Gas Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
I filled up my truck today at Fleet Farm. They have some new options for gas and I need some advice. One option is the old 87 Octane with 10% Ethenol. We've all heard about Ethenol and it's evils. They now have an option for 89 Octane without Ethenol. The third is premium 91 (I think) without Ethenol.

My question is....should I be running the 87 with 10% given some posts I've read about not running higher than 87 octane OR would I be better off with the 89 that doesn't contain Ethenol?

Thanks all!

I would get the 89 if its truly ethanol free. I don't think 2 points of octane would cause issues like a 6 point increase could and regardless id think that the ethanol would be the worst of the evils.

If it was my boat i would get an ethanol test kit and test that 89 fuel and make sure it has no ethanol in it(don't take their word for it) and if its ethanol free run it. I would also run Merc quickkleen in every tank and use a quality oil. I doubt you would have any issues with that combo.

Im sure Bob B will chime in and he is the authority on these matters but i knowing Bob like i do i have a feeling that he will agree with me.

If I could get 89 ethanol free, I would run it in everything I own.

BF

The other side of the coin is that if you ever travel, you will probably not find ethanol-free gas.

I get ethanol free gas in Tenn. I think some of the Citgo stations in the south have it...at least the one I go to does;)

Here in Iowa at most gas stations 87 octane is regular non ethanol, ethanol blend is 89 and super unleaded ethanol is 91. I guess it seems a little odd to me that regular is 89 and ethanol is 87 when the ethanol is in essence an octane booster.

So, to summarize, you won't have any problems if you gas up in TN, ILL or IA. I recommend IA as it is closest to your North Dakota location.

If for your outboard read your manual first!

If your manual says use 87 then don't put in 89 even if you can get ethanol free. Running 89 in motors not designed to run it is going to cost you in repair bills.

Just called my local Merc. dealer this week and he said use 87 octane in Merc......but I can get ethenol free gas close by my home ( but think I will test it next time....)

My owners manual,for my 2011 150 XS,says minimum 87 octane,max.92 octane,use ethenol free gas if possible,if you must use ethenol gas,no more than 10%ethenol is recommended. my personal experience with ethenol gas is this,use a good fuel additive,dont let the ethenol fuel lay around in your tank for periods of time,and the hotter the weather,or climate,the faster the ethenol fuel will seperate and deterorate,and totally screw up your motor

Latest posts

Back