Ford F-150 owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well, I think I finally am on the last legs with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have had it for almost 10 years and never had a major problem driving it or towing until this past weekend. Looks like my transmission is almost shot after close to 150,000 miles and I am looking to get a new vehicle.

I was originally going to look at the Ford F-250 Diesel but everyone keeps telling me the F-150 would be more than enough to tow my boat. I am hoping that my Jeep can hold out until the new 2011 F-150's with the new V8's come out but wanted to find out if anyone who owns a F-150 and tows has any comments on the vehicle. Any feedback including the engine, the style F-150 you have (I'm thinking the lariat or platinum) and how long you have owned the truck and how long you have been towing with it would be appreciated. I know there are other great vehicles out there but I would really like to hear from anyone with F-150's.

Thanks! Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

A 150 would be more then enough to tow any bass boat out there. As far as engines go get the 5.4, just like when you buy a boat you will never ever regret more power. That motor and a set of 3.73 gears and you will be all set for no worries towing.

I cant comment on the 150 specifically since i don't own one. I'm a gm guy, a 150 would be my third choice behind a Chevy or GMC. I know guys that do and like them.

I own a 2005 Lariat with the 5.4 and I love it, I lust over this truck. The truck has more than enough balls to tow any bass boat and gets fairly decent mileage -- around 18 highway(I have gotten 22 once)and about 9 in the city, I do gun my truck though. I would highly recommend the Lariat over models below it, just a completely different truck inside. The only con that I have about the truck is that the 04 and 05 models sometimes have a noise fan belt, mine actually sounds like a diesel. Nothing is wrong with the truck physically however.

CHRIS CAS

Good morning Bill. I own a 2001 Nitro 750DC with a Merc 90. I have been pulling it since 2004 with a FISO XLT SuperCrew with the 5.4 V-8. I have absolutely no problems pulling my boat whatsoever throughout Kansas and Missouri [terrain context for you]. I have been known occasionally to drive about 80 MPH coming back from some distant lakes and quite frankly, with the boat so unnoticeable that I've "jumped" when I glance back and see the boat in the rear view - :lol::lol:. Trailer can disappear a little bit when backing in empty, but really nothing to worry about; I put and take my boat alone with no issues. Big question for you I'm sure -- I get 19 MPG without boat and it drops to about 17 with it at high speed travel [like 75/80 MPH]. I got a beauty when I bought this truck--iron workers must have been highly motivated and extremely sober when they built this baby. Happy motoring! v/r Marty

If you have the luxury of going out and getting what you want, GET WHAT YOU WANT!!:lol: Don't settle for a truck "close" to what you want. I would say get the top trim package of any brand when buying used. I would require the 4 door club/crew or what ever they call that cab. 4X4 is a must up where you live with the snow and launching on gravel. Bed cover and liner is something you can have done but it is always nice to get it up-front. Just for kicks, go look at incentives for new trucks, you might be suprized!! If you buy from a dealer have them throw in the extended warranty as well no matter new or used.

TOXIC

Thanks for the quick reply guys!! I definitely was thinking the Lariat or Platinum for the interior features - especially the rearview camera that comes with the Platinum package. They are coming out with completely new engines for 2011 that are supposed to be really good and was going to go with the V8 equivalent of the 5.0 V8 replacement for the 5.4 or the 6.2 v8 if they have that when the 2011's hit the market and I am ready to buy. They have this new EcoBoost 3.5 v6 they are saying is the true replacement for the 5.4 v8 but I just am not an engine guy and would rather get the v8.

You all provided the exact kind of information I am looking for. I shut down trailering for the rest of the season and am hoping my jeep will keep going as a passenger vehicle until the 2011's are here and the dealers offer their big winter discounts ...

Thanks again, Bill the MadKayaker

Bill, I have a 2002 F-150 XLT with the 4.7 liter engine and I tow a 2002 750SC Nitro with the 75hp motor. The truck has the towing package. I have no problems pulling the boat where I need to go. I only have 64,000 miles and she is still brand new. No major repairs to date, just the normal wear and tear items. I highly recommend the Ford F-150 to anyone for normal towing needs. The Lariat and the Platinum are beautiful trucks. My XLT has everything I need in a truck. I've taken long trips to Las Vegas and Orlando and have no problems. I really feel that the Ford F-150 will be your best bet.

Barry:)

Bill,

I own a 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew. I absolutly love this truck.I have the 5.4l v8. This truck tows my 882 and my 23 foot 4place snowmobile trailer with ease. Towing I average 15mpg and 20mpg not towing with cruise set at 68/70mph.

The Platinum package is quite the upgrade over my XLT, the leather finish is very nice and back up camera would be very nice to have.

I use this truck for work and pleasure, there is ample room in the cabin for my family of 4. The storage space in the rear seat area with the seats up and lack of a hump on the floor is huge! They advertise this space with a full size dog crate in the F150 catalog.

I feel this is the best truck I have owned to date and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

For the record, I had a 2006 silverado for 3yrs and 90k miles. I could not wait to get out of that truck and will be hard pressed to purchase another one.

6eel free to call me if you have any questions.

GregD

LOL Greg. Im about to roll 100k on my 06 Silverado and i want to keep it another 100k... I honestly could not be happier with my truck than i am.

Bill, If your bored and want to go fishing this weekend let me know. I may have some free time on Sat, we could hit one of my honey holes in NH.

Jim,

ask 3 people what there favorite is and you'll get three differant answers.there are plenty of people who love there chevy trucks. It just didn't do it for me.

I am fishing Saturday for sure. Where are you going and what time? Ill meet you guys anywhere you want.

GregD

Hey Jim - I'd love to go if I could get a ride! I am going to my club meeting on Thursday and backing out of the tourney on Saturday since i can't trailer my boat and was bumming about it. I was just pulling out the flyrod and thinking of heading back out to San Diego to go Shark Fishing on the fly thinking that this was the only fishing I was going to have the remainder of the year.

Let me know what you are thinking. It would also be good to see GregD as well.

Bill, the MadKayaker

I have a 2004 F150 FX4 Supercab w/ 5.4 liter gas engine. I tow a 2000 Nitro 901 with it with no problems at all. I got the truck a little over a year ago and I am very happy with it.

RoyC

Hi Bill,

I have a 2010 F-150 super crew 4X4 with the 5.4L & 3.55 gears. Unless your towing a house you dont need them. I tow a Key West Bay Reef 196 around with it NP. The F-150 now has a six speed transmission that compensates for the gearing. This way you can tow and get decent gas mileage (not while towing) It also has a tow mode.

I like it!!!

Bill,

I would be up for going anywhere really. I was thinking litle sunapee but im not against anything at this point. Give me a call and lets figure it out.

Keep me in the loop. i have the same guy fishing with me this Saturday as i did at Newfound. I don't have plans to fish anything specific at this point. So ill meet you guys at any ramp.

GregD

I hope to get another year (I want a 2012 F-150) on my 2001 F-150 4X4 (Off Road) Crew Cab. She has 197,000 and my mechanic says no worries. It is the 5.4 w/ 3.55 axle. If any new truck is going to be as reliable as this one I will be thrilled. Until this year I have never replaced anything except an alternator. This summer, I replaced 4 coil packs. Other than those and the alternator it has been routine maintenance, tires, brakes, transmission fluid flushes and one "adjustment", batteries, oil changes, tuneups (2 - one at 97,000 and the other at 186,000), oh yeah and new shocks on all four corners last fall. She tows my 19' dep V Tracker like it was not there and I have on the flat earth in central Illinois gotten 15 mpg towing! Usually about 10-12 mpg with hills to Minnesota/Canada border or Northern Wisconsin.

Admittedly, I am a Ford Man from way back. But, I have/had four Dodges (for business, a '95, 98, 2007 Dakotas and a 96 Ram. The 95 got totalled sitting in front of my house!) as well (and my son and I agree that this has been the best truck we have ever owned). The F-150 replaced the Ram.

Bill,

I have a 2005 F150 XLT Supercab FX4 with 100,000 miles and tow and 18.5 Skeeter like it's not even there. I echo all the previous comments about dependability and all that, but something you might want to check on with the new rigs that nobody has mentioned is the TSB out on the 5.4 Triton engines. The spark plugs tend to sieze in the engine and they have to use a special extractor to get them out when they break. Had my plugs replaced about 5 months ago and it cost me $495.00 since three of them broke off. My dealership wanted the truck overnight so they can "soak" the plugs before trying to remove them. All in all, I'm a Ford man, only had one Chebby and it drove me straight into the poor house with constant repairs.....maybe I just had a lemon, but it was an expensive one. I am anal about maintenance so it was not due to a lack of TLC. Anyway, good luck!

JP

We have a 04 F150 XLT supercab 5.4 liter and tow package and tow a 24 foot travel trailer with it without even thinking about it being back there so your boat is no issue. We had the spray in liner sprayed in within an hour after driving it out of the showroom new and I won't have another truck without it. We love the ride and roominess of the cab. I have been in the newer models and good God the amenities in them are outstanding. Camera rear view, using your cell phone over the radio speakers, platform running boards that go in and out when the doors open and close. Damn near isn't a truck but it reminds you it is when you ask it for power.

Wow - thanks for the input from everyone. Based on the input from you guys, input from my club, some internet digging and taking a test ride, I am going to probably get the 2011 F-150 in February (if my jeep can hold out). They replaced the engines from 2010 with all new ones. The only thing that would keep me from getting the 2011 is a very good offer on a 2010 I just can't pass up or I win the Powerball Lottery, move to Patagonia and go flyfishing full time.

JimB and GregD - I will send an email today. My club was really good. Just about everyone offered to take me on their boats and a few insisted on it so I would fish our tourney on Saturday and I am going to go ahead and fish that one but if you have Sunday open I am up for any NH water - Sunapee?

Thanks again everyone, Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

Good Sat with you club T.

I am not avail sunday. Next weekend looks good for Sunapee if you guys tot ry and hook up. Saturdays are best for me, willing to do Sunday if it works for everyone.

GregD

I have a tournament on Pawtuckaway next sat. Neither sunday works very well for me :(

Sorry! We will definitely figure a time in the next month for some fall smallmouth! Bill, the MadKayaker

Jim,

I'm heading to Webdter Lake in Franklin NH. Great large small mouth lake. If you never fished it you should put it on your list. Plan to be the ramp around 8ish.

Feel free to meet us there or follow.

GregD

Greg,

I think im going to head to L. Sunapee. My buddy that im fishing with and i decided to head there, we know they will be on there.

I have heard good things about webster, i need to try it for sure.

Jim,

good luck, never fished lttle Sunapee> maybe we can all catch up one more time before the season ends.

GregD

i have an o2 f150 with a 4.6 and it bulls my boat fine. i use it to pull my buddy's 96 blazer 19ft with a 200 and no problems what so ever...

Latest posts

Back