Nitro z-8

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Smith2

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on the site has the standard z-8 with the 200pro xs,I see alot of 225's and 250's but not many 200's.

i'm looking to purchase a new boat sometime soon and was wondering how it performed, Bass Pro Shops claims it will top out at over 65mph with a 200 ,But I would rather hear it from someone who owns one and not the people who are trying to sell me one.

any input would be appreciated

I've found that Tracker's claim for performance is pretty close for an empty boat fresh from the factory with a gallon are two of gas in the tank. My Nitro was said to due 46mph with the 90hp. It did 48 from the factory and 45 after gear,gas and all loaded. My Tundra was said to go 54mph with the 150opti. It went exactly that until I loaded it with gear and gas.

fatrap

I don't know exactly how they get their speed estimates. When we were test running my boat at BPS the service tech that was running my boat was going by the speedometer, and said we were going 60 MPH as soon as we planed off, which as we all know is incorrect. But the speed estimate for my Z8 with 225 pro xs was 72-74. So far I've seen 71 by GPS @ 5800 RPM's and the speedo was pegged at 80 MPH. But I haven't run it at full RPM yet. I had made an earlier post about it. That was with a 1/2 tank of gas, just me (200 lbs), and fishing gear. When I say fishing gear I mean a dozen rods, plano boxes full of lures (enough to fill the port dry box and 4 in the front deck big box), life jackets, and other smaller gear. I didn't have any anchors, tool kit, or other heavy items in the boat.

My suggestion if your looking for speed, go with the 250. I've seen proof of guys with the 250 getting 80-81 out of it. Honestly 70 is fast enough for me.

I'm not necessarily looking for speed, If the 200 can push that boat at 65 mph I would be good with that, what I wouldnt be good with is a 20ft. bass boat that costs $35000 and cant get out of its own way.

At that length and weight I just wonder if it is underpowered

IMHO the 8 Series needs a 225 at least. That is a big heavy hull very similar to the 929 that I owned. I had a 225efi and was happy with it. No speed demon but it did 67+ loaded all day long with a 4 blade prop.

Thanks Toxic, I think your right a 225 is probably the way to go ,The only reason I was asking is because there is a 2012 leftover z8 with a 200 pro xs already on it, at a dealer near me and they are asking $34,000.00 which I thought was a pretty good price,It does have some options (dual console,fiberglass trailer fenders,hot foot,trim on the wheel) that are included in that price. I'm thinking that I should go look at it ,I dont think it will be there long at that price.

That is a really good price on the boat. But as you and Toxic are saying I would go with at least a 225. The boat weighs 1900 lbs. You will be very satisfied with it, I know that I am.

Dan

Look around for a pro staff boat. You might find one with a 225 and loaded with options for less. I was able to pick up a 1 yr old boat from a local pro staffer that i know fairly well.

Fully loaded with a 225 opti for 32k. Boat had a sticker price at close to 47k if purchased new.

I think the 200hp is under powered for the hull

Purchased mine last year. New 2011 close out. Fully loaded, dual console, alum. wheels, hotfoot, tilt trim, cover, fortrex 80, etc. 200 pro xs. 25p fury. 3 sec. hole shot, top at 66 mph, 1/2 tank fuel, 2 people, gear. Plenty motor for this boat. Couldn't see another 3 grand for a 225 and maybe 3 or 4 mph top end. Love it!

I have had two Z-8's with the 200 xs on them. My first boat would run 66-67 gps with two people 3/4 tank on fuel and all my gear, 68-69 gps with only me. My second one runs 67-68 with two people ,gas and gear. I havent got to run the second one with just me in it yet. They run plenty fine with a 200 Imo. Im runnig 25p temptest plus props on the boats

So, it seems the mercs are doing pretty good on that hull. The deciding factor for me would be resale. I'll guarantee a 225 will sway a lot of buyers. Now if you plan on keeping it for a long time then maybe not. Personally, my rule of thumb is to max out 2 things...1. Big Motor and 2. Trolling Motor. Both of which I have never heard anyone say they wished they had gotten smaller.;)

I still can't see 3 to 4 grand for a 225 for resale. Maybe upgrading to a 250, but not a 225.

Latest posts

Back