Greg D ..Winnisquam....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
Hey Greg....I just got back from my short trip to Winnipesauke and 1/2 day down on Winnisquam.

First thing I have to do is really Thank You for the info you shared with me and my fishing partner. I never fished beds before, or even had a clue where to find them

on that lake. You really got us on the right track to getting some very nice fish quickly.

Your help gave us one of our better days of fishing!!!! :)

Sorry we didn't run into you later to say thanks in person.

For a first time, and only half a day to fish, we managed over a dozen beautifil fish.

Wished we could have stayed longer.

Mike L.

mikewinni.jpg

raywinni.jpg

and the boyz were throwin Senko's by the looks of it!! Wacky rigged with the bands!! Ya know, there is a better hook than the ones you are using. :pWay to go!!

TOXIC

Nice looking fish fellas!!:cool: and it looks like it was a beautiful day too..

Tox, I can see what they were probably using but how in the heck can you see what hook was being used???:huh:

Uncle Billy

how in the heck can you see what hook was being used???

Uncle Billy,

It's plain to see that the reverse optimal bend set forth in the forging of those hooks brings out a slight browning in the coating, setting forth a... Awww heck! I don't know either! Just making stuff up tonight! :lol:

I think Tox uses the Gami's with the wire gaurd that he gave to me. Looks kinda like a circle hook with a wire weed guard. I never could get used to them.

I fish all my wacky rigged Senko's with a 1/0 Mustad Ultra Point Denny Brauer Flippin Hook. It's a straight shanked hook, not a wide gap or anything of that sort. The ones that they are using in the above pictures are not straight shanked - you can see the little bend right behind the line tie, and that gives it away. They are using a wide-gap hook of some sort - and as you can see - it worked for them... but it doesn't work that well for me. I do much better on the straight shanked hook. I only use the wide gap type hooks for Texas and Carolina rigging, but never wacky rigging... just not my personal preference.

... Like I said though "it worked for them", and that's probably all that's really important! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Mike,

it was nice to catch up with someone from this board, i am glad to help any time you find your self up this way.

i did look for you and your partner for most of the day, i was looking to check in to see how you were doing. we stayed till 4:00 and boated close to 40 fish, most in the 3lb range. a couple were 4+. it was a great day on the water and the fish were cooperating.

if you head back up north, drop me a line..

GregD

Thanks Greg, will do. I've got a couple of Ontario trips coming up, but I will definately head back to NH again. It was beautiful up there!

Hey Tox..I was using Bass Pro XPS offset Super Lock Worm Hooks for the past year or two after trying a few different kinds. The o-ring saves a small fortune in Senko's and works well.

What kind of hook would you recommend?

Mike L - real nice. I am planning on skipping my next tourney to go up on the weekend. Hope to see some of the rest of you there. Bill, the MadKayaker

Hi guys,

Sorry we did not run into you guys last week. We decided to go to Newfound instead of Winnisquam last Friday. Here is my summary from a previous message ...

I was at Newfound yesterday (Fri) and oh my!!!!!! We found a stretch of shoreline that had a good number of beds. Between the 2 of us we probably caught about 30 smallies. Biggest fish was a little over 4.5 lbs, average was a solid 3.5 lbs, and only 3 or 4 were less than 3 lbs (barely). An amazing day catching smallmouth like that. They were not spawning everywhere. We were lucky enough to find that stretch of beds which we fished for a good portion of the day. A lot of other areas we tried, there were none to be found.

Paul

Hi Everyone -

Nice fish... So far this year I haven't had a chance to get to either Newfound or Winnisquam. Looks like the smallies are hitting. Does anyone want to share some of the shoreline areas you were fishing? I am taking a day off early next week and was thinking of hitting Wentworth but after seeing and reading the results from Newfound and Winnisquam, I will now hit one of these lakes.... I appreciate any tips or suggestions...

Also, what were you seeing for water temp?

Thanks - Dan

Dan,

If you go to Winnisquam just head up to the three islands to the north. You will be all set for the day.....

Thanks Jim.... I have fished that area before and had good luck....Looking forward to getting back out there...

Dan

Hi Dan

We found some nice beds on the far east shore that runs along route 3A. We found them from the point below Favor Rd going south into that bay.

Good luck

Paul

Dan,

if you are goin to launch from the old martells site. follow channel to main lake.run out to the end of the cove. when you get to the end, fish the right hand shore line all the way back down to the untill you reach the white boat house.

if you don't get a boat full of fish there, then just pick another rocky shore line anywere else on the lake.

GregD

Paul and Greg - I will be launching from the old Martell site....

Thank you so much for the hot spots....Looking forward to getting out....

Dan

Latest posts

Back