Sad but too true

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar Gilbert

Reaction score

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1946:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of

production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1957:

production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1968:

production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1979:

production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment:

Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1990:

By cutting down beautiful forest trees, the logger selfishly makes $20.

What do you think of people who destroy nature just to make a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did

the forest birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down the trees?

(There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In American Schools In 2005:

El hachero vende un camion carga por $100. La cuesta deproduction es . . .

. . . . . .

CJL, I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this. While this was a joke the real world is exactly that. If I choose to move to Honduras because of my job, I expect to learn the native language (spanish), for two reasons: to be able to converse with the indigenous population, and out of respect. Why do some immigrants and current citizens find this unacceptable when moving to this country?

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave,,,,,,,,,,,,,and English is the national language.

BruceM

Actually, Bruce, English is not the national language. Attempts were made in Congress to have English recognized as the "national language" of the United States, but those attempts failed.

I appreciated the original post for what it was - a joke. I literally laughed out loud. On the other hand, I also see the value in CJL's statements about helping kids who speak English as a second language. It is only appropriate that these kids get both the education they need and the assistance in learning English to function in American society. At the same time, there is great value in not assimilating so much as to lose language ability outside of English. As a first generation born-in-the-U.S. citizen, I grew up speaking a different language other than English. In the sixties and seventies, there was such a trend towards total assimilation in formal education that my first language skills have declined precipitously.

I believe there is an appropriate middle ground where kids can both learn English and retain their native language. Likewise, given the world economy, it would be beneficial for U.S. born, native English speaking Americans to learn a second or even a third language. Afterall, how can more education be a bad thing? Studies and experience demonstrate that children are capable of learning quite a bit in terms of languages. Adults should not be afraid of learning new languages either. My mother is fluent and literate at the college level in four languages (including English!). She is an excellent example of how you can learn new languages without turning your back on your native tongue. I only wish that I had been more attentive during my foreign language lessons. I don't blame entirely the education system of the time. I certainly could have done more on my part, but having the support of the system would have certainly made a difference (IMHO). I'll close this diatribe with a joke I heard while in Taiwan, studying Mandarin. It was a joke passed around by many of the international students.

People who speak three languages are trilingual.

People who speak two languages are bilingual.

People who speak only one language are Americans.

JC

CJL, just to clarify. If I choose to move to any other country where the spoken and written language is anything other than english, it would be in my best interests personally and in a business environment, to learn that language to be able to function in that society. I also feel that it shows respect for the citizens and culture of that particular country. JMO

BruceM

CJL, I have nothing against you, I don't know you. What I do know is you are a decent person, no matter what race or color, because I have learned this from this board and you being a member of this board.

What you have done here is what boils my blood :angry:

Nothing was aimed toward you but you chose to act out of your anger and pride. This my friend is exactly what I call racism. You have amplified the term stereotype by your actions and "words".

I see it every day....every day, and it's this sort of attitude that keeps "people" from moving away from racism and stereotyping.

If you have anything further to say to me, feel free to email me for any discussion.

I think everyone should lighten up on this.. I don't know what nerve was hit with you Chris but you have to put this in proper perspective or at least tell us the real reason you're so mad at this.

Yes, every etnic group has gone through this sort of thing but they eventually assimilated and were very proud to do so. I even knew a German family who would not let their kids speak German at home.

And where do we stop wtih the signs that show someone where a bathroom is? Are you just saying that because the leading ethncs group in this country is Spanish? Should'nt we have signs in German, Italian, French?

As for the schools, every study I have read says that total immersion for Latino immigrants is the best and easiest way for them to learn in OUR schools. It is the childrens parents who resist this. And I haven't even mentioned how many are illegal.

As for this not being suitable for this type of board, I will use your phrase about people in glass houses. Take it a little easier will you. I have a feeling your Cuban heritage is raising its head.

And Jim, your joke is funny but if I wanted to take offense, as Chris has done with the original joke here, I could say to your international students that if it wasn't for Americans they would probably be speaking German or Japanese.

Bill

Chris, regardless of the jokes intention, you took it personally and began the "attack".

You want racism - If it were up to me, if you couldn't speak English when you stepped foot in this country, you'd be sent back where you came from. There, I said it. I'm not proud of it.

Now I'm speaking in the same nature and tone you are.....

Jim C, Thanks for the post. If my fingers were ANY good or at least a little faster about getting thoughts typed, I could at least get all the details out. :D

I really don't want it to seem that I am disrespecting anyone or any group. That certainly is not my intention. I am in a business that has required me to deal with Spanish, Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese speaking partners. By them helping me with their language, and me helping them with "southern english", we have been able to converse and conduct business. Many of these people have become my friends over the years. CJL, I'm really not sure what, if anything I said to anger you, but if it did, it wasn't intended to.

BruceM

Hey save arguing for your co-workers. This is where I come to relax and take a break from debate. Good luck fella's and let it go. Fishing is the international language here.

Great you get a spell-checker and I been beggin' for a typist for 2 years. :D

Chris, you've come to this board for lots of other things besides boating and fishing. And you've done it many more times than just a few. I'm sorry, I guess I'm a racist because I laughed at that joke. I laughed at the dumbing down of all of our kids and I laughed about the Spanish and I laughed about the evironmentalists. Do a search on Reconquista and see what the Mexiacn government is saying about the "taking back" of land they lost and how they are helping people get into this country illegaly for just that purpose. And when they have a superior voting block they can do what they want. I happen to have two Mexican young men cutting my grass now. We have a problem communicating. They are young and have a ****ty job like most of us non latinos had when we were young. BUT, if in twenty five years they still can't speak English, I want them out of here too.

I'm sorry if I was wrong Chris but I would have sworn you told me you were 1/2 Cuban descent.

Bill

I acted out being a modern American, what keeps people from moving away from racism is re-assurance that there are many people who feel the same way as the initiator of this joke, that it's "OK" to think, "damm people are taking over this country", "can't even learn the language"

And it's obvious you aren't moving away from the racism.

I amplified sterotype's, and you "see it every day", Good for you!, I live it every day, you got nothing on me Bruce. This was aimed towards me, about me, and towards my ethnic background.

I don't see anywhere in the title of this thread "Attention CJL - here ya go", do you????

And good for you that you live it everyday! So do I and it's people like you that encorage this type of behavior.

I'm waiting for Trep to stoop to your level and start *****ing about calling him a jew :lol:

Chris, just stop it man.. You did get a lot of support when you had those problems. If I remember right there were a number of people ready to drive to New Jersey to help you out.

You keep bringing up extreme circumstances. If your 60 year old uncle doesn't want to learn the language of the country he came to, fine.. But if those two 18 or 20 year old boys working for me don't want to learn the language I want them out of here. Personally, I am damn close to 60 years old and would like to believe I am still capable of learning.

Bill

CJL, to go back to the original joke, and your original remarks. The joke is that Spanish IS the language the class is taught in, not for those who speak Spanish, but for everyone.

I know you have your pride for your heritage, but we have ours too. Part of that is that the language we learned as the "native language" is seemingly being replaced. I'll say this for sure... had I known in high school that there would be so many folks here who only speak, or prefer to speak, Spanish, I would have taken Spanish in high school. As it was back then, Spanish was something that some kids took with honestly no true usefulness in that area (rural West TN).

There was no hatred meant, just a political joke. And don't worry, Trep's aware he's a Jew. :)

You are a friend Chris and I am sorry you got so upset. I want people from both sides to understand nothing evil was meant BY ANYBODY! Either with the initial joke or the response. Sometimes we all laugh at something we shouldn't, or don't get serious about things that we should. That's all.

Bill

Chris said:
"Have you risen above all that leads to hate"?

Two Thumbs Up, Chris!

It's posts like this and the "towel head" post that keep hate alive.

And..... I know you ment no harm to Trep..... We all love him..... But, Michael, please remember that even Jews were discriminated against in the past...... And are yet today by some.....

When she died, we found out that my grandmother was Jewish. Her parents had come here from Lithuania. They told everyone that they were Irish Catholics for fear of harm if anyone knew their background.

My dearest friend, Laurie, has two daughters she adopted in Mexico..... I was sitting with the youngest (13) this past summer discussing racial prejudices..... I suddenly realized that, by being native Mexican, her heritage gave her more right to this land we call "America" than any of us who are of European decent! They were here centuries before "we" were!

God Bless all Nationalities!

me!

Make fun of me all you want - badmouth me all you want - feel free to lay into me, my heritage, my religion, and my raising, because I thank all the men and women who have died to give you that right to do so. Here's my bio:

Caucasian - the so called "majority"

Male - "majority" - though arent' we the minority??

Born a Tarheel, raised in Rural Oklahoma - a "hic" "hayseed" or whatever you want to call me

Attend the Church of Christ - definitely the religious minority in America

I drive an '89 Jeep with 223,000 most of the time

I'm an attorney - who is the brunt of more jokes than attorneys???

Again, rip me all you want. I thank God and those men and women that you can!!

You know, Chris..... I like you more everytime you write!

Even if you do drive a Bling-Bling Ranger! :p

(Please note that I made some additions to my first post while you were posting.)

WOW I take the afternoon off and pick up the wife and kids and what do you guys do!!!

OK this is getting nasty, unfortunetly. I'll see if since Chris took offense at my 5 word response if I can clear up at least my point of view.

First off - Chris - call me a Jew, call me a skinny white yankee, call me a nerd, if its true and a statement about me i'm fine. And yes i'm proud to be Jewish, otherwise I would not over 5 years on this board mention it.

Now Second off - Maybe you and I read the "joke" completely differently.

1. Chris said "Yes it's sad, and True SOOO True, that in this day and age we actually help students who speak English as a second language NOT FAIL MISERABLY in School." I read this joke as having NOTHING to do with English as a second language, PERIOD.

2. Chris said "Bruce, the joke was in regards to spanish class in school, Spanish class is either an elecative or required for NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICANS " WRONG Chris, and if it was I would never have posted my response. READ the first line of the "joke":

Teaching Math In American Schools In 1946:

I read this as a progression of change (if you remove the last line) from teaching MATH in MATH Class with a challenge, to the dumbing down of our public schools to where the 1990 "joke" has the question, the answer and a focus on touchy/feely/politicaly correct question NOT MATH in a MATH class.

Second on this part, since the entire "Joke" is about Math in a MATH class, presumable (my assumption which I based my 5 word answer on) in an english speaking public school, that last part makes the assumption that the MATH Class for ALL students is now NOT taught in ENGLISH as a PRIMARY language but rather English as a second language in the USA.

SO to Chris, if my answer offended you, I will hope that my above answers the CONTEXT by which I posted my response. It was aimed at the fact that in MY OPINION America schools and government have forgotten about the idea of working towards a Melting Pot of different immigrants working TOGETHER to a common USA language. My grandparents on both sides came from Europe, they did NOT speak Engligh they spoke Polish, Russian, Yiddish... and when they came to the USA in the early 1900 they learned to speak English as a primary language to do business and become PART of this great country. Did they speak their native tongue among family and friends from the old country, sure, wouldn't expect them to do anything else. But running a Tailor shop, Pop would speak engligh to everyone unless they spoke in his native tongue first and could NOT speak english. He then ensured that they knew where to go to learn and helped them become part of our language and culture with OUT loosing their identity.

My 5 words were NOT meant to offend anyone of ANY non-USA origin, race, religion or others. It was meant as a personal comment on the fact that if you go to France and become a legal French Citizen you can NOT do business or interact with the government if you do NOT speak French. Same in Mexico, Peru, Cheq republic and so on...

OK I hope I made myself clear. I did not read every response or post, but I felt if my FRIEND in cyberspace Chris felt I had taken a pot shot at folks who are taking English as a second language to become part of our prime language culture I was not.

Trep

Staci - Thanks, and MAN i'm sorry I even posted now, what I thought was a funny political take on public schools became a nasty ugly post.

SOrry folks...

Chris said:
Just take the joke and replace the question written in english for each milestone in America and replace it with another language of the primary immigrants of your chioce from that era.

You then have a time-table of American History impacted by imigration, that's what must be kept in mind. If other era's of imigrants had it tougher than now because the goverment/society was not as pro-active as it is now and help the language barrier, then at least we can say we have changed for the good.

WOW!!

Chris, that says it about as well as could ever be hoped for!

I guess I'm the one who should apologize for posting what I thought might bring a smile to everyone. That's one of the problems in this world today.....NOT ENOUGH SMILES!!!

Too many people get offended too easily by thinking everyone is trying to take a pot shot at them and are on the defense all the time

*****SMILE FOLKS!!!*****

Chris - First thanks for posting again and having this dialog, so we can both be clear on our intentions. Second if you want to email me or call me (Email to get my #) feel free.

Next - Again, i'm back to a 5 word post related to a specific joke in a math class. There was NO intent, the KEY context from which any offense should ever be taken, to malign anyone, peroid. From my point of view I would have posted the same 5 words if the last part of the joke read (and this is VERY Relevant in GA due to a state lottery funded scholarship if you have a B average, which 50% or more of the incomming college freshman who HAVE b's out of public schools in GA do NOT make it on the scholarship by end of freshman year due to rampant grade inflation and thus NOT learning critical thinking skills (among others) that are needed for college):

Teaching Math In American Schools In 2005:

This a multiple choice question. If you plan to go to college please Answer A, if you answer any other question the school will change your answer to A, so that your parents do not sue the school district for not giving you a B to make the Hope scholarship, whether you are accademicaly cabable of higher education or not. . .

. . . . . .

Added...

Chris, again I fail to see how 5 words from a Jew or anyone else related to a joke that pokes fun at a Math class offended you or anyone in the context the spanish was posted in. Did the other "changes" in the joke offend you? I am offended that our math in public schools (as portrayed exagerated in the joke) has been watered down with few parents taking and teaching personal responsibility for their sucess, and putting the expectation that the government can solve their problems, and if they can't answer the tough math question its NOT because the kid has not learned or is capable of doing the may (or wants to learn, or is TAUGHT by his parents that he NEEDS to learn to suceed in our capitalistic society) but that the teachers/schools MUST teach to the lowest common denominator or the the "mob rules" mentalty, which is NOT the principles this great Democratic Republic was built on.

If you focus specificaly on the context of the joke related to a large influx of spanish speaking people who CHOOSE not to (not the older folks like your father) learn our "common" language or their parents again who CHOOSE to not pressure their children to learn the language that america does business in, then that is thier fault REGARDLESS of whether they are Mexican, Cuban, Russian, African.... Thats my point that I said was so true. Not ANYTHING to do with any families immigrating Legaly to this country and putting forth the effort and time, as my grandparents did, to become Part of not Seperate from this culture.

Trep

I hope we all now understand why racial humor is not a good idea in a public forum. I don't blame Chris for being offended and quite frankly I'm suprised at some of the other replies directed at Chris. I think most of us would have been aghast if the last line of the joke had made a referance to how much profit did Leroy make with the watermelons he had picked ,yet somehow it's acceptable to joke about other ethnic groups.

This country is changing fast and it's not just the home of the white, European heritage, Christian, hetrosexuals anymore. It will soon be the largest Spainish speaking country in the world and if you can't accept that then you're in for a rough time. I have all the respect in the world for the illegal workers who come here to jobs that our well respected Americans will not do. I see them everyday out in the hot sun, laying sod, laying bricks, painting houses, landscaping, and basicly doing the jobs nobody else will do for less money. They live 10 or 12 in a one bedroom apartment so they can send money back home to feed thier families. We need to reform our immagration laws to provide these people the protection of the labor laws.

Harpo

Well, I'm late on this discussion, but I'm gonna give my two cents anyway because I deal with this problem EVERY day at work. I am a firefighter/paramedic in metro Atlanta. My area is about 75% Hispanic, 24.9% black, russian, Indian, etc, etc, .1% White.

I have been told that I should learn Spanish to do my job. Sorry, THAT IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! Like has been said before, if someone comes to this country and makes NO effort to learn English AND legally obtain citizenship...they SHOULD be deported. This is regardless of age (1 day to 90 years) and regardless of race (Hispanic, Russian, Middle East, who cares). If I go on a call and someone needs me (very rarely), they better be able to communicate to me their complaint/ what is bothering them. Whether they do this themselves or bia a translater...I could care less. Otherwise, I'm gonna treat what apperas to be presenting to me. If I'm wrong, oh well. Again, should've learned English.

When I've said "English is our National language", I've heard "where does it say that?". All I say is that when I went to Washington DC and saw the Bill of Rights, it was in English.

I've never been to another country where they spoke English to cater to me. Hmmm, WHY DO WE????

My stepmom was born in Cuba and moved here when she was around 12. She learned English within a few months to get by and perfected it over a couple of years as did her brother, mother and father. If you DON'T learn English...you are too lazy or choose not to.

As far as I'm concerned, if I run a call on someone regardless of ethnicity but not native to hear, and they cannot produce a VALID US ID, see ya. Should be able to call a bus at that point and send them back to whereever.

TRUST ME, I see this, WE PAY for most of their treatment, medicare/medicaid, etc.

I'm Cherokee Indian, with Irish in case anyone wants to know. So, YES, I AM native to these lands.

Let me add please, the above addition to the "joke" related to public school math, was NOT intented to offend any teachers. I have the up most respect for all teachers, and it is the administrators who set policy and curriculia that I point that finger out.

Trep

Go to Europe... France, Germany, Italy and many others speak English so you don't have to butcher their language. My wife told me so :)

And you believe anything your wife tells you mike!!! LOL :blink:

Sooner - Any problems with my remarks, feel free to let me know.

As far as your remarks on well respected Americans and the jobs they will not do - you live in a different part of the country than I do. I watch those 10 and 12 living in a one room apartments collecting from the state and driving $40k plus vehicles and get FREE healthcare while I bust my hump 30 hrs. a week part time. There are also some that do work, as you say, that other will not do for less money, I agree. But those are the ones looking to move ahead and make something of themselves and their families.

Firescooby - right on the money there!

WOW,,,,,,5 words from a Knobby Kneed,Jewish,Skinney White Yankee Nerd,,,and we go from NTOWS to BFHP.:wacko:

Don't take offence Trep,,,,but you do have Knobby Knees.Sorry to be the one that has to say it.:rolleyes:

Everybody go fishing now,no need to save the world all in one day.

BTW,,,,any Dego/Redneck jokes ??? I'd love to hear 'em.

That's all,now I'm going to play Poker.

Steve (can't we all just get along?) Rizza

I'm gonna throw one more point out there and then leave this alone. My ancestors were Scottish, Irish. Over the course of a period of time calling it "exploration" we drove the original Americans, the American Indians, from Their land, and herded them into "reservations" much like Auswich(sp). To me, this is embarrasing to this day. If anyone in this country has a right to feel animosity, it is this group of people. The rest of us are homesteading on their land.

All of us are passionant about our belief's, but I still say, if nothing more than respect for the "home" country and culture, the primary language should be practiced.

No disrespect, only debate.

BruceM

Bruce Y, I think I did let you know. Just wondering what language your ancestors stepped foot in this country???

I have no problem at all with providing emergency medical care for ANYBODY WHO NEEDS IT and shame on anyone who would rather save a few tax pennies than help another human in need. What has our country become?? When did we become a society of niggardly penny pinching xenophobes? Did you know you can get on a plane and go to just about any European country and recieve not only emergency care but also catastrophic health care for even pre-existing illnesses...no questions asked. I'm also tired of hearing the collecting thousands on welfare while driveing a $40,000 car urban myth. That one has been going around since I was a kid. I have no doubt that there is welfare fraud but not on the level that most of the "not with my tax dollars" crowd is always carping about. Why is no one at all concerned about collecting all the taxes that are either overdue or unpaid due to fraud by major corporations??? And don't tell me that they provide jobs for those tax breaks. They would ship your good paying job to China or India in a heartbeat and still cheat the U.S. out of millions. Where's the outrage on that subject?? Is it that the corporate CEO has the right skin color????

Harpo

OK I'll leave you tonite with a few relevant quotes:

1) I love ya man! (the Bud guy)

2) mmmmm BEER!! (Homer Simpson!)

3) Daddy, thats why they call it fishing not CATCHING!! (Elijah Trepper)

One of the best things about this country is being a White, Jewish, Redneck from Canton GA and being able to listen, learn and meet the wonderful people that make up the NTOWS family. And I mean this for everyone (OK there are a FEW, you know yourselves, who are NOT on this list) "We are Family!" come on down, sit a spell, have a home brew and lets talk openly about those THREE things that everyone says you can NOT talk about: Religion, Sexual Orientation and Ethnicity!"

Trep - An openly Heterosexual, fishing, nerd, Knobby knes CHAMPION (on my honeymoney redneck "cruise" to the bahamas" ), curly hair, contact wearing, Korean AND GM driving, hot tub soaking, blind dog owning, blond wife married, 2 boy father, dead father and brother, IBM home office working, Aluminium boating, home brewing AMERICAN by all counts and means!!!

SoonerFan:

Let me give you a real world FACT. A few shifts ago we were called to "child choking" call. We responded to an apartment complex in our first in. When we got there we made our way to the apartment. This was a 3/2 apartment that would probablt run $1500+ in our area if it wasn't such a ****hole. In this apartment was a table with 3 chairs, a BIGSCREEN TV (at LEAST 65"), no furniture in that room. We were pointed to the back of the apartment by about 5 residents. I opened bedroom doors as I went. The 1st on the right had 2 mattresses and 4 people sleeping on it. The next had one mattress with 3 more in there. The last bedroom (of course) had a mattress actually ON a bedframe with four children ranging from 4 months to 6-7 years old. In there was apparently the mother and father. Luckily the PD officer was hispanic and translated. The reason PD was there was because in our area we cannot respond without PD because of a $25,000 bounty put on OUR heads by a Salvadoran gang MS13.

Anyway, the officer asked if all these people lived here and the answer was yes. They basically slept in shifts. In this 3/2 apartment was 19 people living there. We found out the 5 year old choked on a chip, and was fine. They still wanted him transported. We started asking about ID's. NOT ONE of the "adults" had a US drivers license OR a green card. HOWEVER, the children had PEACHCARE with is the pediatric form of medicaid.

As we carried the child out the father unlocked a four door F-350 4wd truck. This truck was 2003 or 2004 as it had the new Powerstroke door label but not the new front end. Now this truck bought new was BETTER than $40k. We were all dumbfounded. The officer asked him if it was his truck and he smiled and said "Si". This illegal resident owned a truck I cannot afford by working 53 hours/week in an atmosphere that most people would refuse.

Now you can say that this "URBAN LEGEND" does not exist, but buddy...I live it. Has this made me somewhat prejudice...yes. But you tell me that it wouldn't. We've been shot at while on calls by hispanic gangs in the area. We've fought fires that have been set on purpose by gangs and booby traps (holes cut in floors, bags of gasoline hanging from the ceiling, etc) set for us.

Sorry, but a post by someone that hasn't seen it isn't gonna change my stance. Also, there are plenty of people of hispanic heritage that either don't know or don't believe things like this happen. I'm not prejudice to everyone, just the ones that abuse or take part in it.

Scooby - we have GOT to fish together man!! You name the lake, boat (yours or mine) and the date and time and i'll be there (just ask Rich, Staci, Neeley, Steve, Bob G or Tex).

From a never served woosie who ADORES (in the correct sense) my brothers/sisters who are in the military, police, fire, schools and all - DUDE we gotta FISH!!! Then you can count yourself in minority who have fished and been SCOOLED by Trep the skinny assed Jew!!!

Trep need some sleep!!!

Lamar, you didn't do anything wrong..

Michael, you didn't do anything wrong either...

Now, let's end this idiotic thread .

Bill

So have you heard the one about the wop, the jew and the polack...?

Trep...I'd love to. We've talked about it, but really, this Fall we need to get an area get-together up. I'd love to meet all of you guys. Seriously, let's start looking for some days this fall. I've never been to Allatoona at all. Lanier, I've been on it quite a bit, but still trying to learn "my section". "My section" is Wahoo Creek, the Hootch above Clarks Bridge, and where Wahoo, Little River, and Hootch meet just north of Hwy 53 Bridge. You can fish on the "SS NEVERCATCH" anytime. She may be 5 years old, but she is in pretty good condition. I bought her with 2 years on here and the prop still looked new. The previous owner said he only run about 2, maybe 3 tanks through her. In the 3 years that I've had her, I've only put 4 tanks though her per season. She's always kept in the basement, washed regularly and polished every fall. She's only been out maybe 5 times this year, with the last being in early May. Ever since then the cover has been on because I've had to move her out periodically to do some projects that needed her "bed". She's never been left out in the rain, all would in the boat is still solid. Only rotting that I found this spring was one of the side bunks that is used as a guide. Anyway, enough bragging about my yacht. Can you tell I really am proud of her. I got a deal on her and have provided her with a warm, caring, loving home. I think she still aches to have a BIG SPOT land on her decks one beautiful day. I have been thinking of selling her for various reasons, but everytime I go down to check on here...somehow she is able to ever so slightly shift around so that the trolling motor is nudging me in my neck. Much like my daughter does. So, the selling thoughts are for noe...on the back burner.

I have no doubt that you could school me, and I'd appreciate the lesson. I've never went out a single time with anyone when I haven't learned something. My fishing record though makes it painfully obvious that I haven't learned nearly enough.

You know more of who is in the area and might be willing to do a meet, so let me know. Also, a twosome trip is fine as well. Let's look into it.

Oh, BTW...in case noone has seen the "SS NEVERCATCH" before...here she is just preparing the brave the obstacle filled upper Chatahootchee solo from Hwy 52/Lula Bridge. As you'll see in the photo, all appeared to very quite...and it was. Long, slow, lonely hot September day.

boat 004.jpg

Hey all, the truth is that we are all just visiting this planet called Earth and when it comes to America, the white folks were not the originals here. Ask any Native American! The white folks didnt take time to learn their language so why should any other race? We are only borrowering what God has loaned us.:D NOW, lets go fishing!!

No Chris I'm not going to see it any other way and I'm sorry you're dissapointed. It was a JOKE, albeit in somewhat poor taste but you admitted yourself you had a knee-jerk reaction. No I wouldn't have jumped all over you for a joke about blacks. I would have read it, said UhOh, and then left it alone. All I was trying to do was end this thread. I personally don't care if you are yellow, green, red or purple but I do think the sensitivity thing has gotten out of. Where does it stop? If someone posts a blond joke is he going to catch hell for it? How about telling ramp stories? Should we make fun of someone ignorant? I stand by everything I said and I'm about as far from being a racist as anyone you have ever known. If my statements lacked sensitivity and hurt your feelings then I do apologize for that was not my intent.

Bill

Am I still welcome to go fishing?

Sooner - since I'm part Scottish, I will have to say they spoke some sort of English when arriving in this country. I'll be sure to ask my grandfather next time I see him.

As far as everyones interpretation of my "attack" directed at Chris, go back and read his first TWO replies. Then tell me why I came across so strong after my first reply. I offered to speak with him off this board, he refused. The offer is still open, and I will open it to any member of this board.

Chris - I read your last reply. You seem to think I am the typical white American that lives next to the ghettos. Sad to say, I am not. Had you taken the initiative and contacted me off this board, you may have found that I live in an area of "white trash" (whole nother subject). You may laso have found out that over my few years I have had many friends of your heritage (maybe not Cuban, but generally speaking, Spanish), and have worked right along side them. Those, much like yourself, I do not think of as part of the "other" parties as Scooby mentions. What made me mad was your firing right off after the joke and Trep's reply.

As far as being "attacked" - no, I did not attack anyone. I simply responded in a manner and attitude that Chris was handing out. I have no problem with Chris (which I mentioned earlier), and still don't. It was the attitude and pig-headedness that I had a problem with.

I'm done with this thread and conversation on this board. I will welcome any and all comments pertaining to this through email and/ or a phone conversation. I'm not going to hide behind this computer. If I don't hear from anyone, I'm assuming we are all cool :)

Scooby - DUDE our boats are the same age!! And MAN it seems your's loves you as much as mine, even though I adopted her right from BPS at 3 days old, instead of 2 years! Mine also had always been in the garage (until this house I kept my saturn outside so she had her "bed" always. And like you, the factory cover is always used when she's not in the garage and when she's at Tracker for her annual check up. I'm off to Canada the first week of August, lets' see what we can do in Sept or Oct. I'll start a new thread on this.

Chris - I'm not mad at you, never was. I was and am still somewhat confused as to why you took offense at my reply. I'm sorry my responses didn't make my points clear. But unless we talk off line/email we may never understand each other, and that's OK too. To quote the big purple Dinasour "I love you,You love me, We're a happy family..."

To the rest of you folks - On issues of politics, religion, and such I have found on this site that we will NEVER agree. BUT, just by calmly expressing our opinions and views, we have the opportunity in the safety of our homes, to learn more about the positions and perspectives of other people.

Chris - no problem with the email thing, understood. My offer still stands when you are ready. At the very least, we can talk to each other like adults and clear the air. Honestly, I look forward to speaking with you. :cool: No harm, no foul.

Sooner - look forward to hearing from you too ;)

Hey Chris - Same offer here dude, you and the family ever make it to the south, we'll show you some good old fashioned Jewish Redneck Hospitality!!! and I mean that!!

Trep

Chris, of course I still want to fish with you, and one day I will.. I still consider you my friend and hope you feel the same way.

Bill

re: Sad but too true by me!,8/5/2005 16:46 ET

Chris wrote:

"Have you risen above all that leads to hate"?

Two Thumbs Up, Chris!

It's posts like this and the "towel head" post that keep hate alive.

My "towel head" post was directed at one very specific group of people.....Islamic TERRORISTS.

If that makes me a racist, then so be it.

I have a hatred for these bastards that goes beyond anything I've ever felt before....if that makes me racist, then I'm racist to the very core of my being, to the point that my primordial instinct to kill starts to surface.

Towel-heads, ragheads, little sheet heads, whatever anyone calls them, if they're Islamic terrorists, they deserve all the hatred that can be directed at them. :angry:

"just hit the back button,and move on with a shake of your head"....

a great piece of advice that Toxic once posted.

I do believe this thread has officially gotten out of hand :).