Opti or EFI 200

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig Clement

Reaction score
I got to thinking were better to get a answer than on this site..... my buddy back home(WI) said at the Mercury owners tournament last week, they had something like 15-20 Optimax blow up.... could this be true? I have 2 friends on the Merc pro staff and they both have gone through a few opti pwr heads in the past years.... 1 motor only had 14 hours on it... what gives, I'm a bit afraid to leave my EFI....what should I get on my new boat... the boats here I just can't decide on a motor..

Kraig

Been running an Opti for almost two years now. Just completed her 100 hour service and tech proclaimed her fit as a fiddle. Lower gear ratio pushes the heavy 901 at a solid 68 mph at 5800 rpm. Burns very little oil and even better on gas.

Early Opti's had their problems, but were fixed thru recalls and reprogrammed TPU's (and new thermostats).

My 901 and Opti is a solid combo and wouldn't think twice about buying another Opti. Just make sure you break her in correctly and let her warm up a little in the morning.

Adam, I was hoping you would chime in..... when are you going out to Roberts next????

Maybe we can hook up.

Give me a call if you have a minute... 214-402-8898

Kraig

Adam, what's a TPU? I have a 99 opti and they swear there are no recalls on it. I blew the first powerhead at 43 hours :(.

Kraig,

Thats the main reason I got an efi on my new boat, beside's I looked at some data and the fuel mileage data was not that much difference especially at wot, the opti' are just a few 10ths of a mpg better when running at the high rpm range, where they excel is in the mid rpm range. If you like most of the bass fisher men you rig is either idleing through stumps or running close to wot to your fishing hole.

Just saw a ad. on tv yesterday that Merc. got the free extended warranty back in swing again. They was giving 3 total years on the EFI and 5 years on the opti. But took it off April 15th. Now it is back, be sure to check on it and see what the time frame is. Its a good time to get a new Merc.

I've had EFI's since 1996 never an engine problem, hard to switch from something thats been as reliable as my engines have been.

Kraig sorry I didn't call you just went back to the swap & sell board this am, and saw your message. I'll call you later today. KENNY

Five years is one heck of a warranty. Of course, my motor is nearing the 4 year (age) mark and doesn't have 100 hours on it (BOTH powerheads).

My motor was in the shop for a couple of weeks for that powerhead, luckily, it was in Jan or Feb when it blew... if it blew now, I'd be up a creek with a paddle because I wouldn't have a motor :).

BUT, I'd probably buy Opti again. I can tell you one thing... mine is VERY good on gas. I can't imagine an EFI being that good on gas, but so it goes...

I was faithful Merc EFI owner, until my last boat. Have not had any problems with the 2000 opti yet. 4 or 2 cycle, efi or dfi, all get about the same mileage @WOT. I keep hearing about people blowing heads on an opti, i personally have not met one yet. Every merc tech i have talked says that has been resolved as 2001 models. If your thinking about an opti, call a merc tech and ask there opinion about opti's see what they say.

The NEW Opti's are awesome,..I'm talking about the 2003's and some of the 2002's that were mid-cycle enhanced! (updated during production) Current warranty claims on '03's are down 85%...my '03 runs like a scalded dog and it comes with the 5yr warranty!! Best warranty in the industry,...bar none. Merc has a LOT of confidence in ther products in order to back them with that kind of warranty!!

IMHO!!

Mac

STAY and i mean STAY with your EFI i know of at least 3 Merc Opti's that have blown up that were less that 2 years old (power head issues)...Mercury definatly has a problem...So if you wanna stay on the water go with an EFI...sure they are gas hogs but i would rather put extra gas money into the tank when the motor is going to run than buying an 8 grand+ powerhead that is not running...

Just my .02

T.S.

Warranty doesn't make your boat fishable.

I'm neither anti-merc nor anti-opti. I'm just pointing out that warranty doesn't mean a good product. Ask Ficht owners :(.

Hate to break ya'lls hearts, but I've seen just as many EFI's blow as Opti's.

I retract that statement. I have yet to personally witness an Opti blow. With the exception of rumor, innuendo and internet BS I've never met a dissatisfied Opti owner. Have seen several EFI's pop (Mercury and otherwise) blow up at blast-off.

BTW...from an economic standpoint, warranty should be a HUGE deciding factor. A company must really stand behind a product to offer lengthy warranties on marine-use items (high labor rates x hi-tech, hi-cost parts constantly submerged in water, exposed to the most extreme environs and typically operated at maximum recommended operating specs).

Does the warranty cover labor?

Adam, if you'd like to see my remanufactured powerhead, please let me know. I'm in Richardson :).

BUT, Merc covered it, OUT OF WARRANTY and I only paid labor. $700, but you can bet I've told everyone that's heard about the problem, that Merc stood behind it.

Adam, what's a TPU?

I have to say I do have a few friends that have had blown pwr heads with their OPti's... BUT< they all still have new ones!!!! man ... what a tough choice! I have a EFI now and have had o trouble w/ it! Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!!

Kraig

I'll stay with my carb'd Merc thank you!! Either the EFI or the Opti in a 225 would just SINK my boat!!! LOL

Too bad the Yamaha HPDI VMAX is not an option on Nitro's!

This past weekend I talked to the owner of Capital District Marine, the largest Merc dealer in the state, he had a HPDI on! End of story. I asked if the optis had all the issues and bugs worked out and he said, "No. Not saying that all the repairs are major, but I'm still getting tons of warranty work on them. Bottom line is that Yamahas are quieter and more fuel effecient." Not my words folks, came right from the mouth of NY's largest merc dealer. When he has a Yamaha, what else can you say, and when I asked about my efi he said, "Oh that motor will last forever. Bulletproof. They love gas and are noisier, but are extremely reliable." I'm glad I got the efi. Just my .02

Two EFI's blew this past weekend on Clair. One Opti, one rude and almost a yammie (lower unit locked up).

They all break. Simple. If you break it in properly, let it warm up, get a good dealer, and a great warranty you will be fine. These motors are not bulletproof, some are better than others.

I have logged close to 700 hours on Opti's in the past 5 years and I have only blown one (thankfully it wasnt mine).

Factory warranty covers labor.

If you are that worried, get the EFI. If you can get the 5year warranty and plan on having the boat for that long get the Opti.

No matter the fuel delivery system, you can only get so much horsepower out of a gallon of gas, and all the systems are about equal at WOT. FYI alot of bass fisherman around here dont run WOT all the time. You cant, the water is too rough.

Mini

Latest posts

Back