Maybe the best mower I EVER have had.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
This is a follow up to my 'mowing' question(s) last week.

First off, I haven't bought a new ZTR or lawn tractor. Maybe this fall, but right now, no.

What I have bought, is maybe the absolute best lawn mower that I have ever had. I purchased the Toro 22" Self-paced walk behind mower, with electric start. Here's the scoop.

Mower comes setup for mulching, but easily converts to bagging (included) or side discharge.

Mulching - absolutely does the best job I've ever seen a mulching mower do. Period. Even with the grass high and thick, it chopped it up into a fine size, that simply disappeared into the lawn. The only problem I had was when we tried to mow 'extremely heavy/damp' grass, and it would occasionally 'load up'. More of an operator problem.

Side discharage - only took about 30 seconds to convert to side discharge on the lower 40. Very, very thick and damp, since it had not been mowed in about 4 weeks. Most of the lower 40 I could have done in mulching mode, but one section was particularly heavy, so I switched it out. Like a breeze.

Self-paced walk behind. This is virtually the only walk behind mower that I've ever owned/used whereby that is all you have to do - walk behind it. It has a 'pressure' actuator that slides back and forth on the handle. The faster you walk, the faster it goes (up to 4.8 mph - if you are up to it). It will also go super-slow if needed. I NEVER had to 'push' it, even coming back up the big hill to the house. It will adjust up to 4" deep mowing height, which is nice. Nothing special, but works well.

Electric start - after fighting/cussing lawn mowers all my life with the pull start, I opted for the $40.00 electric start option. Simply, elegant.

And now for the best part. Been married for 32 years. My wife took over the mower almost immediately on Saturday, mowing all of the upper yard by herself. Only needed assistance once, when the mower lugged down in very heavy grass (she wasn't sure why it stopped).

If you are needing a new mower, you have to look at this one. It is great. I mowed a 'large' part of our lower 40 on Saturday afternoon in about 90 minutes. Wonderful.

Tex

You are DEAD ON Tex. I had that very same mower and by far, it was the best push mower that I have ever owned. Excellent cut...etc...etc...etc. I got rid of mine because I got a DEAL on a John Deere 38" commercial walk behind. Cut my mowing time in half! Only thing I miss is the bagger.

Bryan

Thanks for the info, I was looking for another mower to replace the snapper that clogs up every 3 feet!

Jeff,

The model I purchased is 20041. My wife has been simply beside herself in how much she likes it. As Bryan stated, it is simply the best.

Tex

I think with everything (bag, battery, etc), it is about 90 lbs. I lifted it out of the box without any help. It's not light, but I don't consider it to be 'heavy' either.

If you are asking from a manuverability standpoint, it's very easy. There were times when I was mowing up under a row of bushes, I simply stood by the side of the mower and with one hand, advanced it along.

If you have to lift it repeatedly (in and out of a truck or trailer), it certainly would wear you out. I got mine at home depot, and they had several on the floor, so it was easy to take a close look. They also have the model without the electric start (but I'm now officially spoiled on that part).

Tex

You're moving up in the world :D

Take that experience and place it on your decision of your ZTR or ride-on, Toro's are awsome machines!

Hey Tex. Do you kow if the electric start is an add-on option after the sale? I've got a two year old Toro, maybe the same model or similar, without electric start. Electric start would be nice...

Craig

Craig,

I'm not sure whether or not you can get it as an add on. I'd check with a local authorized repair shop. On mine, the battery sits in a small compartment on the rear deck of the mower, just to the right of the left wheel. Switch is on the left handle about half way up. Those two parts wouldn't be hard, but the mechanical portion of the item, may be more difficult.

Tex

Tex, I got the Toro Super Recycler, model 20055 and am agreed is the best push type mower I have ever had or seen. Mulches excellent!! I sold my old rider snapper when I bought my new place to buy that mower figuring I did not need a riding mower anymore but I sure do miss riding and speed sometimes. Next season I was thinking on getting a John Deere L111. Have you checked out their homeowner models. Reasonable on price and built a little differently than the Crapsmans. Check them out. Mark

I have one and I really like It....

The best mower I have ever had is the one the lawn guy that does my lwn owns. :D:):D:rolleyes:

JDJ - I agree, when my wife and I both worked, didn't have kids and I travelled 5 days/week, I TOO had the best lawn mower!!! A crew that did it while I was out of town!!!

Years ago when we were both young and dumb I provided her with the best equipment money could buy for keeping the lawn maintain and she did a good job even though she was working 50 hours a week. As we got older she said it was getting to hard on her to mow and work so since I needed the money she earned for my toys I hired a lawn crew to take care of the mowing. :D:D:lol::);) I have 1.3 acres which about 2/3 of acre is mowable and the rest is woods and they only charge $35.00 to do the job so I let him have it.

Back