Keeping live bait

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck keeping large quantities of nightcrawlers and chubs/minnows alive for a season in your home? Did you need any special equipment?

Any advice appreciated.

Rich D

Rich,

Worms are easy, I get one of the old metal laundry washing tubs from a farm center, then buy worm bedding form Wal-Mart, as much as you need. Put the appropriate amount of water in it (I prefer rain water), and after the alloted waiting time, toss in the worms. Make sure it stays moist, not TOO wet, or they'll drown, and once a week I throw in used coffee grounds for feed, or bread crumbs. You'll have some plump lively worms for Walleye opener in spring! Don't do the minners though!

Rich - I've got nightcrawlers right now in my fridge over 4 months. As long as I add a little water every week or so and don't get them too far back in the fridge (or they freeze). As to minnows, i've got 2 living in my son's 10 gallon fish tank along with his MONSTER goldfish! They've been in there about 3 months. My problem now is Noah won't let me take HIS minnows back to the lake!

If you put the crawlers in the fridge make sure you not only water them and keep them from freezing but also LABEL them so your wife doesn't open them thinking it's left overs LOL

Rob - Even better for more than a few in the fridge. Just make sure you keep them in a not too Cold/Hot area in the garage or take in side. Not only have I frozen some i've left the worms (in the container) in the garage over a summer night and melted them!

Yeah, I did that once, but in my livewell for a WEEK!. Let's just say that I would not wish that stink on my worst enemy! UGH! Could not get it out for a week!

I took over the wooden half barrel that was used for flowers on my porch and added lots of worms. I added peat and water weekly and food scraps except for fruit. I did use a little worm food they sell at sporting goods store just to help the little guys out. As the barrel filled up, I took out some dirt and used as potting soil for my house plants. They loved that stuff. In fact, my gardenia blossumed about 2 weeks back.

I still have worms left from last year in the barrel and they lived. Now, if it would stop snowing here in Chi-town..

Barb

Latest posts

Back