Inflatable Vests - Which NOT to buy??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Tex made a good suggestion to me, and they are on sale at BPS, to get the light weight inflatable PFD. Beka agreed since i got my annual bonus, and she said "don't buy the cheap one like you want, buy the RIGHT one and save your skinny butt!!"

So, I know of at least 3 brands - Sospenders, Mustang and the BPS/XPS (don't know who makes them for BPS).

What I need to know is which one should I NOT buy or look at based on your experience having one.

Thanks - Hope to order one over the weekend, or drag the family to BPS!!! LOL

I dont have an inflatable so im not sure but i would think the sospenders would be the one to get. I say that because they are the most puopular one and getting things like recharge kits may be easier long term.

I dont know what the rules are in GA but up here the "self inflate' ones must be worn to count as a pfd. i know a few guys that used them while running then took them off and got tickets because there were not enough pfd's on the boat. had they been wearing it thye would not have gotten the ticket.

Trep, take that annual performance bonus and get a Mustang, The one I purchased has the lift assist and it wears like a vest. I don't take mine off when I'm fishing as a co - angler in the FLW or Elites. That way when the pro says we are out of here it's one less thing I have to worry about when he's ready.

Buzz
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/liftvestpfd.html

What ever you settle on try them on before you buy. I bought a pair of Sospenders a while back, and they were absolutely uncomfortable, rubbing against my neck so I took them back. This was a while back so the newer ones are probably better. But the point is to try them on before you buy. If they are comfortable, you will wear them. If not, you won't.

I bought the sospenders when there was a group buy. I think it was Neeley who came up with it.

Lost one to the Mississippi river when my son let it on the back deck. Mine is very comfortable and I never take it off because I forget I have it on. There less expensive then Mustang and the refill kits are about 10 bucks cheaper. Also the came with exta fill kits in a pocket in the vest.

Spending more money doesn't always mean your getting a better product. They are all Coast Gaurd approved. and I believe sospenders were the first on the market.

Mark

BPS/XPS Deluxe Auto Inflatable vests are made by Mustang and are identical to the Mustang Tournament Inflatable vest. Uses the exact same re-arm kit, etc. I have two and they are very comfy. But the BPS vest is about $30 less.

There are a couple types of self-inflating vests to be aware of.

The first and original type uses water contact to trigger the inflator. These types can be accidentally triggered by splashing and most often by laying flat with water on them.

The most recent and slightly more money are "submersion" types that will inflate when they sense pressure due to submersion under the water (usually to a depth of 1-3 ft). This type of vest as fewer accidental inflations.

There is a signficant price difference between the two. Be sure you know the difference before you dimiss one over another.

Safe boating...

Mike

You might want to consider an auto-inflator over a manual inflator too...........if you get knocked unconcious and you have a manual inflator (pull tab)....good chance you might be a crawfish's bait pile!!:huh::blink: And ALWAYS get the spare inflator kit!!

Mac

Also dont do what my buddy Steve did with his. He put his in my storage under the driver seat on a rainy day while we were on the road. When we got to the ramp and he went to open the seat water got in and all we heard was pfffffft, it inflated and we couldnt get it out. It was quite funny.

I still laugh when I remember the story of Buzz riding with LaMoist and his went off at 50 mph!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

I had one laying in the back of my truck under the cap.... Went to a car wash... and it was aligned (like Pluto with Mars) perfectly so that as I sprayed the truck, water went through a 1/16 inch gap at the lock and the cap window, and hit the inflator... All I saw was this rapidly growing yeelo blob in the back and heard a Pfsssst!!!!

Still, I really like my SOSpenders

I didn't think it was that funny Tox. Luckily it deflated quickly with a knife. LOL.

Buzz

I bought a Mustang Auto-Inflate off another site for a really cheap price. The way my equilibrium is nowadays I just know I'm going overboard sometime or another and like Mac said, a manual unit wouldn't do me any good if I hit my head. On the other hand I have heard a lot of stories about the Automatic ones going off when they shouldn't. I've heard they don't even have to get wet but severe humidity can set them off? Plus, what happens when it rains? I guess you better have a real good rain suit to put on over the vest? So, for now I guess I'll wear that Mustang (haven't yet) and also carry my old regular Stearns with me.

Uncle Billy

I wouldn't worry too much Uncle Billy. I've had my BPS XPS (same as Mustang) vests for a full season, including rain and humidity. No premature inflation issues! Course, I guess I should test 'em to make sure they will work, but then the rearm kit ain't cheap! I use my stearns for swimming when the fishing slows down!

Thanks Guys - Mac and others, yes i'm planning on getting the auto/manual one, I've shown Beka the prices ($99 - $170) and we're cool. Thanks for the ideas on trying them on, I almost bought one off BPS online, but will now make it a requirement to hit BPS and try on all brands to see what fits me before I buy.

We have had more and more deaths lately on the lakes around here, usualy at night or when folks are NOT being careful, and like most I don't wear my lifejacket when fishing or runing unless it's cold or rough. I like the idea of having it on all the time, just gotta remember this summer with the kids, to NOT wear it to go swimming off the boat!! I'll have to keep my regular ski life jacket for those days!!

Trep

Back