Power Trim will not shut off??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
Maybe some of you Johnson/evinrude owners can help on this one. The motor is a 2003 115 hp Johnson faststrike. The problem is the power trim will not shut off (unless you disconnect the battery)when activated in the down position. If you disconnect the battery you can use the up side but as soon as you push the down side again the power trim motor will not shut off. If it is a relay how will I know where it is located and which one it is? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brantley

I'm pretty sure it's a relay. If memory serves correctly (and it's been quite a few years - 1995 was the last experience I had with this), I believe both relays were on the drivers side (starboard) of the engine, right above the lower cowling area. Little square block relays. Easy to determine which is which - remove one. If the engine no longer goes up, then you pulled the wrong one.

I had the reverse of what happened to you, happen to me, during a tournament with a Johnson 120. I was headed back to the ramp, and I couldn't keep the engine in the water. It kept trimming up. I pulled the cowling, yanked the relay, trimmed down to a respectable enough position to still get up on plane, but not really trimmed out, and made it back to the ramp.

All the best,

Glenn

I had a 90 Rude did the same thing. Glenn's right on location and it's an easy fix.

fatrap

Thanks Triton Glenn will try that and let you know of progress.

Thanks,

Brantley

Triton Glenn,

You were right on target with your advice! Replaced both relays for good measure and trim worked good.Thanks so much.

Brantley

Keep a spare in the boat just in case. It's cheap insurance.

Latest posts

Back