Group buys on Luckycrafts, custom spinnerbaits and jigs.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I am discussing a group buy for Luckycraft jerkbaits and crankbaits and also spinnerbaits and jigs with the owner of Tournament Force tackle this weekend. Please keep in mind, these are not your avearge $2.99 Wal-Mart spinnerbaits or jigs. These are ALL custom built per each buyers specifications for serious anglers, but the price does not reflect it like many other custom bait mfrs! If you are interested, please sign up in the group buy section so I can have some numbers to run by him this weekend. Remember the bigger the number, the better I can probably do for everyone. Luckycrafts are normally $16-17 each, and he already has them listed at $14.99 each. If I can shave $2 of each, that's pretty good. If you have baits you want imitated, let me know. Also, some specialized terminal tackle will soon be available that will give you that "edge" to throw something the fish have not seen before. I'm out until Monday so have a good weekend all.

Rob and all...

These baits (some) got a nice write-up in the 2003 Tackle review of the Bassmasters mag.. I'd be interested

Rob,

Looks like I'll also be joining you on their pro staff. Talked to Mike this evening right after you did. Has some awesome products.

Rob L

REALITY CHECK!

I have fished for over 40 years.

I have fished in 25 states and 20 countries. I have fished in 5 oceans/seas and on 4 continents.

I spin-fish, bait cast and fly fish.

I have used every conceievable lure or fly and live baits too numerous to catalog.

I have pursued and caught more than 100 species of fish.

And I have come to one significant conclusion:

IN TERMS OF FISH CATCHING ABILITY, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PROPERLY CONSTRUCTED $3.99 LURE AND A $17.99 LURE.

PERIOD.

Successful fishing is the product of many factors, the least of which is the cost (and therefore proported effectiveness) of the lure.

The sucessful angler knows how to locate fish and through skillful presentation and finesse entice the quarry to strike his offering.

Simply put,the skilled angler fishing a $4.00 lure (or a homemade plastic worm)will outfish the average, less competent angler fishing the $18.00, "custom built" lure every time!

Two equally skilled anglers-one fishing the $4.00 lure and one fishing the $18.00 lure- will produce very similar if not identical results.

A fork is a fork. It gets the food from the plate to your mouth. The only difference between the stainless steel fork and the sterling silver fork is the price. They both get the food to your mouth with equal efficiency. And if you keep poking yourself in the eye it's not the fault of the fork...

Pama, some good points there,

However, I think there are some good points made also for this brand by the other posters.

First off, I have to confess I'm a crankbait junkie, also love froggin', and topwater/popper action, followed by spinners and jigs/plastics,etc. So I'll just keep my thoughts on what I use the most, crankbaits......

I'm the kid of guy that, say I'm going to buy a shallow runner, and I see one priced at $3.00 and one priced at $12.00 I confess I usually end up buying an assortment of 3 or 4 cheaper ones rather than that one expensive one. Now, my dad was always the opposite, he'd buy the more expensive brand when he was fishing.

I've found, more so over the last 5 years or so, that my "cheaper" ones are REALLY cheap, and I've had a few that the paint/finish came completely off after one weekend, and not from bangin' rocks or sandy bottom or anything either, maybe a bad batch, I dunno. (Not gonna name the brand name, but you can usually find 'em at Kmart or Wallyworld) I've had cheaper ones also right out of the box run about as far crooked as you'd ever seen, and had treble hooks ruined after just one fish. So I think there's probably something to be said about better building materials on the pricier ones. Finally, I end up throwing out 3 or 4 of my bargain crankbaits at the end of each season, and my dad's crankbaits he's given me over the years, the expensive ones? Well, let's say I have some that are over 30 years old, still look like new, work like new, and still catch an occasional hybrid striper on 'em. So I guess it comes down maybe to rather than price, is how the fisherman feels about what's tied to his line, if he's confident in his lure. Personally, I think I'll go in on the group buy on this, and maybe get a few that'll hold up over time and be the "expensive" ones I pass on to my sons when the day comes. And if they don't hold up any better over time than my cheaper brands, then I've learned a lesson I guess.....

Hey you all, HAPPY TURKEY DAY!! egMike

Pama and Mike,

Both of you guys make great some great points. I personally have never owned or fished with a Lucky Craft. I typically fish Rapala exclucively and I've caught plenty of fish. On that note I have to agree with Pama. I can also relate to hooks rusting after one year, chipped paint and lures not running true. So I agree with Mike on the quality.

The "idea" that lucky craft will put MORE fish in the boat has not been enough to make me spend that kind of money. However, I have never even thought of the quality issue before so Mike makes a strong point there.

Here's what I'll do Rob; I'll go over to the fishing department and check out the lucky crafts. If the quality is there then I'll sign up.

Marke

The simple fact is that no matter what you are using, something else is going to catch them better. I have been out when the fish WOULD NOT touch (follow yes, eat no) another jerkbait other than a Lucky Craft. (and believe me, I have 9 Plano 3700 boxes FULL of jerkbaits from every major manufacturer, yes I catch alot of fish on jerkbaits). I have also been out when they would not eat any other bait than an XPS jerkbait (LEM12S). I think I actually do better on the XPS bait on St. Clair, but the Lucky Craft bait is impressive. If you can afford them, you will catch fish on them. If not, get the XPS baits.....

1999 Biggest smallie, 6.45 on an XPS Lazer Eye Minnow LEM12S(suspending), Chrome Black/Back

2001 Biggest smallie, 6.6 on a Lucky Craft Pointer 100, Blue Aroura....

2002 Biggest smallie, 6.75 on an XPS Lazer Eye Minnow LEM12S (suspending), Copper Shad

All three fish were caught prefishing...in the same area, off the same weed bed, which will remain a secret....lol. I do have Pat Verbeek as a witness to the 99 fish.

Do I think you need to spend 17 bux for a bait? No.....unless that is what it takes to catch em. Ninety percent of the baits you have with you while fishing are for defensive purposes. If the guy in the back of the boat, or in the next boat away is slaughtering them on a certain bait you better have it. If you dont have it, you will pay alot more than retail!

Everyone has confidence baits....I do too....about 7 or 8 for my local waters. Do I throw anything else? Of course, cause I dont "only" fish local waters. Do I catch more fish on my confidence baits? Overall yes, unless its a real regional thing that the fish are "keyed" into.

Mini

The biggest fish-catching factor is the person holding the rod. If you don't present the lure properly, it isn't going to catch fish no matter how hungry they may be or what you paid for it.

I've never had luck with jigs..... 99 cents or 5 buxs..... Big ones with rattles for bass or tied on a #16 hook for trout..... I just simply have never gotten the hang of how to fish them even though I always try.

I have had lots of luck with spinnerbaits. Whether they be $1.49 Rooster Tails or $7.99 Terminators. As long as they run true, I can catch fish!

The final determination is You. What do you feel comfortable fishing? What matches your style best? What can you afford to loose in the brush?

Finally:

Who the hell cares whether the OTHER GUY spends $1.19 for a jerkbait from the bargain box or $17 for a LuckyCraft?

Life is too short to worry about such trivial matters.

me!

you mean you are supposed to catch fish when you go fishing???? I thought it was just to donate lures ;-)

Carlos

For the past few hours, I've been thinking about what I posted above..... I wanted to say something but didn't know quite how to say it diplomatically..... So, I'm just gonna say it.....

Lucky Craft sells expensive baits.

There are those who believe they are worth every penny.

Rob is putting out the effort to make them available at a discount to those who want them.

I consider it to be a slap in Rob's face that there would be a post in the same set of threads that would attempt to discredit their value.

me

Another thing I hadn't thought of would be the fact that on the lakes I fish, I bet those fish have never seen a Lucky Craft, or have seen VERY few, which would I think be an advantage for a while.

Anyhow, like I said in my earlier post, I'm in for a couple Rob, and whether people want them, don't want them, like them, don't like them, I'm just glad there's people here that'd stick their neck out there and give us chances to go in on these group buys, so thanks, Rob, please let me know what I need to do once it comes down to it, to get in for a couple crankers. egMike---p.s.- Marke, I also love Rapalas, they aren't the brand I was knocking in my earlier post.

Hey Rob,

I just signed up for the group buy. I can get 15% off with my employee discount but I'll wait to buy them from you if you can get the sponsorship. Oh, and I want the one that Mini uses...LOL

Thanks buddy,

Marke

Don't have any luckycraft baits, as I feel that I still need to be more consistent and better before spending that type of money on baits. I know that I have some in my local club that absoultely swear by them - period.

If I have the opportunity of getting one or two through a group buy (thanks in advance for the effort Rob), then I'll take a flyer and try one or two.

Just purchased several Lurh Jensen's (probably spelled it wrong), which are a little more expensive, but not in the $15.00 range. Haven't used them much yet, and haven't gotten a bite/fish either.

Tex

One quick comment. If quality doesn't matter and a $3.00 bait performs as well as a $10-20 one, I want to know what you are throwing them with. A snoopy rod is only $8.99 and let's face it, all it does is reel in the fish. Get my point?

Cheap bait problems.....finish comes off, bad hooks, rusted hooks, hooks breaking off, crankbait bills breaking off, lure action, spinnerbait wire bending and breaking, blades tarnishing and rusting as well as all of the hook problems and add to that skirt problems, breaking off, gumming up, plastics have their own problems, losing color, dissolving after 10 min. in the water. Yamamoto is making a lot of $$$ on plastics that can be purchased for a lot less. But they produce...

Bottom line, confidence can make a cheap bait perform. Top end baits GIVE confidence.

TOXIC

Confidence is EARNED by attracting and catching fish....at least in my book.

Mini- I agree, but you have to have confidence in the bait BEFORE you throw it (is this a chicken/egg question?). I never believed the mumbo-jumbo behind the mental part of fishing (including confidence) until this year. I started noticing that when I didn't have confidence in my bait...whatever it was, I could not catch fish on it. So, if my confidence baits are $20.00....so be it. I just haven't found any cheapo's that I have confidence in.

TOXIC

Tox, your comment is a contradiction in terms. You cannot have confidence in a bait UNTIL you throw it and catch fish with it. PAMA, I consider myself VERY adept with a jerkbait and have fished $4 Rogues and $5 Huskyjerks. I used to think exactly the same way you did, until I sat behind Mickey Bruce who caught 2 fish to my 1 with a lucky craft. I was on fish, but he was on them more. I changed my retrieve and cadence and depth and color all to match his exactly. Still he out fished me. So I said, OK let me try one of these fancy schmancy baits of yours Mickey. He gave me one and BANG 1 for 1 with him the rest of the day and I was in the back of the boat. Like Mini said, I have had days where they will not touch another bait but the luckycraft. I don't know why and really don't care. Just happy I figured it out. During the Everstart, those fish would clobber my luckycraft but wouldn't have anything to do with different baits. You can ask Buzz too, same thing a few weeks later in the NBS tourney. Just the way it is. To each his own, but when I have an entry fee on the line and a potentially big paycheck as well, a $15 bait is nothing. It's a business investment. I suppose I look at my fishing differently than a lot of folks. To me it IS a business and worthy of investment if I intend for it to pay dividends and support my family. And as for the post about catching them on a snoopy pole.....quality is everything in a rod. Take an ugly stick (sorry Bob LOL) and fish a finesse bite along side me with an allstar or high end shimano etc, I will feel twice the bites or more that you can feel with an ugly stick thus catching more fish. IMHO, you get what you pay for and that also applies to fishing gear. Just my .02

What I meant Rob was that if I throw a cheap bait that I do not have confidence in, it more than likely won't produce. So it's not worth the $$ savings. I agree, I've tossed Yamamoto and seen the difference.

TOXIC

What I meant was I dont have confidence in any lure I throw until I catch fish on it. I do throw ALOT of lures that I dont have confidence in while practicing, field testing, experimenting, or fun fishing. I switch lures often while doing this.....I let the baits and the fish tell me what they want or what works.

This builds my confidence to use it in a money situation.

Mini

Rob, guys, I don't fish competitively like some of you, (unless you count wanting to outfish my neighbor or who ever I take out that day), but I'll stand by what I said earlier about the cheaper crankbaits , details:paint peeling right off, leaving me a see thru ,clear crankbait, constantly having to re-tune 'em to run true, hooks being straightened out by a 2 lb fish, etc. Anyway Rob, I know you didn't mean for this thread to end up as a discussion on cheaper vs more expensive, etc. But in a way I'm kind of glad it did, I always learn alot from all of you and this thread was no exception. I'm in for a couple crankbaits on this one, and hey, everybody have a great day, I get to go shovel snow before work. egMike

Latest posts

Back