Remote Oil, Part Deux...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Ok...

All lines appear tight..

Took the cowl off, took the cap loose on the motor, ran the motor (on the muffs).. no oil appears to flow.

There is one spot below the lower line (the one that goes thru underneath the engine to the opposite side of the oil tank) that 'might' have a spot of oil on it.

Before I take it to the dealer, is there anything else I can check or do?

If I take it to the dealer, what am I looking at for repairs? any ballparks out there?

After looking at that pic yesturday Sim...I'd also be curios as to what that line fitting goes to also.

I dont know if my oil line was broke in same place as yours but I could not find the leak on 115 merc dealer charged $85 $12 for parts rest labor

JD

Regarding the pic, it's a purge fitting (blow by). Does not come into play with sim's problem described, unless possibly, (and I mean EXTREMELY rarely) the fitting's toast. FWIW - Try installing a pressure cap (or let the system pressure up on its own) and soaping the system with a spray bottle to check for bubbling/leakage from the main tank cap up to the saddle tank. Good luck!

Just remembered. We have had a few 9's lose oil pressure through the remote fill as well. Check the accordian hose for cracks and around the seal under the deck cap, jug cap and on top at the fill. It will pressure up also for a soap check as well.

Thanks...

Dan... how long for the system to pressure up? Is it as quick as startup?

Been wondering about the float switch, or whatever it is that starts the beeping...

Could it be bad? how to test?

Tony,

First, to avoid any possible damage to that beast, go ahead and premix oil in your remaining gas. 50:1 mixture. Even if the oil system is working properly, you won't damage anything.

Put the hose on the motor in the driveway, take your cowling off. **Turn on Water** start the motor. While it's running, open the cap on the reservoir at the motor, if the reservoir starts to fill, it's pumping from the boat.

Done that...no oil went to the motor. (I assume this would happen fairly quickly, and is not just a "trickle" of oil).

Doing it again tonite armed with "soapy water" to look for air leaks...Failing that, I assume it must be the pump...

how does the pump work? Constantly filling? or is it switched in any way? (Could I have a blown fuse somewhere?) Airlock?

I 'know' the float inside the controls the warning horn... is there any significance to the tone/number of horns? Does that same float control anything else?

Keep in mind, this was all working fine less than 2 weeks ago... and other than some 'rough' water, nothing really changed. (I did catch some big air, knocked something loose? nothing looks loose).

ok... so the oil missing from the 'cowling tank' only indicates an issue with it getting there...

If it were'nt being used in the mixing chamber, I would suspect that the cowling tank would remain full.

The low oil alarm has nothing to do with the 'mixing chamber', correct?

What kind of alarm would I get, if any, should the 'mixing chamber' part fail?

Tony - Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been on the water since my first response. Pat's right on with the advice he's given. (No shock there! LOL!) Your saddle tank should fill at idle pretty quick. (It should fill from empty in about 2.5 to 3 min.) Your crankcase pressure "pushes" the oil up the line in a sealed system. I'm hoping the crank drive gear didn't bust on you. If you're not seeing anything rise into the saddle tank and are confident you don't have any pressure leaks, it could be a busted gear. Again like Pat said, I'd pre-mix and go. Good luck!

Tony,

If'n you want it gone over completely, my guys here are VERY well versed in XB's. Gimme a call 615 797 4760 and I'll have them ready with wrench in hand.

Ditto Pat. A tech is the best way to solve the problem(s) described. I've owned two 250XB's. One scattered shortly after break-in when the oil resevoir didn't have a clear pickup line. (The fill line from the tank was malformed and had no opening to fill up from the main res.) It sucked itself flat, fooling the sensor into thinking it still had oil, and blew #6 through the cowl in a flaming blaze of fire. The second 250XB was bullet proof.

Hey Pat... where in TN are you? I need to figure out a plan to drive it down...

Oh, and I did find one loose screw at the remote fill... I tighted it down... I still have to do the soap test tonite.

Man I hope this is simple.

yeah, I just did a mapquest on it... it looks to be a 250 mile trip... I'm going to do everything I can to eliminate the obvious before heading down... but I do want to come down when its time for a tune up/annual maintanence and have your guys handle it.

I'll let you know the results of the 'soap test' tonite.

If you can't find it, just call, I'll have you in and out right away.

Back