Sako A7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Eder2

Reaction score
Anybody shoot the Sako A7 in 25-06. I've done some checking and it seems to be a great caliber. Flat shooting, just smaller bullet weights. I was given a new A7 in 25-06 with a 4.5 to 14 Leupold. Pretty great present I'd say!!!!!!!

Oh man that is the worst rifle ever made... To save you the embarassment of ever being seen with it, I will provide you with a prepaid shipping box and immediately take that boat anchor off your hands... LOL

Besides, it will look better sitting next to my "old" Sakos...

They are among the finest made rifles out there... And, teamed with a Leupold... well it don't get much better. Finally, a .25-06 is a fantastic caliber. Although not a .25-05, my .257 Roberts is a death ray on deer. Yous will be that and a little bit more...cool! Great flat shooting rifle for varmints to Elk. (Don't let anyone tell you that a .25 can't take Elk) The .25-06 is very close to the .257 Weatherby. Roy Weatherby SWORE his .257Wby could take any North Amwerican game... ANY. That might have been a bit of a stretch on the big bears and bison... But, everything else is certainly a suitable target.

Great gift, who the heck was that fond of you and do they want to adopt me?

Should be great. The real question is: do you pronounce Sako as "sock-o" or "say-co"? I've heard it both ways and wonder which is actually correct (not that it matters, you still got a really nice present, especially with that glass).

DocGlock, I was always told it was "say-co". I had a Ruger 77 in 257 roberts. Absolute tack driver.Easy recoil and just a pleasure to shoot. Should have kept it but I like to trade.

Rich, Nice present!! New guns are fun. I ordered a Mini-14 Tactical today with four 30 round mags and two 5 rounders. Ya never know when Obama will pull a Clinton!

"Socko" is what the company says... However, here on this continent almost everyone says "sayco"...

The Finnish firm of Suojeluskuntain Yliesikunnan Asepaja was established April 1, 1919. It prospered under military contracts and between the world wars supplied rifles to hunters and target shooters. The company was later renamed, mercifully, Sako (correct pronunciation: "sock-o").

NICE rifle!!....I'm jealous too!! :wub:

Greg,...I have a Weatherby .270 mag "Sporter" model,..with a Nikon 3-9X40 scope and a factory muzzle brake. It's an absolute tack driver too...and a riot to shoot...the brake makes it recoil like a .223!! Carlos shot it last summer and was very impressed with the clover-leaf groups. There's just nothing like an accurate rifle...............but with ammo @ $52.00-60.00/box I don't shoot it as often as I'd like to!!

Mac,

Statr reloading... 100 cases will last forever. We (son and I) reload for everything.

Rich, HNRD (Happy New Rifle Day)! Hope you spend many happy hours behind the trigger.

Mac, the reloading gear to get you set up for the Weatherby 270 Mag would run you about $100, and wouldn't take up more space than the top of a B&D workmate table. Another $100 gets you everything you need to load a few hundred rounds of ammo that can equal the best performance you'd get out of the premium stuff. Sure hope you've been saving that brass!

Here is my Mini-14 Tactical in .223 that just came in today. Can't wait to get out on the range after New Year's. Merry Christmas to me!

Mini-14 Tactical.jpg

nice action Rich. Very accurate and they are one of the best 6.5-284's and Palma rifles I have shot!

I am headed out Sunday to the range to try some of the Hornady Superformance for my .222 Remington. Just happens to be the chambering of my late 60s Sako L461 Heavy Barrel Deluxe Varmint. (I have owned it since I bought it new). The new Hornady should be amazing, giving .223 velocity and trajectory from my .222Remington. Hornady reports 3345fps with a 50gr bullet from a 24 inch. My Sako is 23 1/2". This new factory ammo beats anything I have ever concocted on my own. And, it bests the older Hornady Varmint Exspress by 200fps and (zeroed at 200yards) the 400 yard "drop" reduces from 24+" to just over 20". I got "clued in" to this ammo and pulled some strings to get some as a result of the article in this month's American Rifleman.

Greg,

I just read that article today....looks like some good stuff. Will be interesting to see real world results compared to the article.

OK so since we are on the rifle subject. I want a 30.06 to round out my collection of hunting guns. I have been keeping my eyes open for a nice used 700 BDL? Is this a good choice or should I expand my search.

BF
http://Bruce

Despite all of the recent bad press about the Remington 700, I bought a 700 BDL in 30.06 in 1977 and it has been my deer rifle ever since. That being said, Browning A-bolt, Winchester model 70 and a host of other make and models are good rifles.

I am primarily a Remington man... Three 700s, all from the mid and late 70s to tghe late 80s... 7mm Mag, .300 Win Mag and a .338 Win Mag... They are as identical as I could make them, save for the chambering. I have never had a single problem with any of the three. I have three other centerfire rifles, but the Remingtons are "workhorses". (Two sporterized/custom Mausers and my Sako .222Remington.)

I want at least one more 700 a .35 Whelen in a CDL...

And, for what it is worth, I have five Remington Model 1100 shotguns, 3 12s and two 20s. I am equally happy with them.

All of my shot guns from .410 to 10 gauge are Remington but for what ever reason all of my rifles are Marlin. Never had a bit of problem out of any of them, just something I like about the look of the 700 BDL?

BF

Latest posts

Back