NX882 Tach Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Warfield

Reaction score
Hello all!

I got my 1999 NX882 with an XR6 out today, after sitting for the past 3 years, and replaced the impeller and lower unit fluid. After doing the repairs I started the engine on the water muffs. The engine started right up and sounded perfectly normal. However, when I looked at the tach it was showing right at 4000 RPM, but the engine was actually at idle speed. So it was NOT actually turning 4000 RPM! When I turned the key off the tach would still show about 1000 RPM. When I turned the key to the "on" position the tach would level out to "0". As soon as the engine started though at idle, the tach went back to showing around 4000 RPM. I started the engine several times and each time this exact same thing happened?

So my question is, has anyone heard of or seen anything like this before? The last time I had the boat on the water (3 years ago), all was normal with the tach.

The boat has been stored in my garage with the cover on and 3 bank battery charger connected over the period.

Thank you for any input you all might have!

Jeff

I have has a similar issue with my 2000 NX 882........ tach showing higher RPM's than are actually occuring and by tapping the tach with my knuckle, it returns to normal.......

Its happens to mine as well every once and awhile. I put it neutral and give it a couple of revs and it goes back to normal.

Max

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to have this problem! I was just trying to figure if it was a flakey tach or what ever it is on the engine that the tach gets it's signal from. Either way, I'm not overly concerned at this point as I know by the sound it is not over speeding... But I would still like to get it fixed at some point.

Thanks for your guys input!

Jeff

Check the voltage on the starting battery before starting and then while the engine is running. If it's a bad rectifier the battery will be over or under charging also.

BF

Back