question for Toxic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
Toxic,

Maybe he should be running regular (87 octane). Is that what the Mercury people recommend? Also Can running the 93 octane cause problems , like the blown motor you speak of?

Brantley

Run 87 octane ALWAYS,.......never hurts to add a can of "sea foam" treatment every tank full to treat the alcohol. 93 Octane burns at a lower temp...it's not recommended for outboards!

Yes he should be running what the owners manual calls for. It is the age old problem that people thin just because it is "Premium" fuel it is better. Actually, premium has a slower burn rate than regular because it is used in high compression motors. When you run it in a motor not designed for it, there is maximum carbon build up and you risk pre-detonation from it.

TOXIC

I have a 2010 nitro Z7 200 Pro XS I talk to a Mercury rep and he told me you can run either. I don't run the 87 octane because it has ethanol in it and ethanol draws moisture I had other people tell me this is not good for boat motors I run 91 octane.

Latest posts

Back