? for Bob.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Clayton

Reaction score
re: Impeller question for Bob by Mike ClaytonMember Profile,3/12/2012 08:45 ET Click here to edit your message.

Is there a place where I can find a DIY for the thermostats ? I'm kinda like FisherJ, never changed my impeller, it's a 2005 2stroke 90 merc, always stored inside and original impeller and gas line ( all grey in color ) and no problems to date. I bought the impeller ( part # 47-43026T 2 ) last year along with 2 gaskets ( part # 27-817277 and 27-43033 ). I always change lower unit every year and check fluid in trimmer and use 2-4-C for moving parts, I guess I'm on borrowed time and should not rely on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Thanks

Bobs on vacation at Disney for a little while. Just didn't want you to think he wasn't answering. He will be back soon.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks TG, I can wait since water pump parts are still hanging on the wall......mainly want info about the thermostats and I think he would suggest I change mine..... did have a ? about torque of nuts on Impeller housing and outside nuts on lower housing....

Berry....thanks I have seen several but the ones I viewed only one talked about torque on the nuts and using silicone to seal out exhaust, I wanted to get Bob's thoughts and not much about thermostat for 90 hp merc....

Mine pees from start up to shut off...so that alone says there's not a stat on the 90.

Just changed my water pump on my 50 hp. Also changed the thermostat. I would think if a 50 had a stat a 90 would also.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/boatpartscheapflorida/the-195/Mercury-Outboard-Motor-Thermostat/Detail

No, no problems. The water pump went very smooth. I have done this on other outboards before so it was not that bad. There was a good video on YouTube that helped. The thermostat was also very easy. 4 bolts and a gasket. The entire job took about 30 minutes to do. I also replaced my gas line and primer bulb. They seemed in good shape but after five years I thought it might be good insurance.

looking from the rear it is on the upper left side of the engine block. it's mounted with 4 bolts and has a round boss protruding from it that accepts the thermostat.

Part number 31 shown on this link is your thermostat.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2018520&ivar=images/COMMON/15160.png&inbr=365&bnbr=90&bdesc=Cylinder+Block+and+Crankcase

Change the thermostat and poppet valve, as long as you are going to service the pump. Crucial for proper operating temps. ;)

Do I have the right parts to change my impeller....in my first post up top.....motor 1B185362 and where is the best place to find a thermostat and poppet and are they easy to change? Glad you are back and that you had a great time with your family at DW....

Those are the correct parts Mike. Poppet diaphram #64877 1 $5.90, Therm #14586 $24.92, gaskets, 27-43006 8 and 27-62386001, about $8.00. Easy access, top of cylinder head water jacket....;)

Sorry Bob but forgot to ask about torque on bolts lower unit and the ones that hold the impeller housing, on one of the you tube videos guy mentioned 40 ft lbs on outside bolts and 60 on housing ones....he also said to use silicon sealer to keep exhaust gases out?? Thanks Again for your help and I will order the parts you mentioned soon...any better site to order from than another?

Mike

any tips on installing poppet I'm not sure I know where that is.....front or back..... I do know where thermo is...

Latest posts

Back