Ruger GP100 question.

• Thread starter Staci Matheis [URL]http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/F
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
I was at as gun store today and noticed something different about a GP100 in their case..... The barrel was a funny size..... It turned out to be 5" (normally 4 or 6") and the guy at the counter said it was a special edition. I liked the balance so well, and since I had been thinking about getting a new 357, I put a deposit on it.

The Ruger site describes it as "Limited Edition DAVIDSON'S # 01740: Stainless 357 Magnum with 5 inch barrel and Special Black Case".

Anyone know who Davidson's and their #01740 is?

Not that I care - I just loved the balance!

me?
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1740&return=Y

Staci,

I don't know about this particular issue... But, 5" barrels were popular in law enforcement in the 40-50-60's and were routinely offered by Colt and S&W in their popular law enforcement models. It was a very nice handling size and the extra inch in sight radius and barrel weight helped accuracy. When more sophisticated holsters cane into being (and swivels fell out of favor) they were generally "high rides" and did not work well with barrels longer than 4 inches.

Staci

I've seen several Ruger GP100's at gun shows. I don't know what the Davidson business is unless it's related to the Harley's. Ford truck has a Harley Edition in Black. Maybe Ruger is getting on the bandwagon. Ruger's are great guns as everyone knows. The five inch barrel is easier to handle and gives a bit more fps than the four inch(not much). One thing about the 357 is the ammo comes in many different flavors and you can also shoot 38 special and +P. They stand behind their product and will even send you a box to return it for repairs should you need to. Good luck on your purchase.

fatrap

Yeah! Without the nose-heavy feel of a 6"!

Thanks for the input, Greg!

Thanks, Mike!

I've had several 357's - all Rugers..... First was a 6" (or was it 6 1/2") blued Blackhawk..... Then had one of the first stainless Security Six's in St. Louis in 6".... Then had a 4" GP100..... All of which are now gone.

Greg told me I couldn't stick with my sissy 22 and that I had to get a "real" gun! LOL!! Wish I could have afforded a 629! :)

Me what's Missouri's concealed carry laws like? Do the honor any other states.

Mike

I don't know, Mike..... I actually have lived right across the river in Illinois for the past 2 1/2 years. (20 miles ne of the arch)

I've never worried about conceal & carry anyway..... Kinda hard when you tend to have 6" guns!

I do have a Taurus 94 and have had a couple of the S&W 63's in the past that I have stuck in pockets and tackle boxes..... But that's as close as I come.

If you have ever handled a Colt "peacemaker" in 5 or 5 1/2" in .45 LC you will have felt one of the most natural pointing pistols, ever... And, that was a favored Law Enforcement weapon in the south and west... and in Missouri through the 20 and 30's.

The Gov't model .45 ACP that I favor is a 5" barrel... less muzzle flash and more velocity.

In a revolver it is not a good holster carry length (if you are riding in a squad car all day) unless you carry it in a pancake or other similar holster that places the cylinder at belt height.

Greg -

It looks to me like the revolver in that picture is a 4"..... Not the 5" it's supposed to be. That's ok - Ruger did the same thing on their site!

I've shot the 5" Colt 45.... VERY nice.

I've also owned a couple of stainless Ruger Mark II 5" bull barrels..... You're right, 5" does seem to be about the most natural length.

Me!- My dad has one of these guns. In fact he carried it on duty up until this last year they required automatics...he likes a revolver better because it won't get jammed.

I've shot the Ruger gp100...VERY NICE GUN..i like it a lot.

My dad really knows the in and outs of it so if you have any detailed questions about let me know and i'll shoot it by them

Also...another random fact..this gun was standard issue to all US Marshals up till a few years ago they started using Sig Sauer and glock automatics. last year they required all people to use a automatic.

BJ

Thanks, BJ!

Did the Marshals have 5" or the 4"?

Please, ask your father if he knows what the "Davidson" thing is all about.

Staci...

Davidson's is the parent company for Shooting Times and several other publications. They routinely have guns made up to their specs and sell them through dealers. They do the same with high powered rifles and have had some commercial success with their line of magnum rifle cartridges (STW...Shooting Times Western) The 5" Ruger appears to have been generated by them...

ah..... now I see.....

Do they have some sort of contract with Ruger that says that Ruger can't make any more 5" GP100's?

When I did a search, I saw their name connected with Ruger on a special edition Mark II and I think also an M77 and the over & under shotgun Ruger makes..... But the Mark II was engraved to make it more of a collectors' item while the GP100 is very much a shooter.

I haven't read Shooting Times in many years. I hadn't made the connection..... But now that you mention it, I think Davidsons also publishes car magazines and other special interest periodicals.....

Buzz

Thanks for the site. I'll check it out. I recently aquired my CCW permit in Iowa as was wondering about the recipical states who honor out of state CCW's. We have a bad Meth Lab problem here due to deserted farms etc and it was recommended that I have "something" while I'm out training the dogs in remote locations.

fatrap

Me!-My dad didn't know about the davidson thing..but Gregg took care of that.

They used the 4 inch barrel. I really like my dad's gp100. it is fun to shoot...but I sure have fallen in love with his new glock they gave him a few months ago.

BJ -

Did the Marshalls have a specified load for their guns or were they allowed to shose their own?

I know that if they carried a 357 it must have 357 in it. they could carry a 38 as a back up. They couldn't carry a 357 with 38s in it.

My dad is given a box with a TON of bullets at the beginning of the year. This is for normal duty and when they have to qualify with their guns. Every 6 months they go to the range and shoot to "qualify"... I got to go watch one year. its pretty cool. Its more target practice than anything else. Every few years he has to go to Georgia to re-train...well its really a refresher course and to stay caught up with the new tactics that are out and stuff.

Basically they can shoot their own bullets if they want to. We go to the range here some not a ton (usually fishing..we'd go more but fishing comes first)...

I wish ranges were set up in a more practical way for those of us who like to hunt small game with handguns..... Moving squirrel-sized targets!

Hey you shoot squirrels... I thought you would give them a pass... kind of a "family" thing... LOL (That folks, was just too easy... too, too easy... j/k... I know it's really turkeys that you don't shoot...LOL)

Editors Note: The opinions expressed here by the members are not that of management... And, on behalf of all squirrels and turkeys... we apologize!

LOL! You should try some of my squirrel stew, Meyer!

Or smoked turkey breast!

Actually, I prefer coyotes and groundhogs.... Can't eat 'em so I don't feel oblidged to clean 'em. I hate cleaning game. That's why most of my fishing is catch and release.

I get bored shooting at bulls-eyes..... I refuse to shoot at human silhouettes. I get a very erie feeling everytime I see someone doing that. OK, if you're in the military or police, that's what it's all about, but the average gunowner, no..... I would love to try some of the competion style shooting with the moving plates and such but have no desire to shoot competitively.

Picked it up!

Took it out to a deserted area just to test fire a few, quick rounds through it and do a rough sighting-in..... Winchester +P 125gr JHP and .357 125gr JSP..... Fired about 50 rounds total..... Sweet!!

I've had several other 357's; a Ruger 6" Blackhawk, a 6" Dan Wesson; a Ruger 6" Security Six and a 4" GP100..... This one has them all beat for smoothness and balance!

The one thing I don't like is the ramp front sight. Even though I painted it bright orange, I still have difficulties judging the elevation of the barrel. Guess I'll just have to replace it with an aftermarket partridge-style.

The "Special Edition" on the case is just a stickie..... You'd think they'd do it right and emboss the case itself, wouldn't you.....

Maybe next week I'll get to the range to try it on some paper at 25 and 50 yards to get it sighted in and really test the accuracy. (It's AND mine!)
Ruger%205in%20GP100.jpg

Staci...

I had some "flirtations" with partridge sights... I finally settled on the ramp as the best all around choice... I had an insert in a few...but now use "sight black" and then paint on a white insert... bottom of the white is the 50 yd elevation for the pistol... The key is the sight black... totally deadens the reflection and still retains the snagless feature of the ramp...

Staci...

I think I can spare a bottle of teh sight black... so I'll send an e-mail if I have a "good" second bottle...

Thanks, Greg!

Remember though..... I'm a hunter, not law enforcement..... "Snagless" is great if you're concerned about drawing and shooting in the same motion. I tend to be sitting on my butt (usually asleep :))... under a tree... waiting for a squirrel to wake me up or calling a coyote... with the gun already in my hand.

I tend to sight-in for a bit high at 25 yards; then I'm dead-on at 50 yards. If I want to take a shot beyond 50 yards - I shoulda brought a scoped rifle!

I haven't done any hunting here in Illinois, almost all has been in Missouri. In Missouri's thick woods, I can't think of more than a handful of shots I've ever taken/wanted to take that were over 50 yards.....

Although I think you are probably right about the reflection causing the problems with elevation..... This is a target I shot a few weeks ago at 25 yards with a Taurus Tracker, 6 1/2" barrel in 22 mag, arms resting on a bag, open sights and shot single-action. Lines are 1" square. It's a 7-shot revolver; one shot was way off center. It's basically a 2" group except that it's stretched vertically because of the elevation difficulties I was having. The gun came from the factory with a red insert front ramp. The insert is very bright and reflects quite a bit of light..... It could also be that I am out of practice; it's been 6 or 7 years since I've done any real handgun shooting.....
Taurus%2022mag%20target.jpg