New Z8 popping noise in steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok have had the boat out 4 times now. The Z8 is popping and clicking in the steering a lot. Jee my new dodge 1999 ram 1500 did this when it was new years ago. This is bringing back some bad memories. Anyone had this happen on the 2011 z series?:(

I have the 2011 Z-7. Did the exact same thing. I thought there was a problem so i took it back to the fishin hole where i bought it. Steve, the service manager walked me thru every boat they had there on the showroom floor and every boat they had there, with hydrolic steering, did the exact same thing as mine. What i learned was that is the breaking point you are hearing when it clicks for the hydrolic steering to kick in, completely normal. Every boat there does it as well as mine. Im comfortable with it now that i know its "the way it should be". I had never had a boat with hydrolic steering and therefore wasnt accustomed to all the differences. I had the same concern you did. It will do it when turning only, or when u turn the wheel just with the boat sitting on the trailer.

I also have a new 2011 z7 with hydraulic steering but no popping or clicking. Smooth as glass. Maybe something is wrong with mine.

I to have a 2011 z8 200 opti. No noise on mine. But than again I have bad hearing. lol

:lol:

Ok thought it was normal after reading Freds post. Was at Basspro today and not one of thier boats had any sound as you turned each boats steering. Fred I would take yours in; the hydrolic steering doesnt kick in and out at any breaking point; its always under pressure and should run smooth. Mine is very loud with clicks, pops and moans. I will take mine in. Thanks guys for chimming in, I didnt think it was normal.

Took mine into the fishin hole where it was purchased, brand new, was told it was normal, thats all i know, if yours is moaning, u may have air in the lines. Just a thought. If so you can turn the steering wheel hard right and hold for a few seconds, then hard left and hold for a few seconds, sometimes this gets the air out. Sorry if you have a worse problem than mine, but, you described the same symptoms mine has, which, the other boats at the fishin hole have, so, i took the word of their service man that this was correct.

First off is it a tilt wheel or std?

I have heard noise from a tilt wheel before. I prefer the standard oif at all possible. It just seems smoother to me.

Mine is a tilt system for the post that I posted earlier. I can't say for sure (never had 1 apart) but all my insight says that the Hudralic system consists of. 1. A dual acting pistion (hooked to motor) 2. two hudraulic hoses acting as both a pressure or return hose. (hooked between the dual acting piston and the pump assy. and the 3rd is the pump system. (located under the console steering wheel is hooked to it) The pump I would think (never had one apart) has an outer housing with an internal gear pump, gear in a ring. there will be a bearing at the top and bottom of the gear. one end stub shart the other side is where the steering wheel is mounted. this is a positive displacement pump always moves the same amount of fluid. it is a flooded system giving you instant control you move the wheel right the dual piston turns the motor right or vice versa. The oil does not compress so that takes out the steering tourqe. There is nothing there that should make noise. Sorry for the long wind.

The tilt linkage can make noise....

Latest posts

Back