PT 175 bow storage compartment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Lo

Reaction score
Just took delivery of a 2004 PT175 and need to get two group 31s on board. Has anyone used the front bow storage compartment for batteries? If so, any issues or suggestions.

I've got to ask, why are you going to put batteries in the front bow compartment. I put a piece of carpet sample in bottom mine (fit perfect) and store taclkle boxes in there.

is there an advantage to having your batteries up front?

Feel sorry for NJ bass people. I fish electric only lakes and need 24v 82lbs to get back to the dock on windy days.

I looked in the back and thought that I could only get two 27's or higher if I removed the cranking batt. BUT, I would then have to run all the auxiliaries of the same batts as the trolling motor.

That would be terrific. I can still return the 31's for 27's and save the 20lbs. Do you have to take the rear deck off to do this?

Thats the same way I have mine rigged...sorry Iam not home or I would email you a pic of mine. I even have the guest 3 bank charger on mine....its tight but doable...let me know if you have any questions...mine is a 96 PT17. It should be pretty close.

Donnie

Fish Monksville, Wawayanda, Swartswood, Hopatcong (early or late season only), and Spruce Run. I live in Northern NJ.

i have put those batts in my front storage compartment. they are to big. the height will cause the post to hit the top. Also the boat will pitch foward it nobody else in the boat. One batt in there is perfect for weight distribution..(i picked up 3 mph) i wound up putting my battries in the large storage compartment and made a rack for the front one to hold plano boxxes. Also if you put them in the front the vapors will put a white sheen of acid on the metal that will eat thru if not maintained, another reason to use the large box, its plastic. i have a 65 at and it will pull my boat . (also a pt17.5)along at almost 4 mph, i unfortanately found out it will do that for over 4 miles into a head wind.

post pics when you are done.

mike

These are sealed batteries so vapors should not be an issue. The molded compartment directly behind the front storage is only a few inches more toward the back. I would install the 31 lengthwise and flush against the side walls where the alum is the strongest. I bought PT plywood 3/4 to help spread the load and so that I didn't have to screw down through the bottom even though there should be plenty of room.

I am considering reinstalling a 12volt from my last boat and running the boat with the batteries just sitting there should I decide to make room in the back.

One other consideration. Up front would shorten the cable length to under 6ft worst case, maybe 3ft best case. Compared to 15-20ft the way they are currently routed around from the left side around the console then up front. Would shortening up the cables (to 6AWG too) increase battery reserve?

your battries are not sealed, all batteries are designed to vent even sealed ones. check you battry in you car for acid build up on the terminals. put them where you want you can always remove them later and chalk it up to a learning experience like i did. good luck

Mike C. up above stated that "One batt in there is perfect for weight distribution..(i picked up 3 mph) " with my PC 175 and the 40 Merc, would there be any benefit to move one of my 2 batteries to the front storage compartment? Would the weight actualy give me any improvmenet? I'm not a boat wiz so i don't understand how moving some weight around will improve top end. I could see it improving hole shot or level ride.

Trep

Thanks to everyone for their input. What I plan to do is temporarily place the batteries up front, since doing so requires no modifications to the boat, and go for a test ride. During that time I'll take the batteries out and place one in each of the back storage bins like M S C suggested and then compare the ride in the same conditions with the same load. One would think that Tracker made these back bins for group 31s because the fit is almost perfect once the plastic is removed. If the back makes more sense, then I'll have to lift up the rear deck and route the cables through the rigid foam and up to the bow.

My primary concern with the batteries up front is that the boat may sit too low in the water. Why I am concerned about this I don't know why.

Ah Wawayanda... Went up to fish Greenwood very early one year only to find no launches open. Stopped at a local bait shop where we were told about Wawayanda. Beautiful water! But the weirdest bottom topography!! We were trolling along in 80 feet of water when suddenly the bottom alarm went off - in the middle of the lake!! Some SERIOUSLY steep drop-offs and risers in that lake! Ended up having an incredible day there. Water was very clear for that early in the year.

Agreed. In the summer, the weed are so thick and when the wind kicks up every afternoon, just getting back from the south end taxes your batteries. That is why I have to get the biggest batteries possible in this boat.

Just a quick update. I couldn't find good quality marine style battery trays longer than 13" for my group 31s, which are 13-1/2" long. The next best thing was a gas tank tie down.

Latest posts

Back