Seafoam Vs. Stabil Marine

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
Is one of these better than the other and why? If it makes any difference, I have a Merc Optimax 150XL. Thanks, Sean

Never used either of those, but I have been using Star Tron for seven years (two different engines) with no issues. So I assume it works.

Steve

I treat them as two different products. Seafoam for cleaning and Stabil for freshness/longevity. For me it's like comparing apples to oranges. You can't

Dennis in Al

Looking at their website and product description, they mention keeps gas fresh for 2 years, that's why I was asking about the use. I thought they were two different products also? thanks, Sean

I have VERY good luck with Sea-Foam. For Opti-Max engines, it does a great job of keeping the injectors clean, pumps, rings, etc. Good stuff. ;)

Bob,

I just had a buddy tell me that the local Tracker Marine store in Memphis TN advised him to stay away from Sea-Foam. Something about problems with some Mercury motors and they are not convinced that the Sea-Foam is not the problem. What say you on this one? I told him you were a believer in it and that I trust your judgment. I will say this, I just added Sea-Foam for the first time in my 90hp, ever since it has been a bear to start when cold. Not saying thats the issue, may just be a random thing.

I use Marine Stabil every time I add gas and use Seafoam every other tank or so and have never had a fuel related issue. Considering I used my boat 3-4 times a month it is probably overkill but I would rather be on the safe side.

Per 6 gallons of fuel. Do this and you won't have any fuel issues.

-1oz Marine Stabil

-1oz Quickleen

-2oz SeaFoam

I've never heard anything bad about it before and was curious as too who all uses it instead of Stabil. thanks, Sean

A little history on how I stumbled across it....

As you might be aware I raced boats for quite some time. My 300+HP drag motors would need injector cleaning now and again. Not so much for cleaning as consistent injector flow rates. Found out that some of the stuff used in the injector cleaning machines was in fact Sea-Foam. Didn't pay much attention back then. Since I moved out to the "country" I heat my home exclusively with wood, so I do a lot of cutting, splitting, etc. The small engine repair guys {since the advent of ethanol fuels}, were having nightmares with saw carbs, lawnmowers, etc. They have used it for years with excellent results, so I started to use it. NEVER had any problems with my stuff and I purposely set out to test it with what I had. The results were so good, we started to use it at our shop, then selling it as a result of the tests and the rest is history. I service approx 2500 boats annually, and see it all. What works, and what doesn't. It is very rare to find anyone who is using Sea-Foam the proper way to have issues. ;)

Bob B, What is the proper way for me to use Sea-Foam in my 2012 Mercury 150 Fourstroke? Thanks! Targa

Per the instructions on the can itself, as preventative maintenance...;)

Bob - what about using Seafoam as a "decarbonizer"? There's a famous post over at the Hulltruth boards called "Dunk's Decarb Method." Simply put, Dunk advocates use of a high concentration mixture of gas and Seafoam (10 oz per 1 gallon) as a one time treatment. In essence, you warm up the motor using regular gas, switch to the mixture and run a few minutes to saturate the system, shut down for a soak period, and then restart on regular gas to burn out the dissolved/loosened carbon. After two cycles, this is supposed to have cleaned out all carbon residues.

Admittedly, I did this last year on a 2004 Johnson 150hp (family deck boat). Since then, the engine has started quicker and run smoother - or at least it seems smoother to me! I was thinking of doing this on my Yamaha VMax 150hp as well.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back