Report from lake X...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Where: Woods Creek Lake (near London KY)

Size: >700 Acres

Avg Depth :35 feet

Deepest depth: ~130 feet

Water Temp: 74-75 at the surface

Water Clarity: stained but easily 4-5 foot of visibility.

Home of the Ky Lake Record for LargeMouth Bass@ 13.54#s.

Weather: It was <i><u>supposed</u></i> to be partly cloudy with a 30% chance of rain in the afternoon. It turned out to be overcast and started raining 30 minutes after we launched. Had one downpour that activated the bilge pumps after about an hour of rain at 10am.

Fished main points from the launch to the damn (can I say damn here?). Covered about 4 "lake miles" of shore. Threw grubs, crankbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits and senkos. A few small bites, a couple of "trepper" size LM. Found active sunfish beds, and saw a couple of medioum cruising bass.

So:

Got soaked.

Got Nearly skunked. (hey, catching one sunfish is better than no fish at all).

But Primarily:

<b><font color=blue>WE GOT TO GO FISHING!!</font></b>

New Baits tried:

Picked up some new "Gulp" Senking worms (senko likes) and curly tail worms... These got hit, but I watched one bass come down, "kiss" the worm and leave... Definitely not "4x better than live bait"!

Also tried some of those "Reaction Innovations" Beaver Tails (texas Rigged with 3/16 bullet). While I only got one hit on the thing (probably a pissed off sunfish) I liked the way they "fished". Very heavy, could be pitched without wieght, but very slow fall. Will probably keep working this bait as a jig/pig alternative. I think it has promise.

If we could start the day over (rain not included) We probably should've headed to the very backs of the creeks and looked for more isolated cover. The main lake points looked extremely good, plenty of shallow and deeper stumps and rocks, but the fish just weren't there.

Hey, that's why they call it fishing, right?

Tony sorry to here about not having any luck. Do you still planning on going this weekend? I couldn't blame you if not. So in comparison...how do you think it ranks against Wilgreen?? (Minus the "monsoon") I would like to get in the river sometime this year and fish but the way it looks like right now it may be August before we can! Maybe I need to fish Reba this weekend (lol) Heck last year we cought 10 to 20 just about every afternoon we fished. Only problem is you had to trailer with the trolling motor, a real pain sometimes. Then there is always Jacbobson! Hey I have a few good stories about the "Tracker" on Jacobson (big fish there LM and crappie). I will share them sometime when I have a chance to tell them. Let me know if your going back and I will see if Ic an make it.

Donnie

At this point, I doubt we are going back to WoodsCreek. It is a beutiful lake, and proababy has alot of good fish in it. Would take time to pattern. No one posts anything about it.

Compared to Wilgreen... no moss, no weeds (that we found) Not sure if that is good or bad... I think if we would have found the fish, we would like the lake, but ... We may go back someday, but not as quick as planned. Best thing compared to Wilgreen is the ramp. Wilgreen's ramp is the one thing that makes me hesitate putting in the 901.

We're thinking about running down to Willisburg on Monday. The weather is supposed to dry up. (yeah, heard that one before). I've heard many good things about that little lake too.

Don't tell me you actually launched the boat at Jacobson? I didn't even think that was legal! I may have seen you there, barb and I go up there on occasion to bank fish after work and play with the little sunfishes. I can remember seeing a tracker on a couple of occasions. I've always thought If I could get to that treeline there would have to be a few bigger fish.

I've caugte a couple of 'eyes out of there from the bank. and 1 nice bass. I think they come over the drain pipe from the private lake accross the street. From what I hear, taht is _the_ place to be. Of course, the waiting list is huge.

I know the feeling about the river... If it ever calms down it could be good. Of course, all of the fish are probably swept to the Ohio by now. We usually fish the NoneSuch and Clays Ferry pools. It will be atleast 2 weeks I figure before any of the local lakes/rivers truly straighten back out.

It will be a week before they can get herrington back to Summer pool. Probably the same for Cumberland.

The only hope is the little lakes. Nice thing there is no water fleas!

Let me know what time you plan to go down to Wilgreen, might just have to meet ya there!

Yeah we put the Tracker on Jacobson. We checked with the city and they said trolling motor only and the big motor had to be out of the water. The last time I was on it was in 2000. I "heard" since 9/11 they would't allow any boats with motors so I haven't been back. The side against the golf course is the best, all kinds of stumps and downed trees. We used smaller watermelon jigs and usually cought 4 or 5 a piece. In the winter they move the docks to the golf course side. So one Feb day my cousin Rodney and I took a canoe across and I bet we cought 100 to 150 crappie under those docks. No one I ever tell will belive me!

Anyway Willisburg is a good lake. Haven't been there in a few years but when we went I REALLY liked it. Seems like it was a lake you could catch a bunch or only a few. Very little boat traffic.

Wilgreen maybe a plan...what about this weekend? They have tournys on Fri or Sat night?? I cant remember. I may be headin' there Sat morning or Linville (i need to figure that lake out to) Let me know if your headin' south this weekend maybe we can get together.

Donnie

Cecil,

We fished Laural lake once last year.. so clear it was spooky. saw a monstor LM at the marina where we launched, but never caught it.

Don.. Will let you know later tonite about Wilgreen... We might just have to run over there Sunday... have a feeling that it will be packed tomorrow with this burst of nice weather.

Definitely going to Willisburg on Monday.

Don..

Wilgreen has a Tourney tonite from 7-1 and Sunday AM 7-12

Latest posts

Back