humminbird depth finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Brown

Reaction score
I have an humminbird wide 128 on my 98 nitro 700lx. When i run the diagnostic the results show no problems. When I'm running on the lake it seems the image is broken when it gets over 45 feet or 35 mph. I noticed there is about 10-15 feet extra cable from the unit to the transducer, if i shorten this cable will this help my problem?

Where is your transducer mounted? I wouldn't recommend shortening the cable.

If the transducer is mounted back by the transom, when running you're cavitating. Nothing short of mounting the transducer inside the hull will cure that.

Its mounted inside the hull, i thought about replacing it because the humminbird looks great on demonstration mode, but the transducer is mounted underneath the fuel tank. It may just be age of the unit, but i can remember going 40 plus and having constant read out no matter of depth of water.

I would do two things. One is make sure the pad area of your hull is intact and in good shape. If you have any nicks big nicks in it you could be making air bubbles under the pad which will cause problems. The other is just replace the transducer, I have more then once had similar symptoms to yours and it was just the the transducer was failing, they don't last forever.

Another thing to check and a very real possibility is that the transducer has come loose from the epoxy. Make sure the transducer is still firmly set for thru-hull.

I would not shorten the cable!

If all else fails, support an American company and buy a new Humminbird!

Thanks for all the help,

I thinking i'm going to spend the money and get a new one. I am looking at the piranahaMax 153, with a transom mount transducer, anyone familiar with this?

Not real familiar as I help out with more of the mid to higher end units but it is a basic dual beam sonar unit with a 128 vertical pixel count monochrome (black and white) display.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

If you can swing it, check out the Side Imaging units.

Latest posts

Back