"new" 912 - Should I buy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewey Leggett

Reaction score
I currently have a '96 896 w/a 200 EFI (that I love), but I am am looking at moving up to a '97 912 w/a 225 EFI. I know it doesn't sound like moving up that much, but the boat is showroom new and has 5 hours on it! It was involved in litigation for the last 5 years, thus the minimum use. I would be buying it from a dealer friend of mine who got it out of the lititgation. I could use some advice from 912 owners and anyone else on whether I should look seriously at this boat or not. Thanks!

If it's at americanyachtsales.com, it should be a repo (then again, maybe that's the "litigation".

The 912 Savage is nothing like the 911 from what I'm told. The 912 did have some wood in it, and I think the whole deck was wood. Depending on where it's been stored, that would be an issue. The 9-series (901, 911, 929) are all-fiberglass. The savage series isn't.

BUT, the savage series was a MUCH lower priced boat, so don't look at a new 901 or 911 and use that for comparison. ALSO, check nadaguides.com for a value. A used boat that hasn't been used is not a good thing. 2 strokes are made to be run. Depending on how the gas was stored, you could have some injector problems. Whatever you do, pump out the gas tank, drain the "bowl" in the engine, and get as much crap out as you can. Also, take out the fuel filter (the canister type) and drain it (or better yet, replace it). Now, please understand I'm going over what I did with my DFI engine, so the EFI may be a little different.

No, it's not listed with anyone yet. I have a chance to get it from the dealer before it gets listed. He is going through it from top to bottom, redoing the gel coat, putting in new carpet, giving it a good tune up, new steering, hoses throughout, etc. He says it will be like buying a new boat. But I am getting good feedback, because I thought the 912 was a "9" series, but apparently not. Any other help would be appreciated.

Dewey,

I have a 97 savage 912 - I love the boat, I have a merc. 200EFI on it. I feel the Merc 200 EFI is a little under powered for the boat. It is a great big water boat. Not to say Mike is wrong, but I think the decks are all glass. The only thing I don't like is the open spot on the right hand side in front of the driver.

My 912 will run about 64 mph - fully loaded. I am using a trophy 25p

The gel coat is holding up great, I have one small crack by the depth finder (it

What is a 912? I'm not familiar at all with that model. When did they make them? What replaced them? Does anyone have a photo?

Thanks,

Marke

Marke, go to americanyachtsales.com and you'll see one listed there with a photo.

Dewey -

A few years back, Bass & Walley Boats Magazine did a test of the 912/225 and evaluated a number of different props while they were at it. The test was done with the help of the people at Marine USA in Worcester, Massechussetts (sp?). You may want to contact Bob Bourget (e-mail in the member list) and see what he has to say about the boat.

me!

The 912 was dropped in 1999. It was the first 9 series boat made by Tracker and was essentially a bigger faster 896. It was replaced by the new 9 series boats....911, 901, 929.

Mini

Dewey, if it only has 5 hours on it, why is he replacing the steering and carpet etc. Not to say you're not getting a deal, but a boat with 1 day use on it should be pristine. It shouldn't need any new parts unless it was stored outside uncovered for 5 years. But a tune up and new steering? I would just inquire why. Just my .02. But I saw pics and they look sweet. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back