power to deck mounted fishfinder on 189 sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Palmeter

Reaction score
how is the best way to hook up to power? run a dedicated line to trolling batery or hook in to the trolling motor power or the front lite?

Where is the best place to in stall monitor?

Run a dedicated line to the starting (not the trolling) battery with a fuse.

My boat had extra set of power wires up to bow coming from fuse block. Everyone on here told me to go straight to battery. I called lowrance and they said running to fuse block is fine. It has been working great so far no problems. Just make sure you have correct size fuse.

Let me clarify, TJ you are correct running to a fuse block is fine. I have done a ton of rewiring on my 170DC. I ran some 10ga from the battery to underneath my steering console. I added two new fuse blocks at that point and a ground terminal strip. I then wired all my electronics to it. Okie Bill in response to your email, I have a 170DC and my fishfinders are mounted on RAM mounts at the console and up front. I really like them, you can move (tilt and twist) your units around for easier viewing at each location. I have an older Lowrance 56gps up front and a Hummingbird 596di at the console. Love the Bird unit! It will be moved up front and 1198si or 998si put at the console next year. Good luck!

For the least amount of problems and interference I heartily recommend using a pos/neg pair of 12 or 14 gauge wire (marine grade if handy) and an RFI capacitor on the hot leg. It is well worth the hassle and the $2 RFI. Good luck! ;)

Bill, I just did this on my third boat, check out the menu option above "More", then "Grab Bag", then "Electronics", then "Bow Mounted Eagle".

You asked what is the "best" way to hook up power. chris gave you the BEST way in his first reply.

You can do less and potentially have power issues as your equipment gets more sofisticated. A boat wiring harness has minimum current carrying capacity for low load requirements.

Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again.

+1 to what Wayne P said.

We get more power related complaints than anything else and a boat is a terrible place to be if you are an electrical connection: vibration, shock and a moist environment all add up to loose and corroded connections that mean less power actually gets to your electronics. Wiring straight to the battery (through an in-line fuse) is the best way to go as you have a minimal number of electrical connections and they are now new and clean.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Latest posts

Back