My 9lb 9oz Bass today!

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK so this 9lb 9oz Channel Cat just THOUGHT he was a bass!! Dan and I caught 4 keeper spots by 7:45am, all 4 from the same secondary point in 4-5ft of water on crankbaits, it was GREAT to have a livewell full of bass and both of us with 2 keepers w/in the first hour!

Then about 40 yards down the bank something attacked my Rapala and took off! Well, long story short this Flathead came home today. I caught 2 more dinks before 11:30am when Beka dropped the boys off on her way to work and Dan and I took them out for the afternoon. Dan got 1 more nice keeper bass after lunch, but the boys and I got skunked after lunch.

Oh ... and Noah said to make sure I posted a pic of the catfish with this story from him - "Hey Daddy what do you think we should name this catfish?? I don't know Noah, what do you think? I think we should call him DINNER!!!!" BBWWWAAAA Noah also said "Daddy, isn't this the heaviest fish you've EVER caught, if so you should MOUNT it!!" Nope, no $400+ catfish mounts for this bass fisherman!!!

Yup, filleted deep fried in beer batter, beka came home late so I had already fed the boys and had a nice dinner for us ready - Fried Catfish, Asparagus and a bottle of Sherry.

Great day with my fishing buddy Dan, and afternoon with the "boys" and dinner with the wife. Time for a beer, a hot tub, and another week at work.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Trep

2006 April 9lb Catfish for web.JPG

Trep - congrats!! Nice fish! The blue cats on the Potomac can put up a fierce fight so you must have had fun with that puppy. Glad to hear the weekend went well - nothing like a fish fry to finish the weekend.

JC

Nice fish! I would be happy to catch that any day! I only caught 2 bass today and neither were anything to brag about.

Sounds like a great day for you Dan and the boys Trep.

Nice fish Trep! Ill bet that was fun to catch and tasty :D

My boat sat in the trailer all weekend.:( Yesterday was kind of a washout and today was nice but i had too many things to do to get on the water today. I did get wash the truck and the dog....

Trep - that's one big fish. Were you fishing for cats or did you think you had a big bass on the line? Congratulations - Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Michael, nice fish!

Do they still taste good when they get that big?

Trep you must have thought you had a world record when that critter made it's first run. I would have had a heart attack.

Kayaker - Was not fishing for cats, we were hitting specific banks/points for bass moving up to feed and spawn. I thought for a few mins I had a HUGE bass and then as he dove deep I had a feeling it was a cat.

Rich - Yup still tasty, thought is been a LONG time since i've skinned and fillet'd a catfish, so i'm sure I didn't do it justice but flaky and mild tasting.

The kids kept "petting" the cat in the livewell all afternoon!! LOL

I probably won't get the boat out for 2-3 more weeks, as i have commitments this weekend, i'm in NY next week, and in India the week after (meaning weekend flights) :(

Here is Eli "lipping" one of our bass from the AM as we let them go, and one with Noah holding the big cat before we cleaned her.

2006%20April%20Eli%20lipping%20bass%20for%20web.JPG

2006%20April%20Noah%20holding%20big%20cat%20fish%20for%20web.JPG

Nice cat Trep!!!!!! :cool:

Sure bet it was tasty :p

Sounds Like you had a prety sweet day !

Steve ><}}}}'>

On July 4, 1980 I caught a 16 pound channel cat on a plastic worm. Was standing on a bolder on the edge of the water. Dipped my worm straight down about 3 feet. Something took it and headed for deep water. Took about 15 minutes to turn him around. Thought I had a big turtle on for the first five minutes! Like you, I'm a bass guy. I'm afraid I butchered those big catfish filets!

gfish

Velcro - you are right, I typed wrong, it was a Flat head!!

gfish - I caught one last Sun a few lbs smaller then this, maybe a 5lb flathead, again on a crankbait. These cat's do NO read the "how to catch fish" books!!! LOL

Back