Moving to Virginia

• Thread starter Justin Broughton
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I may be taking a job at the Pentagon and need some local knowledge help on living in Virginia. Any suggestions on areas to look at, avoid and for later, where to bass fish would be great!

So far we are looking around Lorton and Woodbridge. I do not plan to drive the whole way. The train or carpools make a lot more sense. Trying to keep the transit times at or below 45 minutes each way. Maryland just seems more expensive, so Virginia seems to be the way to go. I haven't decided to buy or rent yet...real estate is steep in that part of the world. I thought Colorado was bad.

Any help you locals can give would be nice.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

Stafford VA. is just south of DC on Interstate 95. It is a great place to live and may be a little cheaper. Besides, the Potomic River is only a couple minutes away and the fishing is pretty good.

Justin, Toxic or Carlos will probably jump in to help.

For my .02 worth, I don't believe Maryland is any more expensive than Northern Virginia. They are BOTH very high however. It's my thinking, and maybe I'm wrong, that the Maryland side of the river, near Indian head or Forestville would be cheaper for you. If you want to drive through D.C., there is a lot of housing near Bowie, MD though I don;t know how long the drive is.

Bill

You are to far northeast for me. I lived in Chespeake Va. for 14 years and would give my first born to go back. LOL

Justin, I didn't think about it because I don't have to make that commute:) The Bowie area I mentioned has the Metro-Rail right there and I know there is one to the Pentagon.

Keep jumping back to this thread. I will bet others jump in.

Bill

I live in Stafford, but work at Quantico. i dred the days I have to go North. Email me if you are intrestred in this area. I do like it here and there are quite a few that make the commute to the Pentagon from my 'hood.

Carlos

I Live in Woodbridge, VA. Righ off 95. Yes it sometimes sucks going up 95, but its still better than living in Maryland. I am 5 minutes from the ramp and the Potomac, so thats a HUGE plus. My better half, much better if you ask her!, car pools to DC every day. Takes her 30 minutes either direction.

E-mail me if you want more details.

Well.......I commute from Warrenton, VA to DC most every day. My office is at 1700-1730 Pennsylvania Avenue and let me tell you, it ain't no fun. I have commuted every way possible...

Drive to Metro

Drive to Light Rail

Carpool

Vanpool

Drive to Bus, Bus to Metro

and finally.....just drive in.

Every other option ended up being more expensive than just getting in the jeep and driving in. I have a lot of seniority within my agency so I get an underground parking space. Every other option was flat out more expensive. Until they make mass transit more economical than 1 person driving in, it will only be of limited success. I could go on for pages on commuting but needless to say, find a place as close as you can afford. When I relocated from Boston (a high cost area), every morning, I would listen to traffic radio (I was staying in Georgetown) and without a doubt the 95 traffic corridor was the worst. I crossed it off my list early on. Why do you think the housing is less expensive there...........????? I gave that same advice to a friend in the State Department who was coming in from a high level post at an embassy for duty at the White House. He didn't listen to me and bought a nice house down 95. He is miserable. I have a tough commute but either I have gotten used to it or I'm just numb.

TOXIC

Tox,

Is that numb or dumb :) Sorry, was not able to resist the jab. HAHAHAHAHAH

I am on the 95 Corridor. I am just dumb :)

You CIII, do not have to go all the way to the Pentagon every day. If I were you, I would just leave the boat at the marina and use it to get to the base!! How's that!! LOL

TOXIC

Tox,

Damn fine idea!! No traffic there and can be an exciting ride home at times.

I go to Crystal City on occasion, and that sucks up there. Soo glad I get to work down South.

AF, what is the story behind your screen name? You shoot?

Carlos

Latest posts

Back