New Z 7 with 150 Optimax Pro XS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Craft

Reaction score
April 20,2011 took delivery of my new Z 7 with a 150 optimax Pro XS. Read owners manual about break in procedure and ready to go. The first time in the water, opened up throttle about 3000rpm the alarm went off and engine went to idle. Tried again several times same problem. Checked owners manual and read possible problems. Good stream of water and oil levels on engine and remote tanks full.Only thing I could figure was a run hot condition. Took boat back to dealer 2hrs away. Called me a week later boat is ready. He changed water pump and cleaned permatex from thermostat. Took to lake same problem. Found a dealer 50 miles from me. To make a long story short he found one of the water passages on the engine block had not formed properly and had a thin sheet of metal over the hole. He took a center punch and hammer and tapped metal and it was so thin it broke in several pieces and there was the water jacket. He reassemble the engine called me it was ready. Picked up boat took to lake runs great. One month later I'm going fishing again.

Bad casting - Maybe the new opti's are made in china. Good to see it was figured out.

The "guy" that found the problem was by chance "Don" from European Marine was it? Extremely knowledgable, and perhaps the only guy I could think of that would have found that....regardless, if ANY of you have an issue and you are within reasonable driving distance to him, by all means GO THERE! ;)

Don from European Marine is quite knowledgable and like you Bob, he gives info pretty freely.

You guys are invaluable to the DIY crowd!

but trust me, when either one of these guys tells you to have it looked at by a certified mechanic do it. Dont try to cut corners all the time.

Either one of these guys wont steer you wrong.

Thanks again Bob.

Agree 100% with Mini.....haven't had the pleasure of dealing with you yet Bob, but if you are anything as valuable as Don, you have my thanks. We appreciate your volunteering.

Yes Don is a great guy. He does what he says and does it when he said he would. I will always recommend him and take my boat to him. some of you folks must live close to him.

Thanks guys.....worked with Don over a "BBC" for the last three years or so, and I, have learned from him as well. Truth be known, I learn a little everyday from "everyone", and it's all good!!! VERY glad to be of assistance.....:cool:

A blocked water jacket is a pretty major deal, how does this get through quality control? I always assumed they run the engines before they get shipped out to the customer?

JP

Actually, pretty easy. The motors are field tested and inspected prior to shipment.....but...this particular problem would not make itself known until the motor reached temp, needed water pressure and rpm. Checking systems parameters with a quick run in ain't gonna suffice here.....;)

Latest posts

Back