Need Rod 101 Class

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I need some guidance on what rods I need. I have pretty nice reels at this point so I need to start on my rod collection. My problem....I don't know what rod to use when.

Most of my rods cost less then $50, IM7 or IM8 graphite, 6'6" medium (don't know if that means power or action). That's all they say. What would I pair these with or use these rods for?

Now the rest of the more specific inventory:

BPS Cranking Stick, 6', medium action - I assume small crankbaits. What line? The pistol grip tends to hurt my wrist after lots of casts (carple, need surgery) so I don't throw this often.

St Croix Premier baitcaster type, 6'6", Medium Power, Fast Action. What should I use this for and what line?

St Croix Premier spinning type, 6'6", Medium Power, Fast Action. What use and what line?

Shimano Compre spinning type, 6'6", Medium Heavy, Fast Action. This is the rod I bought awhile back for worm fishing at night after you guys advised me. I have 12 lb line on a Quantum spinning reel. Had 17 lb on it but didn't like it.

So those are my rods. I need a class on what I need to buy to put with my reels. My most used arsenal:

1) 6" Berley Power Worm

2) Bandit 200 Rootbeer Crank

3) .5 oz Rattle Trap chrome/blue

4) Single blade BooYa buzzbait

5) Rapala shad rap #5

The above is what I fish with 80% of the time. So match me up with the line and rods. I would rather not spend $300 on each rod. Maybe $100 each, hopefully less.

I really appreciate any guidance. I have a few gift cards at BPS that a burning a hole on my pocket.

Good luck Teri... I am no help... My bass fishing knowledge is limited... So, I'll let others give you some guidance...

However, if you ever want to start fishing for fish with teeth... Wellllllllll... Your walleye arsenal of rods will be around 40-50!!!:eek:

BPS Cranking Stick, 6', medium action - Sell this rod if it is uncomfortable. I own one of these and I love it, but it doesnt hurt me to throw it. Buy another 6'6" or 7' medium action Crankin Stick. Use the rattle trap, bandit and shad raps with this.

St Croix Premier baitcaster type, 6'6", Medium Power, Fast Action. This is your worm rod. A medium heavy would be ideal, but this will also serve double duty as a jerkbait rod. You can throw topwater (buzzbait)too.

St Croix Premier spinning type, 6'6", Medium Power, Fast Action. 6-10lb line. - use this for small jigs, shakey heads, tubes, grubs, etc. can also be used for a nice small or light weight worm rod. in a pinch you can use this for a cranbait rod, especially when the wind is blowing hard. i throw jerkbaits in the wind with this too. AND pop-r's

Shimano Compre spinning type, 6'6", Medium Heavy, Fast Action. This is the rod I bought awhile back for worm fishing at night after you guys advised me. I have 12 lb line on a Quantum spinning reel. Had 17 lb on it but didn't like it. - 17 on a spinning reel is a little much....GOOD rod for heavier lures than the medium action spinning combo

So those are my rods. I need a class on what I need to buy to put with my reels. My most used arsenal:

1) 6" Berley Power Worm

2) Bandit 200 Rootbeer Crank

3) .5 oz Rattle Trap chrome/blue

4) Single blade BooYa buzzbait

5) Rapala shad rap #5

I know a thing or two about fishing rods....someday you will be able to see the inside of my rod locker....you may have to brace yourself! lol

BPS Cranking Stick, 6', medium action - Small to medium crankbaits is about right (Like a Bandit 200 / Bomber 6A / etc

Ya need a dedicated Senko rod in your line-up. I use a spinning rod/reel with 20lb Power Pro braid (gotta set the drag a little loose or you'll be buying another reel :rolleyes: ). A lot of guys use baitscaters for Senkos, but I like a spinning set up so I don't have to fight the wind and can cast a mile.

Bob G.

I agree with all the above and especially with Bob G. on the Senko rod. But........I thow my senko's on a different setup. Bob is waaaay to powered up for me. I use a 7 ft medium action, extra fast tip, spinning rod, BPS Pro Qualifier or JLM reel with the wide spool technology and 8 to 10lb mono.

TOXIC

I use about the exact same thing as Tox as far as Senko fishing goes. I will even go farther down to 6 lb. test at times for that. As for a rod, I use a 6 1/2' Billy Westmorland Signature Rod that's medium heavy with a fast tip and topped off with a Daiwa Regal spinning reel.

Having said all of that, Mini, Glenn and Tox have far more experience using the myriad of rods and reels that they do. When I was fishing quite a lot, I wanted my gear to match with the exception of maybe line weight. I carried 4 of those Billy Westmorland rods with the same reels and to me, they were good for just about everything I threw and I didn't have to worry about grabbing what I really didn't want and I also didn't want to carry 8 to 10 rods. I also carried ONE baitcaster that I rarely used. It was one of the old red Abu Garcia reels with a slow retrieve and little white handles and was only made, at the time, in RH retrieve. The rod was a pistol grip something, I think AllStar,

and I had heavier line on that in the rare case that I needed it.

Now I have a few Loomis' and a couple of Kistler's but I invariably still grab for my Billy Westmorland's and most of the time they are the only 4 rigs I take with me except maybe one baitcaster. Those Billy Westmorland rods aren't made anymore but I would bet you could get some great Bass Pro Shop rods for well under a hundred dollars.

What I would do Teri, and remember I'm not the expert here, is go someplace like BPS or whatever you have near you like that, and handle a lot of rods with whatever reels you have chosen on them and get whatever feels good to you! When you find that one, buy it, but not more. Try the new one out actually fishing just to make sure you really like it and if you do buy more. If you don't, take it back (BPS would do it). I have a whole rack of expensive rods and reels and those Westmorlands cost me about $49.00 each and the reels were cheaper than that and I've never had one of them, rod or reel, fail.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Uncle Billy

The only thing I could add to this is a 7'MH baitcasting rod for worm fishing. I just like that setup better when I'm pitching a worm. I like the MH to bring the hook home, and just seem to miss fewer with that setup. All of your equipment sounds good (better than mine). Pretty soon you need to get out your topwater/dog walkers and Pop-R plugs ready, around the end of May/first week of June is da bomb on the Hick from daylight until around 7. If you don't have any of these you need to pick a few of these up with that BPS card. Secondary points in the major creeks/rip-rap, the post spawn bass will be chasing shad for an early breakfast. That 6-6 Premier Spinning with 12lb test or so would be fine for this. Don't set the hook on the blowup, wait until you feel it (or you can't stand it any more).

Can I tell you how AWESOME you guys are along with technology!!!!

So, I post this message and had to leave the house. I eventually ended up at Bass Pro without coming home. I decided to pull out the PDA I had to get for work to see if any of my favorite guys came thru with some advice......of course I wasn't disappointed as Mini and Tritonglenn took the time to help a girl out.

I bought 2 new rods today. One St Croix Premier 6'6" MH, Fast action baitcasting rod(forgot when I posted that a friend of mine broke the tip off so I replaced this rod as I liked it alot). I also bought a Browning Midas 6'6" MH Fast action baitcasting rod on clearance. I never hear you guys post about Browning but I have 2 of their baitcasting reels and I really like them, probably as much as my old Curado...but not my new Curado. ;)

I also bought a 100MPH parka on clearance. No pants but I have some that will work.

Great day at Bass Pro! Thanks again so much for your advice and taking time to help a chic out.

Berry, I do use Pop R's and Spooks in the summer. I just love to throw the buzz! Miss alot because the "attack" usually scares the crap out of me. Ha! :lol:

Teri,

I would save this for future reference because the "actions" of rods rarely/never changes and will remain constant through all makers rods. Since there is no universal standard, every maker has their own. The same action in a different makers rod may be somewhat different, for example: A MH in a BPS rod is nowhere like a MH in a CastAway rod. CastAway is always a much heavier action. Sometimes it just boils down to how much $$ you want to spend and more importantly, which rod "feels" best to you (VERY IMPORTANT) like the "power hump" on the BPS rods, some like it some don't. I have some of the new JLM Elite spining rods with the open blank on the handle, and because of the way the reel seats are positioned, coupled with the JLM spinning reel, it is VERY uncomfortable in my hand, which bums me out. I know if I have that combo on my boat, I will shy away from it because of the feel. The only rods not covered that I think you will eventually want are: a Flippin' Stick for heavy braid and fishing grass, punching mats and overall heavy cover, a dedicated dropshot rod and a Carolina rig rod. Remember, if you don't mind re-tying you can use your rods for double and triple duty but "some" applications are pretty unique.

TOXIC

ps...if you just luuuuv to throw buzzers you gotta look at the Yamamoto Buzzbaits and make sure you get one in black.

Tox,

Did they buy T.O. Lures buzz bait? I know Gary was in negotiation with Takahiro for it. T.O. made the best buzzbait I had ever used. I still have a couple he gave me.

Mini

OK Tox and Mini... you have my full attention. :p

I love to throw buzzbaits, and my arsenal normally consists of Lunker Lure, Cavitron, Boogerman Racket Buzz, or home-made models.... but if Yamamoto has something out there that works... I'm game.

Where is the best place to buy? Or should I go to Yamamoto's website and buy direct?

All the best,

Glenn

The ones I have are hand made by Takahiro Omori. He used to have a business (TO Lures) but I think he sold it. Not sure to whom, but I know he and Gary were tlaking about Yammamoto taking it over. This was before TO won the Classic.

I dunno who makes them but they are top notch and even the little buggers throw a TON of water off them. My fav. is the thin wire black. Glenn, by what you listed it looks to me like you use the trash can lid type of buzzers. That's not a cut but just my way of describing the big, loud, clacker type. The Yamamoto ones are more of a finesse type of buzzer but have a very, very, good action. I like the light wire and have had big bass bend those suckers straight and still get them bent back into shape and work well. I'll get Mini some when I am up North this week and I'm sure he'll be able to tell me who makes them.

TOXIC

if there is no clacker, then it isnt from TO.

TO's are small compact and painted all black (sans wire). They have a clacker....

Teri- You have recieved some very well advice. I can't add much to it, but you might want to look at the BPS Pro Qualifier. It is a very good rod for the money. I almost always buy mine when they have their sprung sale as they are mrked down to $79.99 from the usual $129.99. These are some very good rods for the money. I have them from 6'6" to 7'6" in various actions and I use them a lot. I broke one in a tournament once and took it back to the store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. I liked the manager so much I eneded up buying another one!! He even went and got a flier out and said "looks like the combos are on sale in this flier for the same price as the rods in store" so he threw the PQ reel in for the same price!! Just my .02 worth.

Tim

If you truly have carpal tunnel, then fishing with any rod will make the problem worse. Think that through carefully. There is a tendancy to use more wrist action with pistol grip.

Don't pitch the pistol grip; put a bait on that rod that you use infrequently--like a spinnerbait. Would be a good combination in close quarters.

I think you purchased some decent rods and you will ultimately find that they are multi-bait/application rods; minimal fishing difference between M and MH. Personally, I've found that MH is the better all around rod as it fishes up [acts like an H] and fishes down [acts like an M].

Marty, you are correct. Every rod and casting action hurts. However, I found that rod to be especially painful. I don't know if it's the short handle or the wider handle but the grip must be different enough to irritate my wrist more. I looked at a longer cranking rod and the pro qualifier rods yesterday but they had the same wider handle so I shyed away from them. I am still sticking with the cortizone shot for now but will probably get it fixed after fall fishing. Should have done it last year but didn't believe I needed it. Wrong!

Teri,....You might want to try rods with longer handles,.....maybe you can make 2-handed casts and then stick the longer rod handles up under your armpit for retrieving....maybe that'll take some of the stress off of your wrist.;)

There's no crying in fishing!!!!!!!!!!!

No pain, no gain. I aint missing a fish because I am not holding the rod right. I miss enough as it is. :D

Teri,

Here is something that I found out. I look for rod handles that are smaller..I do not have big meat hooks to hold onto the rod, and the ones with the really odd shaped rod handle amke my wrists and elbows hurt....

Now, I get a BPS rod and shave off the majority of the "flare" thing that is on the handle. i can now use all day with no pain..the best rods that fit my hand were the older Spro rods...good rods for the hand, but the quality sucked..I had 7 of them and I am down to 3...busted!

If you need pics of them, let me know.

Teri,

I could always build you a few also - to your specs - length and size (diameter and shape) of handle and all. Just let me know. I can also rip apart and rebuild your current rods to fit you better. I'll have plenty of time on my hands in a few months and I would like to build some more customs.... so just give me a shout.

All the best,

Glenn

Teri, do you have carple tunnel problems in both hands? Can you cast with your weak hand?

My "dumb" hand isn't very good at casting bigger rods, but I find that I can throw light or ultralight spinning pretty well with my off hand, particularly with a sidearm motion.

Speaking of sidearm, do you ever sidearm cast with your strong hand? Some days, I find it's more comfortable.

I remembered this post and found it. This will REALLY help me with setups. Thank you so much for answering all my questions. You guys rock! I love this site.

The very first thing Takahiro Omori does with a rod is shave the diameter of the handle down to fit his tiny Japanese hands! Sand paper is all he uses.

Teri, you need to look at the LadySmith Series from American Rodsmiths. Smaller handle diameters for smaller hands. Maybe Carlos too? :)

Dude,....Careful now!!! He can shoot your eye out from a mile away!!.....hand size has no affect on trigger squeeze!!:blink::eek:

LOL @ Mac and the mile away commment.

I will take a look at that series on my next Bass Pro adventure. I think there will be many in the next month.

Not sure if your local Bass Pro carries them Teri.

Latest posts

Back