Finally got to try dropshoting - very nice results

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
Went out w/ the familly to the loacl lake and brought only 2 setups. 1 for dropshotting and 1 for a spider jig. The goal was to learn some new techniques instead of the standard worm and senko routine.

2 people at the ramp told me that nothing was biting. So it looked like a few hours on the lake with the familly. Went to some good deep water rocks and grass beds to try some jigging. Not even a bite after 1/2 hour. These spots always produce. Picked up the drop shot rig and figured why not try it. It's supposed to work when there's no action or a slow bite. The rig is a 6' Bass pro smallmouth spinning rod, Shimano stradic 2000 reel and 6# test Stren green line. Owner Dropshot hook and Berkly 4" dropshot worms and 3" berkly dropshot pulse worms, both in Emerald shiner. Wife wanted to leave so that was it, the 2 year old was acting up. My 6 yr old son said his arms were tired after netting so many fish.

Now I have never used a this rig before but had read up on fishing it. I set a 1/4 oz weight 20" below the bait and nose hooke the worm. Fishing the same grass bed 14 feet deep w/ scattered boulders, I caught 3 keepers in 10 minutes. Man it is fun to hook a 2 pound bass on such a noodle rod and 6# test. Moved to another similar loaction

tossed the jig for 15min w/o a bite. Pick up the dropshot rod and and boated 7 more bass in the 1/2 hour. Mostly just casting it out and shaking the rod tip. If no bites after 30 sec to 1 minute move the bait 5 feet and repeat the shaking. reel it in and cast again. I missed 2 fish because I pulled to hard to set the hook but thats what happens when your use to fishing a texas rigged worm and really have to stick them. All in all I was very impressed on how easy it is to use and it seems to be very deadly. I will definatly have one rigged during the next T. This is a good rig to use when it is hot and your just too beat up from the heat. No effort required except to reel in the bass and get the net. Then again it might be alot of work seeing how many bass I caught in just a few hours on a what was supposed to be a bad day for fishing. Let me know if you have any other tips as I'm just learning this new technique.

Good info Dave...been wantin' to try the same thing here at lake here in Ohio. It has alot of deeper structure...next time out I'll give it a try..

Thanks,

TEE

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have all of the stuff to try dropshotting and just have'nt tried it yet. I had a slow day on the lake the other day and it would have been a good time to try something new. You have officially inspired me to do something different next time out.

Bob G.

I made my own dropshoot kit, if anyone has an interest, I'll list what's in it. It covers almost all situations and is in it's own small plastic case. It has 4 styles of worms and 1 3" senko, to cover both nose and wacky style presentations

Dave,

PLease list the cintents. I have not tried that, but with all the grass in the area, may have to try it.

Carlos

Dave -- Never heard of "dropshoting" . Like to try it -- Any info would be great.

Thanks Rick

Well, I just put together a new dropshot kit. I hit Northern bass, sorry BPS but their 5 miles away, and pick up some stuff.

4 3/16 oz EX metal wieghts, Note can't use lead in NH

4 1/4 oz EX metal wieghts, these have swivels and line pinchers

7 #1 owner mosquito hooks for wacky and weeds

7 #1/0 Owner drop shot hoots for nose hooking

15 Powerbait 3" pulse worms in Emerald Shad

15 Powerbait 3" pulse worms in Pro Blue (pick your favorite)

15 Powerbait 4" drop shot worms in Emerald Shad

15 Powerbait 4" drop shot worms in Pro Blue (pick your fav. color)

10 3" Pumpkin / Black/ green flake senko's

1 box

Less than $25.

I designed this kit to be simple and cover clear and stained

water. I would have put in another senko, but no more room.

I decided on power baits because they are easy to replace once I run out and they work!

I can fit 20 pc' each of the powerbaits and 15 of the senkos. That should last a day of fishing. I kept the colors simple because I can dock or the baits with spike it or sharpies and not load up the boat w/ more plastics.

Besides, color is important but more so to the angler. I wanted it to be simple.

Latest posts

Back