New wheels and tires/Humminbird 997si on the z-6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverenuff

Reaction score
I got some new wheels and tires on my z-6. My factory tires developed big lumps on the tread, only 4 months old. So I decided to get new wheels and tires. The stockers looked pewney and weak! I also installed a humminbird 997c si. I had a hard time getting it mounted up. After buying a few different mounts I opted for the ram mount arm style. Due to the small inclined mounting area on the z-6 I had to build my on bracket to make it fit as well as sit level.

securedownload13-1.jpg
securedownload12-2.jpg

Change the upper case "IMG" to lower case - correct photos below

securedownload13-1.jpg

securedownload12-2.jpg

Looks Nice! Did you get the factory hub caps to fit the new rims?

Thanks for fixing the photos and the compliments. I took the lug nut and caps off the factory wheels and they snapped right on these.

Sharp boat. My only concern would be the small base on the bird unit. Where it attaches to the boat looks ripe for breaking or tearing off in rough water. Might just be me though, I have a tendency to over-engineer my stuff......and I've seen what rought water can do to anything "mounted" to a boat.

TOXIC

The mount is 1/4" wall roll bar tubing fastened down with a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt. The only way its going somewhere is if you where to hit a tree with it and and bust the boat.. lol

I'm with Toxic. I would get a bigger mount. And he IS rough on his stuff! You will be surprised how easy that will rip out of the fiberglass.

Hey Tox look out for that crib. Look out! Right there, back up!

CRUUUUNCH......never mind, you found it!;)

HA!!:lol: In my best Pee Wee Herman voice "I meant to do that":lol: Somebody had to find the crib and as Mini always says, Skeg's are not meant to have paint on them!! And remember the frickin wind was blowing like what....25-30 that day? Champlain is a beotch royal when the wind kicks up. If I remember correctly, I had to tie off to a buoy in order to hold on that spot!! That is another one of the reasons my next boat will have the long shaft TM. Jamie, it's not the size or strength of the bolt, it's the fact that there is only 1 centralized mounting point with a pretty big/heavy finder offset at the top. Now if you don't run the rough stuff then fine, but I would not want to lose that unit. I live by the motto..."Plan for the worst and hope for the best";) Oh, and on that same trip Rob is talking about, the swells were so bad at the City Ledge, I had my TM hit bottom in 12 feet of water when the bottom dropped out while I was fishing. Busted TM prop and lockdown pin!!

TOXIC

Sounds fun tox. I have had my boat out twice since putting that unit on. It is solid , I been workin on Junk for years. It's not going anywhere. It's bolted thru 3/4 inches of fiberglass. The whole is exact size of the bolt, the underside has a 2 1/2" washer that has a exact 3/8 hole for the bolt to go thru. The base is 2 1/2 in diameter and sits perfectly flat against the boat surface. It has absolutely no movement, no flex. It's solid. If I get into situation that rips it off it will be bad enough that will be the least of my worries. Lol. I have been In some rough water, no means anything like what u speak of, and I have no plans to be . But I do appreciate your insight. :D:D:D:D

that looks like a ram swing arm mount, those mounts are as tough as they come. Personally i woult have no worries with that mount. I ran a 1.5" ball mount for years on my 882 in water plenty rough, stuffed plenty of waves with it too and i never had an issue with the ram mount. The plastic Lowrance gimble bracket, sure i broke plenty of those bue the ram no. Thost swing arm mounts are even tougher than the ball mounts are. If i was going to upgrade to a 900 series unit i would do either the swing arm or a 2.5" ball ram mount.

Latest posts

Back