GPS/Find finder install questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I really want to get my boat the way I want it by next weekend. Debating taking it to the dealer to have the GPS units swapped out but don't want to pay for it. I am wondering if it's just an easy swap or if I have to run any wires. That will make my decision I think.

Here is what I have now:

In the dash...Lowrance LMS 480, antenna is Lowrance 2000

On the front deck...Lowrance X52

What I have in my garage:

Lowrance 520C, antenna is Lowrance 3000

Eagle 502C

I think I should put the 520C in the dash and the 502C up front but the transducer for the 502C went with my old boat so I would have to buy one.

My questions:

1) Can I use the same wires that are already there, like would it just be a plug and play?

2) Can I simply use all the wires that are there and take off the Lowrance 2000 antenna and replace it with the Lowrance 3000 antenna or do I need to use the wire that came with the 3000?

3) Does the transducer from the LMS 480 thats glassed in work for the 520C?

4) Can I use the power wire from the X52 and plug it in the Eagle 502C?

I guess I would just like to know in general how do I know if everything is compatible? If the power plug fits in the unit can I assume it will work fine.

The LMS 480 doesnt have a temp reading but the X52 does. Would I need to run something to get the temp to work in the dash.

Any advice would be great.

For the dash the power and transducer should be a plug and play deal. The GPS puck will not be. The 480 uses the blue style nema 2000 network the 520c uses the red style network. You cna get adapters but in my opinion you would be better off running the stuff that came with the 520c. As far as the temp goes you cna get a TS-1BL temp sensor and put it in, that will give you temp without having to mess with the transducer.

As far as the fornt goes from what i can see on Lowrances site the power cable is different between the x52 and the eagle you have. It whoudl be easy enough to just swap in the correct one.

Thanks Jim. I am going to take a look this week since it stays lighter out now and see what I can figure out. Sounds like the 520 swap with the 480 should be simple. Would the x52 cables work with the LMS 480? I could put that up front instead of the 502C. I dont have the tranducer for that either. It came with the boat. I have the transducer from the X52.

Another question, do I have to install a 2nd antenna for the LMS 480. Like would have to move that antenna up front. Surely not. I think the 502C has an internal.

One more question, do I have to buy the map card for both units or can I sync the units somehow. I only have one map card right now.

Would you recomment me trying the installs or just having someone do it?

From what i can se ethe power cable is the same for the 480 and the x52. you would have to connect the nema power cable to make the gps part work. Also from what i can see the transducer is the same too. You could also network the two units togehter so they share the GPS puck, if you dont network them you would need the second puck to run the 480's gps. You would need some adapters and network cables to do it. As far as the maps go if you are using sometihng like navionics you would need two cards and there is no way around it.

The units should not be that hard to install especially since you do0nt need to do anythigng transducer wise.

Teri,

The internal antenna on the 520c DOES NOT work well at all with a flush mount....use an external.

Use 2 antenna's, don't share the same.....

Connectors need adaptors from red to blue, and make sure you use terminal plugs on the ends of the nema system.

Call me on my cell or call Mini....we can explain it better.

If you don't have my cell, have Mac or Mini text it to you.

Ken,

The 520C doesn't have an internal antenna. Her Eagle 502C does, and that is why I recommended putting that one up front, and putting the 520C in the dash, along with the associated LGC-3000 puck antenna connected to the 520C.

The LMS-520C actually uses an updated power cable - the PC-27BL. The LMS-480 (and X-52)uses the PC-26BL. If memory serves correctly, yes - you can plug and play. I'm pretty sure I've done it before as I moved from a LMS-480 (26) to a LMS-332C (26) to a LMS-520C (27) and eventually a LCX-28C HD (27). Just wanted to point out that the cable assembly is technically not the same. If it were me, and the 520C came with the correct PC-27BL, I'd install that and sell the PC-26BL with the LMS-480. Otherwise, the "correct" cable for the 520C will be sold off with the older LMS-480.

All the best,

Glenn

I looked at all this last night. I think the 520C will swap out nicely with the LMS 480. I will also swap the antenna from the 2000 to the 3000.

I ordered the MKR US9 cable to work with the universal sonar up front for the 502C; however, the power cable doesn't look to be the same so I am going to try to order one of those. Both the outlets on the back of the unit are different than the Lowrance 520 or 480. I think either of those would have worked up front. I am hoping the adapter I ordered takes care of one and the power cord will take care of the other.

I will be glad when this is done.

Glenn,

I transposed....I meant the 502c...and I agree with putting it on front

Ken,

I figured that is what you meant, but just wanted to make sure. :p

All the best,

Glenn

I have the 520c installed and working. Fairly simple, glad I didn't pay someone to do that. Thanks guys.

I broke one of the pins from the splitter when I unscrewed the original antenna. So, when I installed the L3000 antenna I used the cord that came with it and ran it directly into the unit. The splitter wouldn't have worked with this unit anyway. Plugs aren't the same size. Why does Lowrance make everything different??

Question....what is the purpose of the splitter? To run 2 GPS units off the same antenna?

Not sure what I am going to do upfront because neither receiver plug in the Eagle 502c unit works with what I have.

Can I use the L3000 antenna by the dash, put in a splitter, and run it up front and use that antenna (instead of the L2000) to run the LMS 480 unit?

Teri,

Are you talking about the "T" when you say "splitter"? If so, you need to look at your manual (or this diagram) before powering that unit up again. You need to have the T connector and the terminator attached.

All the best,

Glenn

P.S. - this is what Ken was talking about above when he posted:

...make sure you use terminal plugs on the ends of the nema system

VERY important that you do this!!!
http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Manuals/N2K-T-conn-wrn_0154-971_052307.pdf

Yes, I am referring to the T. I bought this unit from someone on this board...can't even remember who (could look it up but it doesn't matter). It was opened but "new". This unit does not have a T connector and extension cable included. The Lowrance 2000 antenna must be a different size because even if I hadnt broke off one of the pins, it still wouldnt have worked. Different size.

I got out the books that came with it (novel idea). It shows a 120 ohm In-Line Terminator Cable with 2 female ends. Says each end has a built-in 120 ohm terminator. The diagram shows one end plugging into the GPS puck and one end being plugged directly into the back of the GPS unit. I have it connected exactly like the diagram.

Are you saying this wrong?

Seems like the docs say I only need the T if I am connecting (networking) to another unit, like the one up front. Am I missing something? and why wouldn't the T connector I have now fit the 520c. It was used on my LMS 480.

No - you have it right if you have the inline 120 ohm terminator cable. For some reason, Lowrance shipped some units with the inline terminator cables, and others with the individual terminators that you have to connect as per the diagram I noted. I have one of each on my boat. Since you mentioned already having the T connector, I assumed you didn't have the 120 ohm terminator cable.

The T connector you probably have is for the blue network. LMS480's were blue network machines. They switched to the red network due to the cabling system being better, so the two will not connect without the adapters that people mentioned (blue to red adapters).

Sorry - Trying my best to understand exactly what you have. It's harder to diagnose / troubleshoot / install over the computer than it is in person where I could see everything. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Glen, dont be sorry! You are helping me ALOT !!! This web site and you are saving me money but not paying someone to do this. I am sure my non-technical terms describing things are not very helpful. It is kind of cool actually for me to understand how all this stuff is connected. Never bothered to look.

Glenn is a master when it comes to lowrance....now if I could talk him into flying up here and hook up my humminbirds!!!

Latest posts

Back