My 7 yr old son catches a Toad

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
Took my 7 year old out fishing Big Island pond in NH

this was his 3rd real bass fishing trip on the boat. Most of the other fishing trips were with bobbers and worms.

I decided the best way for him to catch some fish was to set him up with a drop shot bait. With a drop shot, he would not have to master the hookset, just reel in the line when he though he had a bite.

The rig was simple a cheap zebco push button reel and a 4' fiberglass walmart special rod with 3 guides. He was using 8# Bass pro green mono, a #1 owner dropshot hook, 1/8 oz sinker and a walmart 4" purple/firetail worm.

Of course I did not bring a camera, what are the chances of catching a Toad? I though we would be luck to catch anything.

Well he caught 6 fish in 2 hours, a pickerl, 10" bass, 1# slab crappie. We then moved to the secret spot, a mid lake hump rising to 8' out of 30 feet of water. He asked if there were any fish out in the middle of the lake, I said just cast over there and see if something bites. He manages to make a good 40' cast w/o a tangle or a knot and waits 30 seconds as told. He say he has a bite and I see him reeling with a lot of effort, getting no where. I said let me see the pole, you probabaly snagged a weed or rock. Well the line starts to sing as the drag kicks in. I still think it's just a 2# bass. I help him by raising the rod as he reels on the way down. After all it is a cheap rod and reel. After 5 minutes I see the fish and grab the rod for a moment and tell him to get the net. It's a monster toad. I Hand him back the rod and help him get the fish to the boat. I net him and he measures out 22.5" 5#- 12oz on the scale. My son want's to bring him home but I convice him to let the toad go. I told him, we can catch her again. I told him that in NH, many never catch a toad that big after yeas of fishing. I am in trouble now as my 7 yr rold is now the Toad Master for the year. I doubt I will catch anything bigger To bad I did not bring the camera!

Dave

great story, my 7yr old is also hooked.

he bagged a 6 pounder at bow lake and ever sense then he can get out enough. it is the best time spent. me and my son on the boat.

GregD

Awsome catch. Check your Master Angler awards for your state through the DNR website. Who knows he could be Master Angler for your state.

T.S.

That is what it is all about!

SWEEEET!

Mini

PS buy a disposable camera and keep it in the boat!!!!

Just go to the pictures from the '04 Rally.....

Pick out any one of the "Trepper" pictures.....

Edit out Trepper.....

Edit in your son!

No one will realize what you've done 'cuz no one pays any attention to the Trepper pictures! LOL!!

Congrats to you and your son!

me!

Dave - SWEET!!! Sounds like the one Staci mentioned above that I caught, of course I had to wait 30 years LONGER then your son, and i've NEVER caught anything dropshoting!!! LOL

That boys a keeper!!!

Edit out Trepper with your son will work, but you will have to fill in the skinny arms a little so it will look big enough for a 7 yr old!

Thanks to all, we found the NH trophy page and have sent in the form. My son Patrick will be listed on the web, and get at least a Master Angler patch. He has already informed me that he is ready to win some Tournaments. Well maybe when he a little older, those 8 hour T's are a little to long for a 7 yr old.

Latest posts

Back