Nitro Z9 Construction

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I understand that Nitro uses wood in many places on their boats, such as stringers and the deck. I plan on buying a boat and keeping it for 15+ years. I'm concerned that over time, I will need to replace the deck due to wood rot. Has anyone had any issues with wood rot or weakening of the deck / or other areas due to the wood? The desk is going to get wet, either from the weather or from cleaning of the carpet. Any experiences or advice you can provide is appreciated.

There has not been wood in the NITRO line for many years. Decks in the tin rigs are but there is not any in the glass rigs.

TOXIC

I have a 96 170TF (totally different than the Z9, but it is a 15 yr old Nitro) and have no problems with anything on it rotting. And I'm fairly certain that Nitro/Tracker has improved on the manufacturing process of the boats in those 15 years. And the deck should be your least worry...sure the deck and carpet gets wet, but you can leave it sitting in the sun for a few hours and it will be dry again. Not saying that it will, but water can get into the transom (and you probably won't realize until it's too late) and can rot the transom out. Again, I'm not saying that it's certain to happen, but it is possible (and a heck of a lot more costly to repair the transom than it is the decks).

the stringers are encapsulated closed cell foam, not wood.

there is some marine grade plywood used in the consstrution process, like partitioning off sections where compartments will go and livewells and such before adding the closed cell foam for floatation. but none of this wood is structual as far as i know.

Latest posts

Back