Is this bad?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
All of ya'll know this is my senior year...and Its my dream to fish professionally..

but is this bad?

I have a really good friend..happens to be a girl..etc. etc. etc.

Is it bad to think "I'd give up tournaments and my dream" for her?

BJ

note---this is more of a joke (in a way..but its true at the same time)...so dont take it too seriously....lol

BJ, define bad. There are countless people who have delayed or sacrificed "dreams" for someone. Just remember that it is in fact a dream, and she is real. I think that the best possible scenario would be that she become a Pro as well, and you fish as a team. If you wanna dream, dream big!

Dave---ooops!!!! forgot to send my check in...been sittin on my desk for a month now...subscription ran out...

lol, actually..My career is really starting to explode. One sponsor, tons of support, family and friends (not finacially though..but thats not a problem, still fishign some smaller stuff, hopefully be able to fish some bigger stuff next year)

This year I was nominated president of the club i fish in. I dont know..it'll be neat to see what unfolds during the next several years for me. But this girl is also a great friend too...who knows

Bass Fishing, Rodeo, NASCAR, Rock Star, whatever...

If you truly believe you've got the talent, enthusiasm, and fortitude to pursue that path in life, then that's exactly what you need to do. You should never "give up" a dream because it isn't someone elses dream. You'll always regret your chance you might have had.

Now, the question is, are you good enough? Do you have the fortitude and desire to travel? Can you go to a foreign body of water and find fish fast? Can you do it for three days?

If you can successfully compete in your area local tournaments (not club) and *know* you're the bad dog on the porch, then you're on your way. There's never been more money or opportunities to excel at this sport than there are right now.

BJ....

You will have the support of family and friends in whatever you do as long as you are working hard toward a goal. Whenever you have a goal you have to establish some priorities and then "take care of business".

I would think that you should be in the middle of applying to colleges or trade schools and arranging for your future. When you have the education and job skills that is needed to support a family, then you can get serious about that aspect of your life. If this girl is "the one" she is going to support you in putting together a future plan, because it will be her future as well.

When you have that plan in place and you have a set of job skills or a degree to "fall back on" then you can drive headlong into your long term dream of fishing as a pro. Your supporters will be there with you when you need them.

Don't slow down, but do plan and execute... plan and execute...

I've got the enthusiasm, and i'm trying to get the experience, i fish whenever i can. I finished in the top 4 in the club last year and 5th this year.

I only have the oppurtunity to fish one or two big tournies each year (BFL, or something like that) Last year i didn't even get the chance to prefish.

I definatly have the desire to travel.

As for finding fish on a foreign body of water..never had the oppurtunity to do that yet.

I've got a lot of road in front of me i know..but it'll work out.

Greg-enrolled (applied anyway) at a local college here in OKC. Its a two year school. I'll get my Associates degree in business there and then go to OU for a Bachelors and then possibly a Masters in Business Adminstration.

Its not only my dream to become a pro..but also to own my own businesses. My big dream for businesses is to own a boat company someday.

BJ

Get an education FIRST,....then worry about fishing and women!! It's a whole lot easier to afford "both" if you have the skills and brain power to back it up! Trying to get a decent hi-paying job in today's world WITHOUT atleast a Bachelor's degree is EXTREEEEMELY hard to do and it's only going to get worse as more and more people graduate, and more mid-level jobs are lost to cheap over-seas labor pools...soon it'll take atleast a Master's just to get an interview!!! It's scary man,...and I see it happening here EVERY day in the auto industry!!

Do yourself a huge favor,....get that 4yr degree first and THEN pursue your "dreams". Along the way, you just may find that perfect partner that has the same goals/dreams you do and before you know it,...BINGO,..you made it!!

Now go do your homework!! LOL!!

Mac

(BTW--my oldest daughter is a Sr. this yr too and luckily for me,..she just broke up with her latest boytoy 'cuz she "doesn't have time for his crap!!"....now THAT's exactly what a father of a teenage daughter DOES want to hear!!!) LOL!!!

Mac- Umm her dad..where do i start. He's by far my biggest mentor. He owns four companies. He's like my best friend so to speak. I'm not sure if he knows that i like his daughter tho...is that bad? actually he does...his son told him...

marry her,....LOL!!

(Seriously,..as successful as he is,..he already knows how hard it is to make something out of nothing...and he's going to want someone to take care of his daughter, who appreciates "hard work" and isn't afraid of it. Prove to him that you have what it takes and you never know what the future may hold....he could ultimately give you his daughter AND his empire,....AFTER you graduate from college!)

Carry on,....

Agree with Mac, the education needs to come up front. Seems you have a good think with the GF.

Now, I do nto have a college education. I had "other" things get in the way of that. It is wayyyy harder now to get any sort of schooling now that I am busy in the work place. Please do get the education and work with the GF as you go :)

You will have many many many more doors open with the degree...... again, take it from one who knows....

good luck in your decision BJ :)

Hey BJ,

If she's telling you that she doesn't want to be a part of your life if you continue fishing, she must not care about you as far as what you want and what your goals are. I think it's pretty rediculus if she wants you to stop doing what you love and expect you give give her 100% of your attention all the time. If I were you I'd get one on one with her and tell her how much fishing really means to you, and that it would be extremely difficult to give up. Doesn't she play basketball? Tell her if she wants to be with you she'd have to give up her sport too.lol

I hope you can get both the girl and follow your dream, cause if you can't there's something wrong.

By the way, I've had trouble logging onto AIM, so if you need to get a hold of me shoot me an email. Thanks. Josh

BJ

I'll tell you what I told my daughter. If your gonna fall in love with someone it's just as easy to love a rich person than a poor one. So if you have an option go for the dough.LOL

Education trumps everything. If you plan on becoming a pro. Get a degree in Marketing or business something you can apply one you get your foot in the pro fish door. Don't forget Speech and English classes. You need to be articulate and well spoken. The classic saying "Boyah Thaaat Shorrrre a Niiiiiice Feeesh doesn't sell baits, boats, and a host of other products.

Good luck kid

fatrap

PS don't become a teacherLOL

Thanks everyone!

She doesn't mind me fishing. She has a boyfriend right now...i can't stand that...it drives me up the wall. we get into fights every once in a while (not big fights..we just dont see eye to eye sometimes. and we always work it out.)

Josh-wrong girl...She plays vollyball. I'm going to Tulsa, Oklahoma saturday to watch her tournament. (my sister plays on this team too..but who cares what she does.. ;>)

Lets compare...Her boyfriend doesnt like vollyball and doesnt' come to many games of hers. I HATE vollyball..its like tennis..you just watch a ball go back and forth..BORING!!!!!! but i come to EVERY game i can. I try to treat her like ROYALTY. I did say we dont see eye to eye sometimes but we ALWAYS work it out. She's a very good friend of mine. her bf is just in the way.

BJ

BJ - I think what everyone missed (or maybe it is me) is that she is your friend, not your girlfriend. You want her to be your girlfriend but she already has a boyfriend and isn't eager to switch over to you at the moment.

Probably pretty frustrating to you. You can expend energy on her to TRY to get her to see you in a different light or spend energy on fishing. That is the dilemna, right?

I think it is a right of passage to pursue some girl who doesn't see you in the same light as you see her. That is what being a teenager is all about and you'll relive stories about the girls that got away from you in some bar 10 years from now with the friends you are with at the time.

If you ease up on that and she really does like you, she will probably be able to make a decision. I am guessing she senses you like her either by you telling her that or by your actions.

Pull up a little bit and focus on fishing, having fun and school. Maybe if she saw you weren't so eager, she would start paying you more attention ... and if she didn't, well, you will have relaxed, chased your dream and met many more women who will be more in line with your goals.

Sorry if I am reading your question the wrong way - my two cents anyways. Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Just imagine all the girls that totally blew off Bill Gates, when he was in High School.....and all the guys who thought Oprah was a dog,....

"Dey ain't laughin' NOW!!!"....LOL

BJ

Your still young, you still have time to figure out if she is your true love. Once you go off to school there will be plenty of chances to fall in love over and over again. Go after your first love fishing and if things where meant to be this girl will be waiting for you.

But time to get back to the most alarming part of this post...you don't like girls volleyball.....a lot of girls wearing tight short shorts tight shirts and bouncing all over the court.....man that was where it was at when I was in high school....

Mad Kayaker- HIT IT ON THE HEAD! we have both talked about it..long story. i'll get back to it this evening when i get home from school

BJ

I couldn't get enough of the Olympic Women's Volleyball. Those unifroms wow!!!!! What! There's a ball envolved??

fatrap

I really liked the women's beach volleyball during the olympics....nice uniforms on those ladies.

BJ -

Simple advice. There is a world full of women and you will have many opportunities ;>). At your age, try not to get hung up on one, particularly if the feeling is not mutual. Be confident and relaxed with establishing relationships. If a relationship is meant to be it will happen. Don't force it.

Paul

Tell me about it....wasn't there commercial with girls playing snow volleyball in bikinis....that would be a good game for the winter olympics....

Anyway...heres kinda the story.....

About a month before school started we (my sister and I) were over at her house, my sister (she has two brothers...and a new baby sister..named Crimson (after OU..like it harpo??) was swimming with them...i had a very bad ear infection and couldn't swim at the time. I sat on the side of the pool and for the next 2 and a half hours we (me and this girl) just talked while my sister played bball and a couple other water 'sports' with her brothers, and my sister had one of her friends with her too, she was playing too. Anyway we talked the whole time, it was here where i started 'liking' her i guess.

Anyway, the next week they wanted Joy and I to spend the night over there and stay up late playing games, watching movies..etc. etc. the wednesday night before this my sister, me and this girl went out to eat afer church (btw-her grandfather is the pastor at my church) to 'plan' what we would do...that night we got on to talking about me asking a girl out thats in my class. on the way home she said that i needed to find a girlfriend...so i jokingly said (well it wasnt joking) Why dont you go out with me. she took it as a joke..that was fine..i didn't care.

Anyway..school started, it was great. she has the same lunch period and we have choir together (i can't sing..i wonder why i took choir???? hmmmm.....) She invited me to sit with her and her friends..that was cool..i did.

Anyway...by now football has started and we are early in the season, and she plays vollyball with my sister..also during this time. well one monday they had a game out in Mustang, Oklahoma (about 30-45 minute drive..well took me an hour because we (her brother and I) couldnt find the gym and we stopped for a bite to eat after a LONG football practice.i really didn't want to drive all the way out there..but i did just for her. we got to watch about a whole 5-10 minutes of that game. but she was pleased to know that i drove all that way to watch her and Joy (well she thought i came to watch my sister..HA!) play their vollyball game. That next week I left for my senior retreat ( a two day retreat my school does for the seniors at the beginning of the year..it was a BLAST!!!!) well she called me during that time..it was fun. she called me to see how i was doing..i was touched..lol. anyway the next day i get a text message "hey hows the trip going. i have some cool news Luke and I are official now. see ya when i get back" i knew she liked luke..but i didnt really see this coming (well yeah i did). Anyway...i didn't like it that much. I got back and she was excited to have her first boyfriend...she immidiatly knew that i wasnt too happy about it. she didnt understand why. we kept getting into small arguments about him. She had her suppisions (sp?). Anyway..she finally asked me why i didn't like her boyfriend...i just said it was how he treated her..which i dont like that either..he treats her 'nicely'..but doesnt go above and beyond..HE SHOULD!!!!..well one day when they were out to eat at lunch her brother told her family that i liked her. so she now knew. I didnt know this till about two weeks later....Anyway one day after practice i had to drive her brother home. i did and he asked me to come inside. i did and it was just me, him, and her. and what do you know..we get going about her bf. she finally asked why i didnt like him. so i explained....but i beat around the bush..i never said that i liked her.

Anyway..we kept getting into arguments and it hit a peak this past Sunday night. We are very close friends..and we were this close [] to saying there is no way we can be friends..we were at each others throats..but we started getting upset about thigns other than her boyfriend too. (and we also talked on the phone till 1 am sunday night) well last monday i had to drive her to my house so she could go with my sister to vollyball practice..we fought the whole way home.<s

OK - First I need to get the womens volleyball pictures out of my head. Seeing as how that is not going to happen, I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

Most of the people agree here and most of them are older (not teenagers) men that have seen this and seen the results. Hindsight is always 20/20 - very important to remember that because the opinions here are mostly hindsight.

You more than likely have no idea how many girls you have a shot with right now. This is the time in your life to experiment (be safe). You need to have both good and bad relationships now so you will KNOW, not think you know, what you are looking for in a life partner. Your ideas on that WILL change as you mature.

Basically what I am saying is don't wait on this girl, she has made it clear that she is not leaving her present boyfriend for you. Get out and date and have fun. When she breaks up with that guy, then you can pursue her again, unless you are in a relationship that is more important to you. Either way you are enjoying life - which needs to be your main goal while you are young and have few responsibilities.

As an aside, pushing her is exactly what it means, when you push you move something close to you away. Don't jeapordize your relationship as her friend, it will also hurt your relationship with her dad. Be nice to her and learn everything you can from her dad.

Ok BJ

#1 you never become friends with a girl first if you want to date her....now she will not want to date you because she knows if yall do ever break up she will lose a really good friend.

#2 She know you like her, and if she felt the same way about you she would be dating you right now and not that other guy.

#3 You will have plenty of girls that you will think you are head over heels for and it will turn out not to be the one. Trust me don't put all your eggs in one basket with this one. Play the field have fun and stay focused. FISHING FISHING FISHING....

ahhhhh....to be young again. On second thought....NOT!!!

Are we really the best cast of charachters to be asked these type of questions.....think about it. LOLOL!!

TOXIC

She could become your pro partner. How about that? Her job could be to help you fufill both your dreams.

her bday is tomorrow.

I just got home from the store. I bought her a dozen red roses, and a bday card that says something about why God created friends. can't remember the whole thing but its beautiful and i wrote a very nice to her and put in it.

What do you think?

lol lol..i love this thread..it cracks me up

BJ...

You are a "good" special... But, Toxic may be right... We might not be the best advisors for you... We are a pretty "warped" bunch...

But, you are right on with the flowers... Right on!

Greg-Toxic may be right. but again..i wanted to have fun with this post. even tho its true..its more of a joke...

Do you honestly think i'd give up fishing (MY DREAM, MY DRIVE, MY PASSION, MY LIFE) for a girl?!?!?!??!?!

well yes i would for her..but its more of a joke..

BJ

BJ,

I constantly remind my wife that I gave up all chances for a career in the NBA for her... (Course, I never had even a teeeny tiney chance but, I don't play in the NBA )

BJ,

That was good :)

You know how the "church lady" from SNL said "special" HAHAH

Really it is a good thing :)

Today was her bday.

THis morning at church, at the end, our Music minister got up and said that someone in the church had dropped their keys in the parking lot and he had them. He asked if they belonged to anyone and everyone was looking around seeing if they had their keys. He kept saying "they belong to someone you need to come get them" finally he siad "ya know..if your parents are nice enough to buy you a car for your birthday you could at least come get the keys"...she about fainted. She was so surprised. I've never seen her have a bigger smile on her face.

This evening she wants me to take her, her brothers, and my sister to a restaurant here in town just for us to celebrate her birthday. I'll give her, her gift then. My sister said she invited Luke (her bf) to come tonight..thats fine i dont really care. i'll be nice...;>)

Latest posts

Back