leech rigging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
can anyone tell me (or better yet show me a picture or URL with pictures) of how to rig a leech for fishing? I've never tried leeches before, but with the slow or almost non-existance of the bite lately in our area, I'm willing to venture into new areas. Also, what is a prefered way to rig a tube bait? I'm taking the wife out for an attempt at bass in the morning & don't need her to be skunked...LOL

Thanks,

Maj

Hook em' right at the nose and your done...same as a crawler. They are also deadly under a float:D I don't have pic's:huh:

As far as the tubes rigging...if it's pretty much open water and not alot to get hung up on...I use the jigheads that slip inside the jig with an exposed hook. If it's heavier cover...your better to Texas rig.

Let the leech latch on to your thumb nail, slide the hook under the leech and through the sucker.

What Tee said re: tubes. Maybe try a rattle or a piece of alka seltzer in the tube.

Rich D

Last week I hooked them right through the mouth/sucker, or just behind that in the top 10% of the body. I also double/triple hooked some of them, when they were larger.

Tex

Believe it or not...they are also good "wacky rigged" under a float and a small aberdeen hook.

You can also Carolina rig them with a floating jighead at the other end...that works well when they are slow and on the bottom:D

Yup what they said, right through the sucker, it keeps then (until they see a fish) the 90% of their body flowing in the water. And Leeches are VERY hardy!

You climb in a dirty water ditch in Southeast Asia to hide. When you get out the next morning you have a lot of leeches rigged on you...:wacko: Your buddies can take turns burning them off with cigarettes.

Bill

You flip one out onto the boat floor using pliers and try to stick the hook into it's sucker while it tries to latch onto your fingers.

All the while going "ewe" and making sissy faces while your fishing partner laughs at you from the back of the boat.:D

At least that's how I do it.:) I hate those slimy things."ewe":(

Steve

It's the strangest thing about leeches. Over the years fishing up there I've found those brown spotted horse leeches you see swimming around, just are not as delicious (if at all interesting) to the fish as the ol' store-bought black leeches are. The standard black leeches that you get at the tackle shops work good, and will live much longer if you stick them through the middle, right below the sucker. That sucker is a big 'ol muscle for that little thing and the damage caused by its' impalement shortens their life span dramaticaly. (Or so I've been told!) From what I've experienced, a lively leech is a sitting duck for a hungry walleye. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Latest posts

Back