Lower unit oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Well looks like Im reduced to having to buy online all my supplies as my local Wally and boat dealer keep NOTHING to work with so here's my question...Best place to order my lubes? Is the High Performance lower unit oil Quicksilver High Performance ok to use in the 60 HP 2 Stroke Lower unit I saw where it said 75 and up just wondering and what type 2 cycle oil do you guys reccomend? My local dealer siad to change the impeller and not worry about the seals that sounds stupid to me if your going into it that deep..You guys give great advice keep it coming..Ed

Ed, I think for the lower than 75hp you should use the Premium Gear Lube made by Merc, I think you should stick to the merc products, look at

www.eastcoastmarineservice.com...they sell merc stuff and even the gaskets for the screws,

do you have any Auto discount stores near you, they might be able to order but comparing price is a good thing too. I am lucky enough to have several places here that carry items that I need so I just go by the cost and then go to the cheapest. Local merc dealer here I call the Mercstealer as most of their stuff is marked up 75%...

Mike

I found everythign at a different Walmart..Im gonna fish this coming weekend then get it ready for the winter..Thanks guys also one more question on my motor there's 2 screws at the top of the lower umit fill side whats the purpose of 2?

my motor is a 2005 60HP 2 stroke 1B002951 is my serial Number.

With the 2 screwa at the top of the lower unit does that Mean I fill from thr top?

Ed....Up top of this site there is Black background/white letters a section called "More" tab on that and then the section "Grab Bag" and then Maintenance under members projects, there is a nice visual with all info you might need. Always fill lube from the bottom screw which will push the air up and out the top screw (s). I think the second screw is there just to help drain oil quicker and then to aid with air when you pump it from the bottom. Once the oil comes out the top screws I put both screws back in (the top ones) leaving the pump hose in the bottom still connected and tighten both then give the pump another shot and loosen one of the top and usually hear some air along with some oil bubble out then re-tighten...

It's all fun

Latest posts

Back