Hey Smitty....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
How's the knee??? You back to work yet?? I haven't been speeding thru Troy lately to find out!!..LOL

Hope all is well with you and you had a nice holiday...drop a line or give me a call sometime...;)

Mac

Hello all..........and Mac..(lol).

I returned to road patrol at the beginning of November after a month off for knee surgery. Knee is/was doing well, though it does get a little sore when I try to overdo it. On December 4th (about 4 weeks after returning to work), I injured my back during an "incident" at work and was off for another month. I just returned to work "lite duty" this past tuesday. I get to man the walk up desk in the P.D., go to physical therapy and hope my back heals up.

MRI confirmed that I have a bulging disc in my thoracic spine, which is impinging the nerves leading to my abdominal muscle as well as my diapghram. The pain isnt so bad, but I can't take deep breaths and for the most part, my abdominal muscles remain "flexed" pretty much 24/7. The doc's are approaching it conservatively, thinking that P.T. will solve the issue...we will see.

For the time being, I am warm and cozy working inside the P.D., pushing paperwork around and entertaining the general public from behind a wall of kevlar and 2 inch plexiglass..!

Well that bites!!...I can't even come in and pitch a jig at your nose with 2" of plexiglass protecting you!! You take ALL the fun out of EVERYTHING!! :eek::blink:

Glad you're back to work.......now..after your neck is healed...you're gonna have 6pack abs and STILL have to cover them with Kevlar...there's just NO justice!!! HAA!!

Thanks Guys...It aint my neck Mac..! It's my back...right in the center. Feels like a hot knife is getting plunged right into the center of my back if I turn/bend/twist/push/pull/breath/fart/burp/cough/sneeze..and a few other things I won't mention here(it's a family sight..lol)...basically, I need to remain manican or wax figure like to feel completely pain free.

As far as the "6 pack" goes...I started replacing that with a keg beginning my first year of college...and have never looked back. It may be there, but its covered by an insulating blanket of me..!

Hey Smitty, I thought that once bulging, there was no going back? Do they expect the bulge to get less?

hope you get better soon man...back stuff like that blows.

Thanks Carlos..I'm not sure how that works, they are hoping that therapy "stabilizes" the area..whether that means the disc gradually gets set back into place or new muscle supports it better is unclear to me, we'll see. There's no telling how long or when the bulging started either..I may have just aggravated something that was already there...for all I know, pounding across St Clair may have started the process a long time ago. Wrestling, football, SWAT team, car crashes, drunken pratfalls...may have all been a contributing factor. I just hope it gets better with minimally invasive procedures. I've had several friends who had back surgeries, and the procedures and outcomes frighten me. We will see.

Smitty, got ya. On the good front, my dad had back surgery...the surgery fixed the chronic back problems he had, mashed, bulging, and missing disks. I am pretty sure that thought his back problems were mostly from the amtrack hit in Vietnam. End state was his back was fixed no big side effects or lasting issues; MS did win that battle though.

Agree with the outcomes of surgeries...that part is scary.

Hope everything gets better soon! I have a buldging butt that I can't seem to do anything about either! :p

Get well soon Smitty!

I know a similar feeling....had three pinched nerves (from a strong safety that liked to hit this linebacker in the back)....once mine shifts I cant breathe.

teri....well nevermind.

Mini, are you sure your pinched nerve is from that uncomfortable Yukon seat?!

Positive. Sitting in the yukon seat with seat heaters is like getting in a hot tub. Now about that ever growing....nevermind.

Latest posts

Back