Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/FF....help!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Heitman

Reaction score
I have a new (4 months old) Tracker Targa V18 WT with a Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/FF that has been having problems since I got it. Everything is fine when all of a sudden it loses the bottom depth and flashes a number like 1.5 or 2.3. The screen turns completely green. It does this under various circumstances, no pattern to it. Early on, if I turned it off and back on it would work again. Not any more. I've reset all defaults. No help. I can still feel it sending a signal at the transducer when this happens. This problem continued to worsen until it was happenning about 50% of the time! Tracker swapped it for a new head unit. First time out, this one did it too! Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks! Targa

I have a new nitro about 4 months old with the same gps/ff .Fact is I have one at the helm and the other at bow on trollingmotor . the unit at the bow was the same as yours I found the transducer cable had a small cut in .Cable was replaced an works pretty well now but if running both units at same time seems to cause a false signal to bow have been told running 2 on same frequency causes that dont know for sure.

1) Do you have the latest software downloaded? It should be version 3.6. To find out, go Menu, Menu, System, About. It should show you what software version you are on. If it's not 3.6, then go here and follow the directions to download the latest software:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software-Updates/Elite-5-DSI/

2) Have you changed the fishing mode yet? If you are fishing in less than 100 feet of water, you should be using it in "Shallow Water" mode. To access, go Menu, Menu, Sonar, Enter, Fishing Mode (use drop down menu to get to Shallow Water setting).

Please let me know if this helps. If not, you could have a bad transducer or transducer cable.

All the best,

Glenn

I had the same issue with mine I returned the first one and the new one did the same thing, I called Lowrance and they suggested lowering the transducer 1/16" at a time I ended up lowering it about a 1/4" it now works flawless.

Wow! 3 excellent reponses... Thanks guys. I'll first check what software version I have and if it is set on shallow water. Then I'll let you know. Thanks! Targa

Glen,

Sorry it took me so long to get the info but here it is: I set it on "shallow water" and "auto sensitivity". It is: Version: 3.6.0. Build: RR17475G STU: 255.192 GPS: APPVER_2.1.4.3 Feb 19 2010 Navico Chart Version 2.1. And yes, it is still doing it. Any ideas? Targa

Are you pretty sure it is in the transducer / cable then. I hate to tear it out and replace it only to still have the same problem. What do you think about lowering the transducer? I don't understand why that would make a difference, in other words, it works fine some times and then doesn't work at all with the same transducer position. Any other thoughts? Thanks! Targa

No, I am not. Troubleshooting electronics over the internet is never foolproof. However, all things lead in that direction, and it is the next logical step that I would go to.

I re-read everything you wrote, and I didn't see mention of what depth you are in when it does this.

Lowering the transducer by dropping the trolling motor slightly lower or bringing a transom mount bracket down a bit on the stern (you never did say where it was mounted) can put it in cleaner, less disturbed water. If it's through-hull, you just might have it in a bad spot, or it may have not been installed correctly. Something as seemingly minor as tiny bubbles in the epoxy when a thru-hull transducer is mounted can severely affect it's performance. Or... it could be a cut / nicked cable or pushed pin in the connector (much more likely cut / nicked cable than pushed pin).

Since you have replaced the head unit, and all setup is now correct, I'd say your next logical step is to check out your transducer. But before you rip anything out, try to find someone with the same unit that you have, and swap out your head unit to their boat and check it out. If it doesn't do it in their boat, you have pretty much narrowed it down to the transducer in your boat.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn! It is transom mounted on a Targa V18 (aluminum boat). The mounting bracket allows for the transducer to "kick up" if it hits something. I watch it closely to make sure it stays parallel to the bottom of the hull. I believe there is some adjustment room in the bracket to lower or raise it an 1/8" or so. Should I try lowering it? As far as what depth I am in when it does this, I don't see any pattern but it is always less than 100' when it starts. I appreciate all your help and will share this conversation with the Tracker Marine Boat Center who will probably be trying to figure this problem out again. Thanks! Targa

Lower your transducer and your problem will be solved, you are getting cavitation (air bubbles) over the transducer drop it 1/8' at a time.

Hi Targa,

I am having an identical problem, with what sounds like the same setup for an Elite 5. Have you had any luck finding the solution? Blackdog

See my post above I had the ssame issue with one took it back and the new one did the exact same thing, I lowered the ducer about a 1/4" has been flawless since!