Fish Fishburn is o longer with ESPN/BASS!

• Thread starter gone bye bye [URL]http://www.bassfan.com/news_arti
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you just love their negotiating techniques??

"Sign it or resign!"....what a crock of BS!! FLW Rules!!!

LOL

Thats too bad...he was good at it and i enjoyed watching him host the BASS tourneys.

Ever since Ray Scott left BASS, it has went down the tubes...

T.S.

I had some rather unpleasant personal dealing with him in 2000 at the Classic... He was an ... to another volunteer in my presence... But, ... what a world... I think ESPN engineered his departure... I suspect they wanted to move away from the "home-spun" to the more seaseoned broadcaster style...

Hey! I'm looking for a job. Where do I apply?

Fish Harpo

me!, too, Harpo.....

Maybe we could work out a deal with BASS - two for the price of one!

We'd make a GREAT team and for a fraction of the price they were paying Fish. Right?

They'll probably get Kathy Lee. I think she's available.

Harpo

Oh NO!

NOT Kathy Lee.....

You could do the Play-by-Play.....

I'll add the color!

Let's remember, that ESPN has a long successful run with promoting their products and shows. During that run, they have negotiated with many, many high profile atheletes. While many liked 'Fish', he would not be successful telling ESPN what to do - as evidenced by the goings on.

If you want to be a 'public' figure, you generally have to do it on their terms. Look at Jimmy Johnson and the Fox gig. He wanted to do it from Florida, as he had done on HBO previously. Fox said no, in studio and other work. Guess who won.

If you want the 'money', you have to dance to the tune.

Tex

Some may not have liked him, but I'll tell you what, He brought alot of fans to each event.. He missed one of the open events that I fished last year and I can tell you that the weigh-in was not as good or as exciting for the fans without him....I think they will regret this move...

Difference in the JJ thing is that Fish has been w/BASS as MC since Ray left. Not like he was just coming in or jumping ship.

I think its a big mistake, unless Ray has agreed to come back.

Mini

Heck I liked Fish better than Ray...what a HAM! I kinda' liked him and his stupid show he used to do years ago..not very informative but funny! They'll miss him..

TEE

I agree TEE, I am one of the few who really liked his show. I have a few on tape. He mixed ENTERTAINMENT in with the fishing. You had to watch closer but he did educate a lot. If they would have canned all of those crazy sound effects it would have been better. Let's not forget Fish (given name Claude) was a VERY good tournament fisherman. I saw his likeness on a cutout for Skeeter at the show. He'll be fine, probably will put out another show or something.

TOXIC

Dang right he's a good fishermen! he's just a big goof and a lot of fun...My best fishin' bud reminds me of em'! If ya' ain't catchin' nothin'...he'll have you rollin' outta' the boat. Lotsa fun...:)

My favorite episodes....

The outtakes of him trying to jump from the dock into a float tube...took him like 23 tries to get it.

He and his father fishing on top of the poles out in the lake.

Fishing the indoor lakes at Opryland.

Making a spinnerbait ot of a golfball, opening the bail, hitting it with a golfclub into a pond and catching a bass.

amd a bunch more...

TOXIC

Yeah I seen the one where they were fishin' from ladders..weren't they? Or the backwards cast and catchin' one...now that's cool. What a reatard LOL...but damfunny!:)

I liked his show in short spurts....the ladder one was my favorite along with the salt one...

Seeing him drive that pontoon was pretty funny too!

Mini

I also worked for the 2000 Classic here in Chicago. I was launching boats into Burnham Harbor. I have nothing against Fishburne, but I didn't really care for his personality. You know, some people just rub you the wrong way. But I do wish him well.

Jim,

I was doing the same thing in 2000 and heard him ridicule one of the volunteers launching in that "heck-hole"! About a foot of clearance on each side with those Rangers in tight quarters and a steep drop... And, Fishburne was mocking guys who had to take a couple of shots at the ramp... He was not funny... he was insulting... to the point of one guy getting out the truck at the ramp... yelling "if you think this is easy get down here and do it yourself... he walked off. Dewey grabbed me out of my truck and had me launch "that one" and then mine while he drove the first one back to the yard... A real ugly scene... I thought it was interesting... Dewey didn't want to try to back that bad boy down that ramp!

Latest posts

Back