Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member.

I purchased my Nitro 175 Sport (fish/ski) 75 hp Tracker, new 03/01. I can't say enough (good) about this boat. It's a pleasure to own and operate. I most often go out alone and love the ease of towing, launching and loading. It's inexpensive (moderately) to operate and has all the needed features.

That said, I do have a question. I just changed out the remote control throttle at the console. The job was easy enough for a do it yourselfer and certainly saved me from an expensive labor cost as well as, not tieing my boat up for weeks at the shop. Now I'd like to grease the throttle cables as well. The question is:

What is the best way to do so? Just extend and retract throttle cables and grease exposed cable at engine connection? Use a white lithium grease?

Welcome Firedog,

As for the cables, I use Mercury/Quicksilver 2-4-c on my cables. A word of caution, I applied the grease on my steering cables (old set) a few years back, and I really got them good, BUT when the temps started to drop, the cold grease worked against me and made the steering tight. But never any problems with the throttle or shifter cables.

Eric

Thanks Eric.

I was thinking I'd stay with a Quicksilver product. Is that all you can do to grease the throttle cables, just get the exposed amount at the end? The throttle feels a bit tighter than it should be. Not quite as smooth as I recall it was.

I have a hot foot, so I don't lube the drivers end, just the motor end. The friction in the remote throttle might be a factor of it being new, but lube the engine side and see what it does, it can't hurt. You might want to try advancing the throttle without putting it in gear, see if the tension changes, just to make sure theres no pending shift issues.

Eric

Welcome to the site. Lots of great info on this site if needed. Have a great fishing season.

Max <><

Somehow I missed the post:wacko:

Welcome...you a fireman?

If the cables are tight the easiest solution is to change them out. I'm believe they are pretty cheap. If you want to free them up, you need to rig up a system to pressure inject them with a combo of never seize, brake fluid, and PB blaster/WD-40. Same thing you would do for tight steering cables.

Welcome aboard. You'll find that most of the time, this is absolutely the #1 Boating and Fishing board around. Cept' when we slap each other around a bit - but that hardly ever happens.

You have, and will continue to get great feedback and information here. Please note, no matter what the question, the folks here will try and answer objectively (that is, except the guys from Michigan - we don't pay them any attention, anyway!). :rolleyes:

Tex

Just don't bring up trucks... I made that mistake a few months ago LOL... CHEVY ROCKS!!!

Welcome aboard Firedog.. This is a great site.

CHEVY ROCKS!!!
mebassn, will you stop telling us about your infatuation with Chevy Chase? It's embarrassing for goodness sake.:rolleyes::eek:;)

Oh, BTW, I lubricate my cable exactly how you mentioned doing yours in the last line of your post.

Uncle Billy

Thank you all for the welcome. I accidentally found the site as I googled info on the replacement of the remote control throttle. Being a member of several other forums, I couldn't help joining this one. I knew that whatever questions I have could be answered on an enthusiasts' site.

To answer TEE's question, I am a retired career firefighter. Just over 30 years with Cincinnati fire department. Being an outdoor sportsman and an avid fisherman I've taken a part-time job that's too much fun! I work 2 - 3 days a week as a BPS sales associate in the fishing department. I love it! Especially in winter when cabin fever sets in fast.

I think I'm going to enjoy reading and participating here very much. Hopefully, I'll fit in as it seems (so far) a great site.

Thanks again all.

p.s. I do love my Chevy truck

You'll fit right in here firedog;)

I'm just north of you here in Fairborn and WPAFB. Next time I'm at BPS..I'll try to stop by if your in that day.

FISH ON!:cool:

Welcome to the club FireDog, This is the greatest website. These guys have alot of experience and knowledge to share and are a great bunch.

Welcome Firedog. Ex-Firefighter/Paramedic myself (FT.Lauderdale only 12 yrs) living in Cinci now. I work with Heather on outside events for your store so I am sure we will meet in person soon.

The Dragon

The Dragon,

I look forward to meeting you. We may have done so already.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcomes.

Latest posts

Back