Recommended maintenance question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I bought my 07 Ranger in the fall of 2010. The Yamaha HPDI had 35 hours on the motor. I now have one tournament season on the motor plus pleasure fishing. Getting ready for this year and want to ensure I have done the proper maintenance. I changed the lower unit oil last fall. What else would you recommend doing? I am dropping it off this week at the dealer to get it

Fuel filter , fuel line and primer bulb if you have not upgraded them to E-10 stuff and thermostats. ;)

Bob, do you agree on the plugs and water pump?

What will the upgrade of the line, filter and bulb do?

Plugs can be expensive. I would have your mechanic check them and have him make a reccomendation on replacement. I've had an Opti or five years, my tech checks the plugs every winter says they "look good, don't spend the money" and I keep going.

HP

Water pump for sure. At 35 hours, the plugs could go another year [depending on how they look and gap]...but....it is a good idea to start fresh. Opti's and HPDI's are hard on plugs. You generally won't see a performance deficit that's NOTICEABLE...kind of like watching your child grow. It happens, and sneaks up on you. The fuel savings and "up-to-snuff" performance with new plugs are, IMHO, worth it.

The fuel lines and primer bulbs IF it is NOT e-10 compatible will cause you grief sooner or later. Just this Winter alone, we have replaced them for maybe 100 or s boats...and...they were falling apart, ready to, etc. Replace them. ;)

Those are made from a different material altogether. I have not seen any unusual degradation from e-10 out of the ordinary.;)

Bob B., you recommend SeaFoam which I use. Do I still need the E-10 fuel lines and primer bulb?

Latest posts

Back