Nitro 896 Winch Stand Arm

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some help. While trailering my boat recently, I had a major failure in the winch arm that holds up the front of the boat on the trailer and the winch. See the attached pictures below.

While pulling the boat up (not hard or too much on the throttle), the arm just snapped. Complete failure of the metal. Snapped nowhere near a joint. I was four hours away from home and nowhere near anything at all. Luckily a man that has a small shop that changes oil on the weekend only a mile from the launch allowed me to pay him to use his personal welding machine. I put a quick fix on the trailer and off I went. I want to replace the entire arm. I am not nervous about the weld holding, but more nervous about the integrity of the rest of the arm. I would like to buy the entire arm that connects to the main beams of the trailer all the way up to the boat. Any idea where I could buy this?

Any suggestions?

Picture one - This is a photo of the break in the arm that I welded

896_2.png

Picture two - This is a picture of the entire arm with the winch

896_3.png

Picture three - This is a photo where the arm connects to the trailer. I am hoping to order an entire new arm and just bolt it right on.

896_1.png

You can see why it failed there with repeated powerloading. I am not saying you have been smacking it hard, but over time the metal will fatigue right next to its nearest support.

I would grind the weld flush, and add a stiffener plate to the outside and weld that to the arm making sure that the stiffener exceeds at least 2" past the support (where the safety strap is connected).

Then just repaint the entire thing. Do that on both sides and you should be good to go.

I replaced mine with a unit from Champion Trailers and it works fine. I can't remember the name but it is adjustibile, as a side note it's on a 896. If you go to their web page you can see what they have.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am not very handy with a welder and with the way the metal looked weakened, I think I am more interested in buying a new piece than keeping the old one, even if strengthened some. It is worth it to me to get a new one because where I fish, I am usually nowhere near a quick fix.

Tornado, if you don't mind, would you take a picture of the one you bought for your boat from Champion? I have found a few and want to see which one you use since you say it works for the 896. Thanks,

Jordan

If you go to Champion Trailers and the item os 2458. It's called a telescoping winch post. Sorry I don't have tha capability to put a photo up for you.

Jim

Back