Pro's using a net.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Watching the Bass Pro Tournament last week-end in NC on ESPN, I saw Gerald Swindle, I think, lose a fish at the boat attempting to 'swing him in'. Why don't they use nets? Is it a rule that you can't? I don't know if I ever saw anyone use a net (Pro Fisherman). Just want to know what the deal is....thanks, kenny

It was always no nets. Then a few years ago they allowed nets. Now it's back to no nets again.

I think the nets would really benifit the crankbait fishermen. No more trying to grab an angry fish with a mouth full of treble hooks.

Don't know the reason they went back to the no net rule though.:unsure:

Steve

I think the no net rule was first instituted by Ray Scott. He said if you were a pro fisherman you should be able to land a fish without the benefit of a net.

A couple of years ago he started pushing for limits on what size line should be allowed in tournaments. He said it was ridiculous that pro fishermen should have to use 30# test line to catch a 5# Bass.. If they are pros they should be able to play and land a fish. He was suggesting, if I remember right, an 8# to 10# maximum test line for TX's.

I agree with him though I would raise the limit to maybe 14# test. I can't stand seeing pros swinging the fish into the boat. Or getting a hit and cranking as fast as they can without having to fight or play the fish at all. Some will say that they need heavy line to get a Bass out of heavy cover if they get a hit. My opinion is that that's the chance you take when you fish that cover. You work it out of the cover or go in and get it. I'll probably take some heat for this but it's just my opinion, nothing more. It would make tournaments more exciting and then you would also see who is the real fisherman.

Uncle Billy

IMHO:

Heaviest line they wanna use, and nets allowed...but maybe rubber nets...???

Then it will be a determination of who is the best fisherman with light line, not who is the best fisherman. Kind of like if you limited NBA players to 7' and under. It would be who can do the best with what you have, not who can do the best - period. They need to learn to adapt and use whatever line is appropriate for the conditions. That's my opinion, but of course I hated it when the shot clock came into basketball. Then it became a different game. Boy, I sure loved Dean Smith's 4 corners offense!

Swinging a fish into the boat is just idotic. Banging fish against the gunwhale is cruel and unusual. There appears to be this great rush for time or showmanship or whatever. It is not that difficult to reach over and lip a bass--even with a mouthful of crank.

Way back in the beginning of BASS the no net rule was supposed to protect the fish's slime. Seems silly considering the amount of slime that would get wiped off on the carpet. There also was a very proud tradition of safety, and a max of 150HP. When the 175's and 200's started showing up the first year or two you had to have a second boat with a 150HP to fish the BASS tournaments But then safety was more important than money back then to Ray Scott. :(

What's healthier for the fish Bill ? An express trip to the well, or a long drawn out fight on light line ?

I was quite disappointed in Ray Scott a few years ago when he was pushing light line #2-#4 bass fishing in Bassmaster Magazine, so he could sell his rod/reel combo.

After all those years of preaching that over playing a fish to exhaustion leads to lactic acid buildup, and is hard on the fish. Especially in the hot summer months.:(

As a co-angler I would like the no net rule.I don't think I would want the responsibility of netting the angler's $100,000 fish.:)

But Steve R, The angler still can and will ask you to help land there fish. At least with a net I would not have the new scars in my right arm from a smallmouth and a jerkbait. OH and thanks to KVD I only fished most of the morning and not all day with the last hook stuck in my arm. On the water hook removal is a pretty sweet deal. Over the past 3 events I landed a few $10,000.00 fish but no $100,000.00 ones......................

BF

You've got an excellent point Steve and I don't know the answer. I don't think a lot of people know the answer. The "experts" have flip flopped so may times on issues such as this I certainly won't presume to know what's better for the fish. And until the fish can tell us, I don't think the experts will know either.

I didn't know Ray Scott was pushing 2# and 4# test. I thought it was higher and I could swear I read that the pound test he was proposing was more than that???

A fish will survive the stess that causes lactic acid to build up in his system. IF he is released in reasonably well shape and soon after hooked. Carrying him around all day in a miniature pond/aquarium and then carrying him in a bag to a stage where he is roughly handled again and again do the most damage. Now, I have read articles about lactic acid being bad for humans and when you are going to keep the fish to eat you should take a sharp knife and cut deeply right behind his head to kill him and stop the production of lactic acid.

Otherwise I just don't know Steve.. There has to be better ways to handle this sort of thing.

BASS sometime ago suggested having a non-fishing rear seater that would measure and weigh and photograph any fish caught and that would determine the winner at the end of the day. That was quickly squashed because there wouldn't be anything to show the people who show up for the weigh ins.

How about doing like the trout fishermen who are entered in the Winter X Games. They have so much time to fish though it is a lot less than the Bass tx's. BUT, when they catch a trout, they have to decide then and there if that is the one they want to weigh in. If they throw it back and then not catch another fish, that's it for them. They are only allowed one fish. So in the Bass tourney's they could do the same thing. Just enact a no culling rule. Personally I think that would make it even more exciting. You have four fish in the livewell and you catch a 2 1/2 # Bass for number five. Do you keep that or throw it back and then hope for a bigger fish. Geeeez, that would kill me but I'm not a Pro. Ok, of the soap box. Thanks for making me think Steve. It's getting harder and harder to do.:)

Uncle Billy

The no culling rule would make for an interesting tourney. Especially if the bite was hot.

5 fish in the well, and your day is finished.

I'd like to see one or two of them a year. It would be interesting to see the different stragities (sp?). And the ones that push the limit too far, and blow their chance.

Good idea Billy.

Steve

I'd love to see that Steve. Every fish you caught would be a major decision, Especially fish number 5.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back