Got my first Lake Anna bass!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Took the family down to Lake Anna again. Got in the water late at around 11am and just went down below the Route 208 bridge to the islands across from one of the power plants. After lunch, I was throwing in a white mini-tube on a micro-jighead trying to hook a sunny to show my son who, at three years of age, loves to see the little fish. I had no expectation or even thought of getting a real fish. As I was doing an erratic retrieve in about five feet of water, I felt a solid tug. Next thing I know, using my son's Zebco, no drag capable rod/reel, I haul in a 1.5 pound largemouth bass! Big enough that my son was too intimidated to touch it! Pretty cool in that its the first bass I've ever caught at Lake Anna! Also, a lot healthier looking than the bass I've pulled out of the Potomac river - no sores, mouth holes, or ragged fins - just a beautiful specimen. I wish I had my camera!

Next week (Saturday), my neighbor and I are going to head down REALLY early and do a day of fishing - just the guys (sans family). Anybody got suggestions or, better yet, want to hook up?

Jim

EXCELLENT, now, enjoy it; it could be a LONG time 'till you see another !!

Jim, Congrats on the bass. Try fishing around the dikes with Senkos. I have been going out early and after dinner and been killing them. Throw right up next to the dike (rip rap) and let it fall. Generally they have been hitting on the first or second fall. Nothing huge, but a lot of fun. Took over 40 in about 2 hours one evening off of dike 2 on the cold side. Water temp on the hot side is over 100 degrees. Even too hot to swim in it, although we took a nephew and some friends out yesterday afternoon.

Good luck.

Bill in VA

Thanks guys. Bill - any suggestion on Senko colors? I've used green pumpkin with chartruese tails on the Potomac and done alright. I also have white ones in my plastics bag. Also, suggestions on rigging? Texas? Carolina? Wacky?

Jim - I went through a pot-full of 4 & 5 inchers. Green Pumpkin color was hot as well as the brown. White never seemed to excite them lately, but have in the past. I fish them with only a 2/0 or 3/0 hook (texas w/o the bullet weight). Even caught two large bluegills on the Senko.

Off of dike 2 you get into about 18-40 feet of water out about 15 yards so you might want to try drop shotting as well.

Good luck and let me know how you do!

Bill in VA

Latest posts

Back