Pro Guide V-16 Preformance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Franklin

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my 2003 V-16 with 40 HP Merc planning out. If I put more than one person in the boat it will not get up on plane at all. I've talked to the rep at Bass pro and he suggested a aftermarket Hydrofoil. I put on one of the StingRays on it but it didn't help. Looking at my bass pro 2003 catalog the add for the Pro guide now offers a 60 HP. At this point I have a 16 foot one man boat

with a 24 gal tank that you can only put 5 gal of gas in because of weight and a live well that you have to

pump the water out of before moving to the next fishing spot. If I could have test drove this boat I would have never bought it.

Hi Bryan

Has it always had a prob with planing out? Did you just buy this boat or have you had it for a year? How fast does it get on plane with just you in it? Did you have it winterized (If you had it for a year) this past year? if not, did you have it tuned up for spring? Ans these Q's and I or someone else on this site may be able to point you in the right direction.. With a 40, your Boat should have no prob's getting on plane.

Max <><

Something is wrong. I have a ProDeep 17 with 50 hp and I can get on plane with 4 adults no problem. Something is amiss.

david.....

I'm trying to remember on mine if I had put a hydrofoil or not. I seem to recall I did, but I'm not sure. Actually, no I didn't. It was on my TF1800, but the Super-Guide didn't need one. It would plane out fine with two of us and I had the 40 HP too. With a full livewell and 3 people it took a bit to plane out, but it did. It only ran maybe 28 mph, but it did plane out.

Max I got the boat new last summer. I didn't have it winterized or any type of service done It has always had a problem. At WOT with just me in the boat I can run 22 mph at 4500 RPM trimmed out per GPS. With someone in the boat and some light gear the load on the motor will never build enough RPM before running out of throttle. I would say WOT at 3500 Rpm but only 10 mph I have a 4-10-13 prop I was thinking about getting the stock alum prop pitched down to a 11 and try it before spending alot of money on a new prop. The Merc sticker on the motor says WOT 5500. I haven't put it in the shop yet for the 100 hour service. You don't think they have some kind of rev limiter or throtttle stop for break in? If it had more low end to get it up on top faster insted of juts plowing I dont need speed 20-25 mph is fast enough for me but its hard to control or steer when it never gets on a good plane

Bryan, as pmgoff suggests, you have too much pitch in the prop. Get the 11 pitch, and hang onto the 13 as an emergency spare.

Sounds like you need a different prop. The pitch may not be right.

The V isn't much different in weight than the Pro Team 165 and with the 40 HP I had on mine when I owned it it ran about 32 MPH and got up on plane fast.

Bryan

As per re: with pmgoffjr I would start with the 11 inch prop. It does sound like the prop isnt getting the bite you need with a larger load.. If that doesnt fix the prob you may take it to a Boat shop and have them tune it up and check for any type of Vacuum leak. Hope this helps. Need to go pick up my son from school now, but I would like to hear if anyone else has any other rec's for you.

Max <><

I would change the prop. Also make sure the boat is actually going wide open. If you take the cowling off and remove the airbox the throttle butterflies should pen up until they are straight, if they dont open enough you may need to adjust the linkage(a job best left to a pro)

Who was the dealer that sold/rigged the boat for you?

Just curious

Wolf

Stooopid question from someone unfamiliar with smaller motors and aluminum props.....

What does 4-10-13 mean? Is this one of those props that has blades that rotate and adjust themselves to the speed/rpm's?

I'm thinking it's 4 blade, 10" diameter. 13" pitch. But the "4" has got me wondering.

Not that I pay all that much attention to aluminum props..... But I don't think I've ever seen one that was 4-bladed. Seems like it would be an awful lot for a low hp/torque motor to turn...... Unless it were a very small diameter - which 10" is not......

10" diameter is small...most outboard props are 12 to 14" diameter.

4 bladed aluminum is unusual, but they are out there. Composites come in 4 blade, too.

I thought 10" (3 blade) would be about standard for a small hp outboard?

The stock prop on a new 2004 Targa 16 (renamed this year from Pro Deep V 16) is listed as 11.25x10 with a 40 HP. It looks as it should achieve 24-25 mph with 2 people and half a tank of go-go juice.

I just got out my yardstick to get a visual on 4 inches..... That looks like a lot of hub for a smaller motor..... About 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 is what I'd expect.....

Bryan, PLEASE give us the full details and maybe a picture..... Enquiring minds want to know!

And where did you get the prop? Who suggested it?

Latest posts

Back