replacing Merc decals

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron cooley

Reaction score
I just recieved a new upper cowl and decal set for my 05' 75hp Optimax. Anybody have experience with the decal instalation?? Are they soak in water decals or peel and stick stickers?? They took a long time to order so I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

Wet application does allow you to work it a little before it permanently sets up. You can use windex or water. Graphics installers have special solutions(Rapid Tac is one brand) to help, but don't need the special stuff for what you are doing. Buy a small handheld plastic squeegee to wipe across the decal from the center out to set it into position firmly. Another trick is is to make a masking tape hinge. Prior to removing the decal backing take a piece of 2" wide masking tape as long as the decal. You can put it against your shirt first to remove some of the tackiness. Once again graphics installers have a special less tacky version of this tape, but you don't ned for a one time job. place the tape along the top edge of the decal with approx 1" on the decal and 1" hanging over the edge. Locate the decal where you want the final placement and then squeegee the masking tape onto the motor cover to hold the decal in place. Then fold the decal upward using the tape as a hinge and then start peeling the backing away at the top. Use the squeegee to wipe down the decal as you begin to lay it back down onto the motor cover. Continue to peel away the backing as you lay down the decal with the squeegee until it is completely secured to the motor. You can do this either wet/dry. Carefully pull away the masking tape hinge up and away from the decal and you are done. If you use a wet application then wait a little longer before you try to remove the tape or the decal might move. Work any bubbles that might have formed under the decal out to the edges until they disappear. If you find a stubborn one that will not move you can take a small exacto knife and make a small slit(1/16") to force the air out of and eliminate the bubble. Unfortunately you get better with practice, but you should be ok.

Don't put any on It.....Make everyone guess what It Is and the H.P.....BWHAAHHHA Jr

It does look awsome all phantom black. Only because the Opti is so big. It's only a 75 Opti but it's bigger looking than a 200 EFI. I need a project for this weekend anyway. My saturday fishing trips are over untill the end of my sons AYSO season.

Latest posts

Back