i almost won a tourny

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Well for catching fish i'm out of my spell...

I fished a small mini boat tourny yesterday. I caught my first keeper since the end of May. my dad caught one a lil later..we caught quite a few fish...a lot of short fish. We ended the day with 2 keepers...barely keepers but they would touch the 14 inch line.

we left our area a lil early to stop on one other spot to try to catch one more. when my dad started the engine it wouldnt go anywhere....we pulled it up and the prop was gone...i immediatly jumped up on the trolling motor and put it on high..we were about a mile or so from weigh-in. it was 11:45 and weigh in was at 12:00.

We got back at 12:01....our fish weighed 2.0 even...we were in first place...they were paying 2 places...1st and 2nd. When the 3rd place finishers found out we had won they filed a protest that we were 5 minutes late....mmhmm..right...NO!

This is the club I am the president of...they said we were 5 minutes late...nope...just one. When the treasure (don't have a VP) asked what people thought nobody cared...they said it was fine because we had no motor and had to use the trolling motor to get back..nobody cared because we were back before anyone had time to put their boat on the trailer.

Well the people who were in 3rd said that they wanted a penalty put on us we lost 1 pound...they got moved to 2nd so they finished in the money..we finished dead last..eveyone had one fish...we were the only team with 2 fish....

To me this all goes back to greed...these guys I know nobody here knows them...these mini boat tournys are for fun...you'd think these guys are paying thousands to fish the BASS tournaments. These guys take these tournys way to seriously.

Yes we were a minute late....but we also had engine trouble...eveyone...except the two people were fine with us weighing in like nothing had happened...

When they put the penalty on us...it made one guy very upset...i'm not mad or anything...yes we were late. My dad and I's best friend in these tournys is VERY upset at them. He told me that he's not going to forget it and when something happens to them he'll be sure that they are dq'd...he even told me that if they kept acting this way he'd leave this club. the person i am talking about is one of the oldest members. I he's unlike anyone i've ever seen. He doenst have the money to fish big tournys...the 30 dollar fee for these tournys is about all he can afford sometimes. i promise you he is one of the best anglers in Oklahoma..i've learned more from him than anybody else. I know this may sound odd but if he leaves our club it would have the same affect on the club as if Denny Brauer left BASS because somebody filed a protest against his son....kinda like that..

My dad and I have been thinking lately about this being our last full season with this club. We've decided that next year we are going to join the Chickasha Bassmasters. I've fished a few tournies with them before. They are a BASS chapter so I'll be able to do qualifiers and hopefully get on the state team. Its time for me to step up to bigger tournys anyway. There isn't a big difference in the entry fees for the club tournies i fish now and the chickasha bassmaster tournys season events.

Very Nice Finish, BJ!

Congrats to you and your dad!

It's unfortunate that you had motor problems..... Real unfortunate.... But rules are rules.....

There is always next time!

Latest posts

Back