Nitro Z7 Speedometer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane_L_TX

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Nitro Z7 with a 175 Mercury Pro XS that I loaned to my cousin for a few weeks. When he brought the boat back, a little abused I might add, the speedometer did not work. I know a speedometer is not a big issue but I am one of those guys " if it's on there I want it to work no matter what it is". Can someone advise me on a little trouble shooting here, please? Does the Mercury have a sensor hole for the speedo?

I have a 2015 Nitro Z7 with a 175 Mercury Pro XS that I loaned to my cousin for a few weeks. When he brought the boat back, a little abused I might add, the speedometer did not work. I know a speedometer is not a big issue but I am one of those guys " if it's on there I want it to work no matter what it is". Can someone advise me on a little trouble shooting here, please? Does the Mercury have a sensor hole for the speedo?
The speedometer work off of water pressure, on the motors lower unit you will notice a small hose, this hose runs to the speedometer. If you feel along the front side of the lower unit you will find a small hole, chances are this hole plugged. I use a small diameter drill bit and a piano string to clear the blockage.
You can try to take the hose loose at the lower unit and use compressed air to put back pressure to clear it out.

I think Duane has given a pretty good answer and solution. You are a Z7 owner and I'd like your opinion on the boat please. I'm thinking seriously of buying a new one (sport model) but am curious about the ride and handling. I have an 07 Nitro 482 and it has a bad list to the right and is hard to turn to the left when up on plane. Do you have similar issues with your Z7? Any concerns at all with your boat? Thanks. Charlie

Also Charlie, when on plane, if you will trim the motor up about midway you will get a much smoother ride and easier steering. The trim is magical when adjusted correctly.

Thank Lane. With my 482 I'm constantly tweeting the trim, especially when trying to get on plane. Each rig is different and if I do get a Z I'll need to experiment with it to get the best ride.

Hose might be off on the front of the engine. My 150 optimax had the pitot tube hose too short and when I cranked the engine hard left it pulled off. Not my business but my two cents. I never have and I won't ever loan my boat to anyone including my brother and neighbor who I trust with anything BUT my boat.

Latest posts

Back