Lawn Mowers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMYTRUCK XMYTRUCK

Reaction score
Hello

I need a little help with getting a lawn mower, I have narrowed my search to two models one of the a Toro 20016 Variable Speed High Wheel and the second choice was a sears craftsman High Wheel. Both are the same price but the Toro is lighter has a 1/4 more HP and has variable speed, while the craftsman only has one speed but is on sale 40 bucks off the sticker. So I guess my big question is which one ? Toro seems to have a better name, and seems to offer more.

Thanks

X

From personal experience, I would say the variable speed, but that is just my preference.

Dealer questions?

Toro has a great reputation. Sears has a good repuatation.

Both will likely do the job.

Will the Toro come from a dealer (smaller guy), or a box store? That may be a deciding factor.

Unless you are mowing really heavy stuff, will the increase in HP really help? Is it self-propelled? If so, then the increase in HP will be beneficial.

I have a Sears Lawn Tractor - 42" and had it for 3 years. Runs good. Had to do some repairs, but that is in most cases due to the property (dirt clumps/rocks/etc) that I deal with. Engine works good (it's a Briggs/Stratton).

I'd buy it again, but would probably buy a Toro if comparable in price.

Tex

OK I've taught small engine class for years and I'd pick according to the engine that's mounted on the deck.

In any case They probably have either a Briggs and Stratton or Techcumseh engines of which I have rebuilt both. Both are good but I'd give the nod to the Briggs if I had to pick a mower on the basis of the engine alone. Briggs have better luck with the starter clutch assembley. It's heavy duty but it seems that it's the first thing that goes wrong with a Tech. The Briggs has a better carb linkage system. The oil splasher in the crankcase is a little wheel with multiply spokes that throw oil connected to the crank by a gear. The Tech has a single dipper on the end of the connecting rod. Therefore better lubrication on the Briggs. Hope this helps

fatrap

It's always amazing the different experiences and knowlege that lurk behind these great angling minds, here on NTOWS.

Good feedback - FatRap. Learned something, once again.

Tex

Don't get the craftsman. I am on my second one and they start tough. Plus I have one of their weed trimmers and it has crapped out too. The aftermarket parts are ridiculously expensive. As for their handtools, nothing finer and the best warranty out there. Same as Snap-On but half the price.

I have not been impressed by any of my 3 Craftsman lawn tools. They did go good for the first one and replaced it, but I had the same problems with the 2nd.

don't over look Snapper. they were rated the best with consumer reports. i have the super high vac, it is as about as cool as a lawn mower can get.

GregD

LOL, I'm laughing because I was just going to post the same thing as GregD did:)

I had a Snapper push mower for fifteen years until it finally crapped out. I then bought a big wheel Craftsman and haven't had any problems that I didn't cause. I only bought this because the Snapper dealer closed and the next nearest was 25 miles away.

I have also had a Snapper riding mower for twenty-five years and it's still going strong. It has an 8hp Briggs and Stratton engine.

Can't go wrong with a snapper:)

Bill

I bought a used Snapper riding mower with a 15hp Briggs last year for the cabin(about 2yrs old) for $800. The new ones are about $2500. Best $800 I ever spent. My grass gets really tall because I only get down there about every other week. It is not level and majorly bumpy. That mower goes thru it like its nothing.

Ill second the snapper. My father bought one of those about 20 years ago and it still mows the lawn every week to this day. My mother thought he was on crack for buying an expensive mower but it has lasted a very long time.

I stand corrected the Craftsman does have variable speed and it's 6.75 hp I was looking at the wrong model. Decisions Decisions

Texas Transplant is right this board has great about of knowledge..

Well Tox, all turtles need to stay in there shells because they aint gettin' in my mud !!!

One more vote for Snapper. I have a self-propelled push mower now in it's forth season. It's a brute, the wife has trouble starting it but I love it. Except for a broken starting rope I've never had a hiccup. I is variable speed (5 I think) which does come in handy depending on how thick or wet the grass is. I used to borrow a Toro from work and I hated it. I didn't like the deadman system they use that stops the blade instead of the motor. Sometimes you would look back and see that you had been mowing without the blade turning.

Harpo

Ok, Toxic and Teri, go to your (separate) rooms!

One more thing about the Snapper. It's like a vacuum cleaner on your grass and fall leaves. It picks up everything..

Bill

I'm sure Teri has very nice mud. But for the sake of everyone's sanity, it should FOREVER remain, at the very least, NTOWS turtle free!

I vote against the craftsman.I currently own one and would not get another.

Hard to start

no throttle control

not very much power for a 6.5 hp.

Although no problems yet after three years.

It fishing season and all you guys are talking about is mowing the lawn??? You guys are supposed to be out fishing and let the kids take care of the lawn (thats what I do, i always mow the lawn) My dad dont care how I get it done just as long as its cut. LOL

T.S.

I CAN'T WAIT until Cody is old enough to cut grass!!! LOL I hate mowing my lawn. You're right Travis, that IS why we have kids in the first place. Make you little buggers work off some of the debt you put us in with 24 hour eating, and designer clothes and sneakers. Don't even get me going on soccer/hockey camp and gear. My boy is only 6 and already it's soccer and hockey camp. But I'm hoping that will replace college tuition in the form of a scholarship! Yeah, me and the rest of the squads parents! LOL

Rob, I hate to burst your bubble but when they're finally big enough to run the mower, you can't pay them enough to do it without a fight and a bullwhip. I pay my little paycheck sucker 20 bucks. My yard ain't that big...if he got after it he could do in 1/2 hour but he still *****s about mowing the backyard 'cause of all the dog doodie.

Do you think they would give me the death pentalty?....If the judge is the father of a teenager I think he would understand.

Harpo

I would gladly do it for $20 Sooner. My parents pay me $5 to do it but I dont complain because my dad brings me fishin :) I wish I could get a raise for doing it because I have to trim, weed whip, and mow. Shoot my neighbor pays me mor to do his lawn $5....per HOUR. And It usually takes my 2 hours to do his lawn and that doesnt count weed whiping or trimming.

T.S.

Harpo,

You get a Good Guy discount for being on the NTOWS ill do it for $3 an hour....LOL

T.S.

Too late Travis, I already hired some guy named Cookie Monster.

Harpo

how u post a pic?

Honda. Great motor, excellent rear wheel drive transmission, ball bearing wheels and an indestructable/rust proof Xenoy body.

My top-of-the-line Craftsman lasted six seasons with good care. The Briggs motor was ok, not easy to start, loud, but pretty reliable. The deck rusted away, the wheel bearing (plain bushings) got wobbly after a couple of seasons, the cables got stretched and sloppy, and the bagging system left a lot to be desired.

The Honda, now going into it's fifth season, is a champ. I expect to get another 10 years out of it, at least. The motor starts first or second pull every time. It's quiet. Goes much further than a side-valve Briggs on the same amount of gas. It cuts beautifully, and the deck still looks brand new whenever I hose it off.

I also like Toro's features, but IIRC Toros use Tecumsah motors.

I agree with a snapper a craftman is crap.The snapper rides like a bucking bull but u can not kill one.

You PAY your own children to cut the grass????

When I was about twelve years old, I told my Dad I wanted an allowance. All of my friends got one! Well, he told me he would think about it and I went off to the river to swim with my friends. When I got home EVERYTHING I owned was piles in the middle of the living room floor. My Dad then asked me just WHAT out of the pile I wanted for an allowance.. I said "I understand: and then had to put all of that stuff away:)

It was a "bought" lesson, which is the best kind.

Bill

We used to sell mowers at the store, You get what you pay for. Most mowers are made by 1 of 2 companies MTD or AYP no matter what there label says the biggest problem with craftsman is not the quality of there mtd made mowers it's the fact that if you need a replacement part you have to call the 1-800 parts department and I can tell you first hand they are the dumbest people in the world. Even if you have your manual and the part # expect 1 hour on the phone while you teach them to count.

BF

P.S Honda makes top of the line stuff but not in this country.

While growing up, I ran a gas powered push mower in heavy St. Augustine grass (Houston) from March through November. It was a large yard, three lots. Mower was always hard to start, and my Dad wanted it done a certain way. The whole lawn mowing deal was a real problem, between me and my Dad.

When my son was growing up, he mowed the lawn about 6 to 10 times - total. It was my choice. I left it up to him, whether he helped or not. I did not want the lawn to be a problem between the two of us, like I had with my dad. We had enough to deal with.

When he comes home to visit, if in the summer, he generally helps out.

Just another viewpoint.

Tex

I have a self-propelled 5.5hp craftsman....it's worked flawlessly for 10yrs and has never taken more than 2 pulls to start. Never had a problem with it....wouldn't hesitate to buy another one!

Tex, I like that attitude. I'm trying to instill a bit of work ethic in Andy with the lawn mowing. I have no problem feeding and clothing him and even paying for things like Boy Scout campouts and his fishing tournament entrance fees ect. I know a 14 year old has limited reasources for earning money. I would rather have him earn the money he needs for vidieo games and movies ect. On a few occasions when he was being particulary lazy I just quietly go out and start doing it myself.....he'll be out there in a jiffy.

Harpo

I dont mind mowing the grass because it lets me get away from things. I just turn on my cd player and go to work. LOL

Dang That Cookie Monster---He's always up to no good. Stealing stuff like work and cookies. He's a bed influence. I think Ill stay away form him.

T.S.

T.S.

Back