Prop size for 911 with 250 XB

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelby Loden

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with a Nitro 911 with a Merc 250 XB engine? I'm getting a 911 and putting a 250 XB on it and was wondering what the best prop would be? I would like to try a Tempest 26p but am not sure if the hole shot would suck too bad. I don't really care for a quick hole shot but have to plan for the worst - Full tank of gas, 2 guys with lots of gear, livewells full, and carpet soaked with water from rain...

With a 225 Opti, the best prop was a Trophy Plus 25p. I'd suspect at 26p Trophy Plus would be your best bet, or at least a place to start.

If you want hole shot go to a High Five in a 25 or 26 pitch prop.

If you want top speed go with the Trophy Plus.

T.S.

If that's one of the boats from Pat Goff, I can pretty well guarantee you that he'll set it up right!

Yes this is one of Pat Goff's boats. He's getting it ready for me this week and I just wanted to make sure that I had the right prop on it before I haul it away.

Thanks guys!

Kelby -

I'll bet he also checks out to be sure the lockers will hold 7' rods and the livewells at least 5 fish..... All before you get there! Just to be safe, dontcha know!

:)

me!

We all know the High Five is inadequate, to say the least, but I suspect Travis went to the Merc Prop Selector....those 2 props are EXACTLY what the site recommends, sad as that is to say!!!

Travis is just a kid trying to be helpful.

Ken rode with me in my old Nitro 2000/200 Merc. It would JUMP out of the hole with the High 5. (25P, I think.) Although it really wasn't worth the 5 or 6 mph loss at the top end and efficiency that could have been had with a 4-bladed prop.

Whatever you think Pat. I don't have any desire for any particular prop. Just whatever will give me the best top end as long as it will plane out in the worst conditions without having to send my partner to the front of the boat...

On the performance list there is a 911 with a 250 Verado and 26p tempest that runs 77mph. 77mph sounds awesome but I wasn't sure how the low-end torque compared between the Verado and the XB. If the XB has as much hole-shot power as the Verado then the 26p Tempest might give me equivalent top end.

He also has All Stars in 6'6" and 7' in #4,5 and 6 actions with Curados..... He has full compliments of Senko's and Stick-O's..... Buzz baits and spinner baits and jerk baits..... Worms and lizards..... Tubes and creatures.....

And I can Garr-Un-Tee "whatever is whatever" he'll use while testing!

I think he needs that high five prop. It'll give him a great holeshot. As an added bonus I'll be able to outrun him without resorting to pulling one of his spark plug wires;)

He sure is being fussy about a little thing like a prop isn't he, Brian! Is he always this way? Ge-e-ez.....

BTW..... Since the two of you are right down there in Memphis..... Start making plans now to show off those rigs at the Rally at Kentucky Lake next year! May 5th through 8th, 2005 at The Moors Resort! (See banner that appears at the top of the page.)

I hate I missed this years rally (I had two Tournaments that weekend) and will definitely be at next years if my tournament schedule allows it. I look forward to meeting everybody.

He is sort of picky because his current boat was propped wrong. With a T load and full livewells it would not come out of the hole. One of us would have to climb to the front of the boat and it still took a long time. We fixed that by going from a trophy to a tempest. Still slow but much better.

I'm not saying don't make it run, just make it half a mile/hr slower than my rig:)

Did anyone see the new thread in "Swap & Sell".....

For Sale: One Used Shingle. Cheap. "Tracker Marine Boat Centers / Waypoint Marine" logo. Sure to become a collector's item with the name of "Pat Goff" inscribed on the lower half. Can easily be filled in with body putty an reinscribed with an alternate name if desired.

Also available:

One slightly used, non-current Nitro 898 with low-hours, 225 Mercury. Motor has been hopped up and prop tuned. Sure to bust the chops of any BassCat driven by any middle-aged Texan. No hours on the livewell pumps.

Shingle and boat may be seen at Waypoint Marine, 12250 A Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759, Phone: 512-249-5556.

Deposits taken by the bearded, old man with the tin cup sitting on the curb two blocks east. No telephone credit card payments accepted.

"explaining if you want to pull your 300lb biscuit headed brother in law up with your 3.0L sterndrive"?

Shucks! That's easy, Pat!

Just tell them to feed him a "TOXIC" mixture of "Slim Jim's, pickeled eggs, smoked oysters (from the can), Vienna Sausage and last but not least, big huge deli garlic pickles"..... And then hand him the butane lighter!

ROFL @ your twisted sense of humor!

Aren't you glad to be in the boat bizzness!

And how come you aren't in Springfield?

Or are you.....

If so, say "Hi!" to Sue from Guest for me!

Pat and Staci--- "You are out there"" -- Doing great LOL

Need to get you-all to give me a driving leason or two.

Thanks to Pat - I think I have the right prop -- Now all I need some "seat Time" to learn how to use it in in rough waters..

Keep up the good words -----------

Thanks HaleDamage-----------------------Rick Hale

I agree....keep up the good words and good advice...but Pat.....isn't that Mr. Poole's shingle?!?

Here's a question for those who have rigged numerous boats....Is there often/sometimes/never a difference between hulls of the same year and series? For example, you rig 20, 2004, 929's all equipped identiclly.....How many different props are you likely to use (assume they all have the same motor and jackplate)?

TOXIC

Ditto Pat's comments. There are too many variables to consider that makes "cookie cutting" setups virtually impossible to acheive best results hull to hull. If you want it done right, set it up with/by the best, print your prop, and let 'er rip!

Hull weights are different also....when I was there, you could find as much as 300 lbs variation between hulls.

Is that improved now, Pat?

I know that's one of the things Nitro was working diligently on at the end of '02.

It does take a lot of knowledge, and trial and error, and it seems as though Pat has put in the time to figure 'em out.

So it is differences in the prop....or the hulls...or both? I just find that amazing that line produced products (props AND hulls) have that much variance. There shouldn't be IMHO, consistency is the byproduct of assemblyline production. Hmmmmm.....

TOXIC

OK so what prop do you suggest to get my 2000 Pro Crapie 175 with a HUGE 40 Merc 2 clyinder hanging off the back able to CATCH Dan's 929 with a 250 XB???LOL

Assembly line or not, everyone is trying to produce a flat, heavy object that will skim accross an ever changing liquid surface. That alone is a tough nut to crack and generate en masse. Fine tuning of every hull/motor is the only way to acheive it, ultimately.

To try and get the exact same weight/thickness in layers throughout of gel, foam, etc. is just not possible by any mfg. 30-50 lbs. of any weight in the wrong place will have an impact on top, if you're trying to get that last drop of performance.

As a rough example,

Imagine that you get in your car, start it up, and put it in gear, then hit the throttle and keep it pretty well floored for the 30 min. or so to work down the highway. The handling will be significanly different. Durability and performance of peripheral and aftermarket items will suffer greatly. Specificly from brand to brand and make to make. Although the land speed will differ in this example, that's the closest analogy I can think of. LOL!

So -- Is that why Guys get their prop "blueprinted"?---

I remember we would get a car engine "balanced and Blueprinted" -- get much better performance that way.

HaleDamage-------------------------------------Rick Hale

Latest posts

Back